Weather events

Reacher

18 hours ago, 5fouls said:

You may want to postpone that scenic drive down the California coast.

In this photo provided by Caltrans, a section of Highway 1 is shown collapsed.

Just saw this online as well. I've driven that stretch several times and this exact photo has always been one of my fears. Great photo!

PS...I know it's a week out but sounds like round 2 of Mother Nature is coming for Midwest next weekend. Either tons of snow and windchills in -10 range or both. Plan those Super Bowl get togethers accordingly!

1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

Some meteorologists have called this "heart attack snow," because it's so hard to shovel. I can see why. Almost broke my shovel earlier. 

The widow-maker.  We had 5" of the wet/ heavy snow two weeks ago.  Luckily, the 8" we just got this week was the fluff.

1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

Some meteorologists have called this "heart attack snow," because it's so hard to shovel. I can see why. Almost broke my shovel earlier. 

By no means am I in great physical condition and I was worried about shoveling but some teenagers were out making some extra money shoveling driveways so I did not hesitate to take them up on that offer. Easy peazy! 😎 

On 1/31/2021 at 12:14 PM, TheWatShot said:

I did break my shovel in last weeks wet snow. Really liked that one and now I need to find a new handle. 

We got around a foot over the weekend and forecast for next weekend is showing a low of minus 10. Looks like this snow will be around for awhile. Went from the winter with no snow to one with largest sustained snowpack in years. 

Great for the snowmobiles! 

20210201_095946.jpg

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I did break my shovel in last weeks wet snow. Really liked that one and now I need to find a new handle. 

We got around a foot over the weekend and forecast for next weekend is showing a low of minus 10. Looks like this snow will be around for awhile. Went from the winter with no snow to one with largest sustained snowpack in years. 

Great for the snowmobiles! 

20210201_095946.jpg

Jesus do you live in the Arctic circle? 

• Haha 1

Something else I've not been able to figure out: schools closing, but services provided by the schools remaining open. The schools in my area are closed again tomorrow because of road conditions, but childcare at some of them is still open. I'm not sure why it's safe to bring your kids to childcare but not safe to send them to school. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Something else I've not been able to figure out: schools closing, but services provided by the schools remaining open. The schools in my area are closed again tomorrow because of road conditions, but childcare at some of them is still open. I'm not sure why it's safe to bring your kids to childcare but not safe to send them to school. 

I dont know where you are, but I live in Southern Indiana.  My wife grew up in central Illinois about 1 1/2 hours south of Chicago.

She thinks it's ridiculous that an inch or two of snow shuts down life. I do too. I have been driving 4WD trucks my whole life. 

49 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I dont know where you are, but I live in Southern Indiana.  My wife grew up in central Illinois about 1 1/2 hours south of Chicago.

She thinks it's ridiculous that an inch or two of snow shuts down life. I do too. I have been driving 4WD trucks my whole life. 

I live in northern Indiana. Not in an area that gets lake effect snow, but I swear the schools here close every time it snows now. When I was growing up, snow days were exciting because of how rarely we had them. Kids today don't get excited for snow days because they expect them. 

• Like 1

We had a little bit of snow on Monday. This is our car and my wife waving at me.

We wanted to take a walk this morning, so we walked the three blocks to where our car was parked. Thank goodness alternate side parking was suspended this week, b/c I don’t think it’s going anywhere soon. 

6FC32BC0-74D6-416F-A57E-2591BE4CEC94.jpeg

Edited by Lostin76
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

We had a little bit of snow on Monday. This is our car and my wife waving at me.

We wanted to take a walk this morning, so we walked the three blocks to where our car was parked. Thank goodness alternate side parking was suspended this week, b/c I don’t think it’s going anywhere soon. 

Looking at that snowplow pile next to your car, I'm thankful they didn't cave in the side of your car!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lostin76 said:

You got 40 degree temps and rain coming. You'll be fine. We have 1 day with high above 32 in the next 2 weeks. 35 this Thursday with a few more inches of snow expected. 

23 minutes ago, Reacher said:

You got 40 degree temps and rain coming. You'll be fine. We have 1 day with high above 32 in the next 2 weeks. 35 this Thursday with a few more inches of snow expected. 

Right?  I have some single digit nights coming up and my high limit switch on my air handler needs replaced. Cant get my house above 61 right now. I guess I should get off my ass and fix it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Right?  I have some single digit nights coming up and my high limit switch on my air handler needs replaced. Cant get my house above 61 right now. I guess I should get off my ass and fix it. 

And I'm worried about getting off my duff and making sure the space heater in my well house is working because they are predicting below freezing for the weekend and into Monday! You need to get on it man!

• Like 1

On 2/2/2021 at 8:48 PM, Drroogh said:

May I sugest https://diy.repairclinic.com

Had the control board for my furnace go out and within Saturday (1 day) delivery and my limited expertise was up and running Saturday!

Thank you for the link. I'm a novice compared to the rest of my family

After my grandpa retired from the army he did plumbing and HVAC, my dad worked in maintenance and plumbed and did HVAC work, my stepdad is a Senior Electrician at a power Plant.  Come from a family of truck drivers and people who have built their own houses.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

2-4 inches of snow coming to northern Indiana tonight. It's supposed to start off as rain and not fully transition to snow until after midnight, but that hasn't stopped a handful of basketball games from already being postponed. Crazy. 

No rain here

6BD5E647-5C15-4AD0-9A39-A8E592263B6C.jpeg

E9FEE1BC-9774-4254-9A1B-7A2B72A27586.jpeg