Michael McRobbie

3 minutes ago, Indykev said:

I GAVE McRobbies daughter a ride to a football game. I said i heard he doesn't like sports. She said Quote, He hates sports but only goes to the games because he thinks it would look bad if the president wasn't there. She went on to say thats the only reason any member of their family was there, because McRobbie made them go. I also know a professor who's office is 2 doors down from McRobbies. He said he has never spoke to the man and couldnt wait for him to be gone.

When will he be gone

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

When will he be gone

IMO the better question is who will be his replacement?  If it’s Robel things won’t get better, not sure Wheeler will care about athletics either though I think he has more vision.  But I feel like IU would not bring in someone from the outside though I am sure they will do their diligence in exploring their options not in and out of IU.

I believe he is gone end of June 2021, one year after the completion of the bicentennial.  I would suspect the search will start once the bicentennial is over.

1 hour ago, iuthruandthru said:

IMO the better question is who will be his replacement?  If it’s Robel things won’t get better, not sure Wheeler will care about athletics either though I think he has more vision.  But I feel like IU would not bring in someone from the outside though I am sure they will do their diligence in exploring their options not in and out of IU.

I believe he is gone end of June 2021, one year after the completion of the bicentennial.  I would suspect the search will start once the bicentennial is over.

We’d be better off digging up Myles Brand than promoting Robel.  And I’ll be shocked if Dolson isn’t the new AD.  People need to start marching and stop going to games or it’s going to get ugly.

12 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

We’d be better off digging up Myles Brand than promoting Robel.  And I’ll be shocked if Dolson isn’t the new AD.  People need to start marching and stop going to games or it’s going to get ugly.

See this is the deal...if fans don’t do anything it could get worse. Our program(s) are in jeopardy big time  

Butler is currently ranked #6 in the AP with a "no name" coach and facilities that smell like old Gordon Hawyard jockstraps. This isn't about money. It's about mentality. Unfortunately, IU has lost it and a surfeit of the fan base thinks it can be solved by either throwing money at it or shuffling deck chairs. 

4 minutes ago, BEKA said:

Butler is currently ranked #6 in the AP with a "no name" coach and facilities that smell like old Gordon Hawyard jockstraps. This isn't about money. It's about mentality. Unfortunately, IU has lost it and a surfeit of the fan base thinks it can be solved by either throwing money at it or shuffling deck chairs. 

No one is saying “if we ONLY change our facilities we’d be good again.” Of course there will always be examples like Butler and good for them!

but truth is if you’re truly ALL IN then you leave no stone unturned to benefit the building of your program.

If we want to be a top 5 program then make every single decision you have control over like every other top five program. If any program has something you don’t as an advantage then YOU go out and at least match it. Period.

We’re not all in. That’s not an excuse for CAM. If he doesn’t win then get a new coach. But in the meantime tighten everything UP

I like Chris Reynolds as much as anybody.  He's a sharp and qualified guy.  If he's the best person, so be it.  But, I would like an exhaustive search with no limitations.  We've got to get out of the business of hiring based on connections.  Like when we once hired a brash young coach from West Point, the best person may have no link to IU.

Also, even within the IU "family," we should take a good look at Pat Kraft.  In researching him, he has a big emphasis on marketing in his background.  He may be a next level thinker who isn't married to the staid thought processes we suffer through now.

But, there may be someone terrific beyond those two.  

The scariest thing is we have unqualified people making bad hires.

20 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Dolson may be a nice guy but he's not qualified for the job.  He probably knows it himself, since he didn't pursue a Ph.D., JD, or is a former head coach of a major team (a la Barry Alvarez).  He should know how that limits him.

Which is exactly why he’ll get it.  To be a puppet.  Pat probably already has the Ziemer firm drafting a lifetime contract.

15 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I like Chris Reynolds as much as anybody.  He's a sharp and qualified guy.  If he's the best person, so be it.  But, I would like an exhaustive search with no limitations.  We've got to get out of the business of hiring based on connections.  Like when we once hired a brash young coach from West Point, the best person may have no link to IU.

Also, even within the IU "family," we should take a good look at Pat Kraft.  In researching him, he has a big emphasis on marketing in his background.  He may be a next level thinker who isn't married to the staid thought processes we suffer through now.

But, there may be someone terrific beyond those two.  

The scariest thing is we have unqualified people making bad hires.

YES!!!!!

What I don't understand is why any booster would accept this garbage adminstration. Trust me if I had lots of money I would tell the administration and McRobbie how this is unacceptable. I would tell them not another dime would flow to them if they didn't change their ways or resign. I would rally every other booster I could. Colorful language would be used. I appreciate the fact they want our school to be an outstanding academic institution. But stop denying us of what we are. We love basketball it's part of our DNA. We should be an elite program. And what's sad is people are forgetting this. And I can tell you people know we have been and still continue to be a great  academic school. Only arrogant fools and at PU and MU and the ignorant ones in Kentucky would say otherwise. Why in the world would we allow a foreigner with no understanding of this to take over is beyond me. I say this as no insult to people from other countries but he doesn't get it. He's a complete 180 over the previous president in all the wrong ways. Maybe Archie is the right guy maybe he's not. But how can anyone expect to succeed in this environment. It starts from the top and that's where our anger should be focused. 

