Maryland post game

rico

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

I used to be like that too, but now I’ve come to the conclusion that why should I care about ‘doing it the right way’, if literally nobody that’s actually in the sport cares? 

The media doesn’t care about cheating. The players don’t care about cheating. The coaches don’t care about cheating. The NCAA doesn’t care. The schools themselves, except for a handful of old school (IU being one), don’t care. 

Literally no one in the sport cares whatsoever. I don’t want IU’s athletic department creating fake classes. I don’t want IU coaches dropping off bags of cash to recruit. But, I absolutely do want an athletic department that is going to work with its basketball coach and support him in doing what he needs to do to navigate the rules and land top recruits. Support the coach in leveling the playing field. 

If the media doesn’t care, the coaches don’t care, the schools and the NCAA don’t care, I don’t see why I should. 

Preaching to the choir here....but I still give you an AMEN!

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

Assuming this season ends the way many think it will...we need to go out and hire Bruce Pearl.  The man is a winner and we need a winner.  Whoever the IU brass hires I will say this.  And Shane eluded to it with his post from a B1G assistant.  Our fan base is one our greatest assets but also our greatest liabilities.  We need to hire a proven winner.  If not the IU fan base will chew you and spit you out immediately.  Archie and Crean had no street credibility.  We need a coach with street credibility.

Crean was a loser who once had the greatest player on college basketball.  Archie is a mid major guy.  We need a proven winner.  Pearl won at USI, Milwaukee, UT, and Auburn.  The man just wins and I promise you he would crawl not walk to Bloomington.  He’s a winner who brings in multiple 5 stars at Auburn.  Imagine what he could do at IU with a competent administration and compliance department that helps him navigate the waters.

Yep.  A lot of people forget that about Crean.  Give me D-Wade and I'll take my chances.  I don't think they'll even pursue Pearl though- and sadly I don't think Archie's seat is even lukewarm with a 7-13 conference season.

19 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I used to be like that too, but now I’ve come to the conclusion that why should I care about ‘doing it the right way’, if literally nobody that’s actually in the sport cares? 

The media doesn’t care about cheating. The players don’t care about cheating. The coaches don’t care about cheating. The NCAA doesn’t care. The schools themselves, except for a handful of old school (IU being one), don’t care. 

Literally no one in the sport cares whatsoever. I don’t want IU’s athletic department creating fake classes. I don’t want IU coaches dropping off bags of cash to recruit. But, I absolutely do want an athletic department that is going to work with its basketball coach and support him in doing what he needs to do to navigate the rules and land top recruits. Support the coach in leveling the playing field. 

If the media doesn’t care, the coaches don’t care, the schools and the NCAA don’t care, I don’t see why I should. 

Well I for one care and I guess we just have different view point son what we want from our college programs.  Like I said 30 years ago the thought of IU fans wanting to be like UK fans was not heard of but I guess in today's world they just don't care about integrity.

15 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Guys, I am caught in the same trap you are. If you stop feeding the troll it will eventually go away

If you are talking about me, how am I a troll.  I probably have been a fan and followed IU sports longer than you have been alive.  I am sorry that I have more respect about integrity than some of you guys do and I don't want to win at any cost and bring in coaches that are known cheaters.  Pearl has an assistant coach who was arrested in the FBI scandal. Cal has had to vacate two final four appearances and Pitinio had to vacate a national championship.  I am sorry some of you can't have pride in doing things the right way even if it means you don't win a title.

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

If you are talking about me, how am I a troll.  I probably have been a fan and followed IU sports longer than you have been alive.  I am sorry that I have more respect about integrity than some of you guys do and I don't want to win at any cost and bring in coaches that are known cheaters.  Pearl has an assistant coach who was arrested in the FBI scandal. Cal has had to vacate two final four appearances and Pitinio had to vacate a national championship.  I am sorry some of you can't have pride in doing things the right way even if it means you don't win a title.

