2020 MLB Discussion

5fouls

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, rico said:

Breaking news out of Wrigleyville...the Cubs send Tony Kemp to the A's for Alfonso Rivas.

This is one of those moves that in 2-3 seasons you go when did Theo get this guy? Young up and coming prospect who can play first and both corner spots in outfield. Above average hitter. Drafted in 2018 went from Single A to AAA in one year.

9 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

This is one of those moves that in 2-3 seasons you go when did Theo get this guy? Young up and coming prospect who can play first and both corner spots in outfield. Above average hitter. Drafted in 2018 went from Single A to AAA in one year.

Good move the Cubs even if it is a "minor" one.  I am scratching my head about Oakland though.  This doesn't seem to be a move they would make.  

9 minutes ago, rico said:

Good move the Cubs even if it is a "minor" one.  I am scratching my head about Oakland though.  This doesn't seem to be a move they would make.  

I don't follow Oakland closely but sounds like they needed a 2nd baseman to compete with others for starting job. Kemp is a vet who give it his all actually every day. Plus the 2 franchises have a history of working well together with trades. Makes sense for both sides. A's need a vet for a position of need. Cubs need to replenish young talent at a position or positions we'll need help with in a couple years.

22 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

He's a bit on the small side (6'1" 190) for a first baseman, and in that position along with corner outfield spots, you want at least some power, and there are some question marks there.

I hope it works out like you and rico think...but for now, all I see is minor league depth, and that's not a bad thing...

Getting anything for Kemp, who was out of options, is a good thing.

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

He's a bit on the small side (6'1" 190) for a first baseman, and in that position along with corner outfield spots, you want at least some power, and there are some question marks there.

I hope it works out like you and rico think...but for now, all I see is minor league depth, and that's not a bad thing...

Getting anything for Kemp, who was out of options, is a good thing.

Yep.....especially on last part. I was surprised we got anything let alone a 4th rounder in 2018 draft for Kemp. 

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Interesting stuff here about the Astros sign stealing business

Point #7 and the video show some opposing players were onto them. Back in the day, Farquhar would have told the catcher to call an outside breaking ball then put one between Gattis's shoulder blades as he leaned out...

I think Strasburg did an interview after a game can't remember exact time but he basically was saying with eyes and body language what everyone knew. Astros were stealing so they changed up things a bit. I think most of us as baseball fans accept a little bit of gray area when it comes to the boys of summer....but this crossed the line no one should ever cross. 

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

I think Strasburg did an interview after a game can't remember exact time but he basically was saying with eyes and body language what everyone knew. Astros were stealing so they changed up things a bit. I think most of us as baseball fans accept a little bit of gray area when it comes to the boys of summer....but this crossed the line no one should ever cross. 

I played organized baseball from the time I was 7 until I was in my mid 20s. Hit against some pretty good pitchers, too (Pat Underwood for one) and I wouldn't have wanted to know what was coming. Trust your eyes...

Plus, if the info was wrong, it could get you hurt...

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I played organized baseball from the time I was 7 until I was in my mid 20s. Hit against some pretty good pitchers, too (Pat Underwood for one) and I wouldn't have wanted to know what was coming. Trust your eyes...

Plus, if the info was wrong, it could get you hurt...

Very good point. I only played until I left for college but knowing count, situation, early or late in game...you can pretty much anticipate 75% of the time what pitch should be thrown (if not higher). I mean don't get me wrong I'd love to know if inner half of the plate cheese is coming but more times than not you don't want to be thinking much in there. It's like one of the most underrated scenes in all of sports movies.....Crash Davis in the box. 

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Very good point. I only played until I left for college but knowing count, situation, early or late in game...you can pretty much anticipate 75% of the time what pitch should be thrown (if not higher). I mean don't get me wrong I'd love to know if inner half of the plate cheese is coming but more times than not you don't want to be thinking much in there. It's like one of the most underrated scenes in all of sports movies.....Crash Davis in the box. 

Lol...that and the "Run Dummy!" scene...

And I'm sure when you played, just like when I played, sneaking a look at the catcher would have you flat on your ass in a heartbeat...

44 minutes ago, rico said:

Josh Donaldson signs with the Twins.

Good signing for the Twinks. 21 mil per is steep, but they limited the years (4, club option for a 5th @ 16 mil or 8 mil buyout...92 mil guaranteed) so they're not paying him past his prime...

AL Central should be between the Twinks and the Indians. Like the Twinks lineup, but the Tribe's pitching...

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Good signing for the Twinks. 21 mil per is steep, but they limited the years (4, club option for a 5th @ 16 mil or 8 mil buyout...92 mil guaranteed) so they're not paying him past his prime...

AL Central should be between the Twinks and the Indians. Like the Twinks lineup, but the Tribe's pitching...

Only 1 deal larger for a guy over 33 and that was Kevin Brown. Usually they don't work at that age but time will tell. Hopefully it works great for Twins and agree....division will be Twins and Indians for next couple years despite the talk at 35th and Shields.

14 minutes ago, rico said:

Now what do the Braves do?

They'll have to call Theo and ask about Bryant again. The did once but thought asking price was so high. Between them and Nats the price for a guy like Bryant keeps going up. Nats have a title so maybe their fans aren't going to care either way....but the Braves need to do something because they've actually become considerably worse this off season.

Archived