Weather events

Reacher

44 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

I was reading a Homesteading Page on Gab last week. One guy periodically uses Solanpas heat pads on his pipes. I thought that was a unique use. Cheap, disposable...

Well, I bought some Solanpas, and will try it.

Guy at Home Depot told me not to use heat tape on PVC. Said it'd cause more issues than it solved...

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

My middle daughter just sent me this pic of her house in Naperville...

Resized_20210215_095226.jpeg

Does she live at the end of a court? I grew up in Naperville living at the end of a court. The snow plows would make huge piles that we would make into forts for our snowball fights. Tragically, a child died  a year or two back when a pile collapsed.

• Sad 1

Just now, Reacher said:

Does she live at the end of a court? I grew up in Naperville living at the end of a court. The snow plows would make huge piles that we would make into forts for our snowball fights. Tragically, a child died  a year or two back when a pile collapsed.

Yeah, it's on a cul-de-sac...

She gets out there with her snow blower and shovel and clears her driveway and sidewalk herself. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I was just reading on that...PVC doesn't do as well as CPVC or PEX when you apply heat to it. The guy at Home Depot said if I used it, there's a chance it could damage the pipe or cause a leak.

Hmmmm.  They do make heat tapes that thermostatically controlled.

• Like 1

Just now, IUFLA said:

Some of the people here in Splendora just had to get out in there trucks and see if ice and snow were really that hard to drive on...

My wife is worried one of them will take out our fence by the road...

It's all about the tires.... and driver experience. I have snowflake rated all terrains on my pickup and they were fantastic on ice the first winter. This is my third, and last, winter with them. While they still have decent tread, the ice gripping just isn't there anymore. It's always that first storm of the winter when people realize their tires aren't up to par.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rico said:

I suppose you got a pretty wooden fence?

Nah, just a 4 board with a top rail. Those horses like to kick boards out all the time so going pretty is a waste of money. Note the bottom boards in this pic...they did that this morning...PXL_20210215_114944635.NIGHT.thumb.jpg.53a9ac7a277872f3bac55d28a8cf5c39.jpg

Edited by IUFLA

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Nah, just a 4 board with a top rail. Those horses like to kick boards out all the time so going pretty is a waste of money. Note the bottom boards in this pic...they did that this morning...PXL_20210215_114944635.NIGHT.thumb.jpg.53a9ac7a277872f3bac55d28a8cf5c39.jpg

My old neighbor put up a solar powered electric fence for his horses. Looked nice and no replacing boards!

• Like 1