So did you watch or go to games when Sampson was at IU?  He was how you say it a "known cheater".   I have a hard time seeing you cheer against IU during that time.

Go Hoosiers!!!

2 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

So did you watch or go to games when Sampson was at IU?  He was how you say it a "known cheater".   I have a hard time seeing you cheer against IU during that time.

Go Hoosiers!!!

Yes and would still watch IU if one of those coaches came to IU.  What is different is if they win it would not mean as much to me.  For me when watching Sampson's last team I felt like I had to take a shower after every game.

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

Assuming this season ends the way many think it will...we need to go out and hire Bruce Pearl.  The man is a winner and we need a winner.  Whoever the IU brass hires I will say this.  And Shane eluded to it with his post from a B1G assistant.  Our fan base is one our greatest assets but also our greatest liabilities.  We need to hire a proven winner.  If not the IU fan base will chew you and spit you out immediately.  Archie and Crean had no street credibility.  We need a coach with street credibility.

Crean was a loser who once had the greatest player on college basketball.  Archie is a mid major guy.  We need a proven winner.  Pearl won at USI, Milwaukee, UT, and Auburn.  The man just wins and I promise you he would crawl not walk to Bloomington.  He’s a winner who brings in multiple 5 stars at Auburn.  Imagine what he could do at IU with a competent administration and compliance department that helps him navigate the waters.

If I could give this post 1,000 likes I would. Pearl is 59 but what is so exciting about Pearl is he has that Pete Carroll type of energy & IU could get another 10-15 years out of him. Even better, I think it would also give Pearl time to groom his successor. Everything Knight should have done at Indiana, Pearl could actually accomplish if he is inclined to think this way. 

Just now, hoosiermd said:

If I could give this post 1,000 likes I would. Pearl is 59 but what is so exciting about Pearl is he has that Pete Carroll type of energy & IU could get another 10-15 years out of him. Even better, I think it would also give Pearl time to groom his successor. Everything Knight should have done at Indiana, Pearl could actually accomplish if he is inclined to think this way. 

Yeah if RMK got to groom his successor it would have meant we would had Pat as the coach for a few years.

To me, the answer regarding how to salvage this season and to perhaps move forward in the next few years involve two distinct things:

1. I need better bourbon that I can't afford, so please send some along. 

2. @5fouls apparently needs another divorce so we can start fresh. 

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Yeah if RMK got to groom his successor it would have meant we would had Pat as the coach for a few years.

Not necessarily. Knight didn't care about legacy at Indiana for whatever reason or reasons. But it's anathema to make a statement that Pat would have been the successor. That's just knee jerk.

Just now, hoosiermd said:

Not necessarily. Knight didn't care about legacy at Indiana for whatever reason or reasons. But it's anathema to make a statement that Pat would have been the successor. That's just knee jerk.

Just how I felt and he showed at TT that he would do what it took to get Pat the job

3 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

Go Hoosiers!!!

I have empathy for IU Scott's position having been an IU fan for over 50 yrs.  He tends to look at the rules as black or white and should not be violated. I commend him for that. The problem is that the rules are created and enforced by the NCAA.  The problem that the NCAA has created for itself is a 2 tier justice system.  Tarkanian called them out when he said the NCAA was so mad at UK they were giving Cleveland State another year of probation!.  The big money programs are exempt from the rules!  

Due to the NCAA's own inconsistencies in enforcement the rules have become suggestions to the big names.  In my opinion, that means all the schools are operating in the gray area because no one knows which rules will apply to which schools(see UL and hookers, UNC fake classes, and compare to Sampson Phone calls, etc.)

If there are only 50 shades of gray, then I am comfortable working in at least the first 25.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I guess I am different because like I said I would rather  go 0-32 than have a coach like Cal or Pearl coaching my team.  To me I am more embarrassed of this fan base the last 20 years than I am of this program and their mediocrity.  I use to think this fan base was the most knowledgeable fan base and ones that took pride in integrity but today I guess that has went away.

