Jerome Hunter/Damezi Anderson

IUFLA

12 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I did not mean myself but players back in the 80's and 90's starters played more than what starters do today.  If those guys who were less athletic LOL! and slower and weaker can do then why not these great athletes we have today.

Oh no, somehow you would find a way to say yesterday's players were better or worked harder than today's, lol. 

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Oh no, somehow you would find a way to say yesterday's players were better or worked harder than today's, lol. 

No I am not saying that but wonder why it is a stretch for players to play more than 25 minutes in a game.  I don't think players were any better back then but they stayed longer so the game itself was a lot better.  The longer you stay in school the better of a college player you become so I guess in a way they were better college players back then.

You can see Hunter's potential. He's out of sync at times.  It's a work in progress getting him back. 

Right now, he's trying to just get his legs under him and shake the rust off.  There are times where it looks ugly but I think that just underscores the rust factor.  Unfortunately, there will probably be further adjustment when the competition ratchets up, because he's not going to have any experience playing teams as skilled as the MSU's of the world.

I like Damezi's mindset but sometimes it's ugly with him too--whether it is a shot that misses like he's somebody at the HPER or a botched assignment--but he looks like he's putting effort in. He may benefit greatly when the adjustment phase is over and he looks like a vet.

4 hours ago, JugRox said:

A 100% healthy Rob P will help a ton....he is a 20 min per game guy.

But yeah......would be nice if Hunter or Anderson stepped up. Right now.....Anderson seems to be in front of Hunter. Will that change later on? 

outside of davis, hunter and anderson look they will be the last guys off the bench right now. of course, a lot can change as it's still early in the season. when rotations tighten late in the season, they could find themselves limited

23 minutes ago, coachv said:

then i'll just add some seasoning (for those who insist smith is not a 3). when coach miller draws up plays on his dry-erase board, who do you think is carrying out the assignment of the 3? 

If you run a 4 around 1 offense them which wing is the 3 and which is the 4? My guess 2 guards 2 wings and a post

I just figured out why I am out of coaching.  In 20 plus years I never used numbers.  Only In Practice when running out Carolina break drill.

2 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

C'mon HH.  Scott had to walk 5 miles to school.  Then had to walk 5 miles back home.  Funny, though, it was uphill both ways!

4 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I am sorry but no player should be gassed after playing 28 minutes in a game.  If these kids are supposed to be great athletes then they should be ok averaging 28 minutes per game.

i say this over and over again.  they are 18-21 year old kids.  they should be in terrific shape.  there are plenty of breaks in the game. 

people were giving Hunter way too much credit coming into this season.  with Durham, TJD, Green, Smith, Brunk, and Phinisee (when healthy) you have 6 guys who should play a ton of minutes.  Franklin can play good minutes as a back up PG.  Davis spot minutes as a bruiser at the 5.  sure, it would be great if Anderson or Hunter could be a 9th guy and Thompson could be that guy as well, but i don't think Hunter and Anderson's role concerns me a whole lot.  

33 minutes ago, coachv said:

then i'll just add some seasoning (for those who insist smith is not a 3). when coach miller draws up plays on his dry-erase board, who do you think is carrying out the assignment of the 3? 

Smith is a basketball player that is about 6'7" with a hight motor most of the time that plays very good defense and is really good on the boards.  He struggles at times with his ball handeling and post entry passes.  He has different strengths than others of a similar size on our team who tend to be more perimeter oriented.  The other 4 players on the floor will determine what position Smith plays.

I thought Damezi looked like a completely different player until the Princeton game.  Then last night he was looking good again for the first several minutes, only to regress again.  I guess the hope is for him to be a 3-point threat (which we could use), but I still feel he's too trigger happy.  None the less, he's certainly improved over what little we saw from him last season.

Hunter will take time.  Not only is he essentially a freshman, but one that spent the better part of a year unable to play/practice with full contact.  He may very well have been much further along at this point in the season last year if he hadn't developed the medical condition. His game didn't just go stagnant during his down time, it (naturally) atrophied.

I'm pretty optimistic that he'll develop the comfort and confidence to shine, but nothing is ever guaranteed.  Thus far, it's great to see that he's apparently suffering no ill effects of his condition.

Just now, rico said:

God, I love rec league stories.

It is the truth though and it was a good league to play in.  I played from the age of 17 to 35 until I had to have knee surgery.  I never said I was some great player who should have been this great college player but I could shoot the ball.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

It is the truth though and it was a good league to play in.  I played from the age of 17 to 35 until I had to have knee surgery.  I never said I was some great player who should have been this great college player but I could shoot the ball.

And play 25 minutes a game as well...Bravo!!!!!!

1 minute ago, rico said:

And play 25 minutes a game as well...Bravo!!!!!!

Actually one time we had two games in a day and only had 6 players so I played every minute of the first game.  We played 20 minute halves with a running clock until the last two minutes of each half and timeouts.  Second game I played all the game until the final minute or two of the game but had to leave the game due to having leg cramps in both claves.

1 hour ago, coachv said:

Oh man, you keep coming back with this but of course, not once have you managed to describe what Smith does, you know, as a "3". You really should just drop this. You can't describe anything he does as a "3", because he doesn't play as a "3", or you have no grasp of what a "3" is. The real question, maybe, is why I even bother responding. Apparently, pointless. 

Archived