You do realize that players are going to be able to be compensated soon right?

13 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Yes and would still watch IU if one of those coaches came to IU.  What is different is if they win it would not mean as much to me.  For me when watching Sampson's last team I felt like I had to take a shower after every game.

13 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Man that sounds pretty hypocritical to me.   You cheered for Sampson's teams just like the rest of us.  If you had the integrity you keep calling people out on then you would have taken a break from IU basketball.

Go Hoosiers!!!

58 minutes ago, rico said:

Preaching to the choir here....but I still give you an AMEN!

Exactly, I view it like speeding anymore.  When you are out on the road, you are generally given the latitude to do about 7 to 10 over without any real repercussions even though the letter of the law says that this is the limit.  You get in trouble when you are caught egregiously breaking the limit.

I believe that IU is in the slow lane, if the speed says 55, then by God that is what we will do.  I want to move to that 10ish over lane, the lane almost everyone is driving and nobody feels like they are doing much wrong, including those who enforce the limit. 

16 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Exactly, I view it like speeding anymore.  When you are out on the road, you are generally given the latitude to do about 7 to 10 over without any real repercussions even though the letter of the law says that this is the limit.  You get in trouble when you are caught egregiously breaking the limit.

I believe that IU is in the slow lane, if the speed says 55, then by God that is what we will do.  I want to move to that 10ish over lane, the lane almost everyone is driving and nobody feels like they are doing much wrong, including those who enforce the limit. 

The "gray area" so to speak?  I am cool with that.

Disclaimer:  I use a radar detector!

19 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

The problem with all of this we would need to fire our compliance department first! Then you have to wonder how much better would CAM be if he was allowed in the 10 over lane.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Well I for one care and I guess we just have different view point son what we want from our college programs.  Like I said 30 years ago the thought of IU fans wanting to be like UK fans was not heard of but I guess in today's world they just don't care about integrity.

30 years ago is irrelevant. The world is a different place. Some things 30+ years ago were great, others were abhorrent. We live in the current landscape, not 1982. 

Stop with the UK stuff. I specifally said I don’t want coaches dropping off bags of cash or creating fake classes. But, using rules to our advantage. Being creative within the sprint of rules and finding ways to take advantage of rules to level playing field is perfectly fine with me, especially when nobody seems to care. 

Let’s have a compliance department that works to creatively support coaches to help them navigate the rules, instead of operating as a separate entity trying to bust our coach. 

48 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

You do realize that players are going to be able to be compensated soon right?

Yeah but I don't think there will be as many players who will get these endorsements than some think.  Especially once they get rid of the one and done rule how many guys will really be that marketable.  How many on this years team do you think will get endorsements?  Also how will this work when it comes to recruiting, will it be that once they get here you can help them get those endorsements or can you have them in place to promise those players.

14 minutes ago, BGleas said:

30 years ago is irrelevant. The world is a different place. Some things 30+ years ago were great, others were abhorrent. We live in the current landscape, not 1982. 

Stop with the UK stuff. I specifally said I don’t want coaches dropping off bags of cash or creating fake classes. But, using rules to our advantage. Being creative within the sprint of rules and finding ways to take advantage of rules to level playing field is perfectly fine with me, especially when nobody seems to care. 

Let’s have a compliance department that works to creatively support coaches to help them navigate the rules, instead of operating as a separate entity trying to bust our coach. 

So what are those little areas are you talking about that IU doesn't allow our coaches to do.  Is it not allowing certain kids in because they don't have good enough academics to get into IU.  I guess I am not aware of what is holding back IU that you guys are talking about.

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

So what are those little areas are you talking about that IU doesn't allow our coaches to do.  Is it not allowing certain kids in because they don't have good enough academics to get into IU.  I guess I am not aware of what is holding back IU that you guys are talking about.

C'mon, we talked about this awhile back as to what the gray areas are.  Zion Williamson's parents with a house, etc.

Archived