All this discussion about the administration is so lame.  A bunch of innuendo pushed out by the Peegs crowd (who are totally invested in propping up the coaching staff to maintain access) with essentially nothing concrete to back it up.  Is the coaching staff prevented from cheating in recruiting as much as they might want to?  Probably.  Was the university a little cheap 5-10 years ago?  Sure.  But it’s just absolutely ridiculous to suggest Michael McRobbie is the reason this team can’t shoot to save its life, or why the players keep quitting and getting blown out.  Tom Crean did a better job under the exact same administration, and the program has regressed since he was fired.  How is that on anyone but the coaching staff?

2 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

All this discussion about the administration is so lame.  A bunch of innuendo pushed out by the Peegs crowd (who are totally invested in propping up the coaching staff to maintain access) with essentially nothing concrete to back it up.  Is the coaching staff prevented from cheating in recruiting as much as they might want to?  Probably.  Was the university a little cheap 5-10 years ago?  Sure.  But it’s just absolutely ridiculous to suggest Michael McRobbie is the reason this team can’t shoot to save its life, or why the players keep quitting and getting blown out.  Tom Crean did a better job under the exact same administration, and the program has regressed since he was fired.  How is that on anyone but the coaching staff?

Once again, NO ONE is saying we can’t shoot because McRobbie doesn’t like sports! What is so hard for some of you to grasp. I don’t get this. There’s two issues being discussed...

1.) Our team RIGHT NOW sucks. That is a micro issue.

2.) Our PROGRAM has sucked for too long to pin that on a coach and current team.

Some of you want to fire Archie and start over, FINE. The point some of us are making is that there’s a high likelihood we will be back at this spot again 4-5 years from now with someone else as coach. If you want to be a top 5 power in college basketball for the long haul And consistently it takes a completely unified front at all levels from top to bottom.

If the president of a school gives zero craps about whether the men’s basketball program is back to its status or not then we’ll just keep the revolving door going at the head coach and AD position until we get lucky and can land some coach who’s so bigger than life that he can overcome things other top programs have that we don’t. This isn’t rocket science to get. Stop acting like anyone is saying “get a new president and we’ll increase our three point percentage.” NO ONE is saying that or even hinting at it. 🤦🏻‍♂️

2 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

No one is saying he's faultless, but why was he so much better at Dayton?  Why was he able to get to an E8 in the tournament at Dayton when IU can't even qualify for the tournament?  Did he suddenly go brain-dead on the trip from Ohio?  If he didn't, what has changed?  The competition level? Some games yes, some games no, but it's pretty hard to argue that his Dayton teams were inferior to his IU teams thus far.  You don't think it's at all possible that he's found the compliance environment and the culture quite a bit different than what he was used to at Dayton?  It's also not at all uncommon for a program to take a step or two back when adjusting to a different coaching philosophy. 

Of the four examples I gave in the previous page, it's a lot more cold facts than innuendo. #1 is demonstrably true.  All you have to do is look at contracts from different power five schools to see that IU pays less than most of the big boys.  There's also plenty of evidence for #2 looking back through IU's recent compliance history...death penalties for excess calls, players ruled ineligible over old bumper stickers and not allowing recruits to cross a gym floor just prior to a game. #3 is likewise well documented with McRobbie publicly thanking the athletic department for the millions it paid over for his newest academic building and there's plenty of evidence for #4 if you're willing to be objective and take off the crimson colored glasses.  I don't see much innuendo at all for the factors I cited earlier and I think it's reasonable to draw a conclusion that they (small budget for opponents, excessively aggressive compliance, money diverted from athletics and nice but not top-notch facilities) would hamper any coaching staff placed under those constraints.  There's probably a lot more that hasn't bubbled into the public domain, but those items I cited aren't exactly a secret to anyone paying attention.  How do you think Chris Mack would be doing at Louisville if his compliance department nuked the program like IU's did at the end of the Sampson regime?  What do you think IU's compliance department would have done to the program if they'd discovered fake classes like North Carolina used to keep their players eligible?  I can guess that it would have been quite different than the defensive stance employed by UNC.

It would be interesting to get Tom Crean's take on the differences in how IU is ran compared to Marquette and Georgia.  If you think the examples I cited have no impact on a coach's level of success, we're not going to agree.

34 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

No one is saying he's faultless, but why was he so much better at Dayton?  Why was he able to get to an E8 in the tournament at Dayton when IU can't even qualify for the tournament?  Did he suddenly go brain-dead on the trip from Ohio?  If he didn't, what has changed?  The competition level? Some games yes, some games no, but it's pretty hard to argue that his Dayton teams were inferior to his IU teams thus far.  You don't think it's at all possible that he's found the compliance environment and the culture quite a bit different than what he was used to at Dayton?  It's also not at all uncommon for a program to take a step or two back when adjusting to a different coaching philosophy. 

Of the four examples I gave in the previous page, it's a lot more cold facts than innuendo. #1 is demonstrably true.  All you have to do is look at contracts from different power five schools to see that IU pays less than most of the big boys.  There's also plenty of evidence for #2 looking back through IU's recent compliance history...death penalties for excess calls, players ruled ineligible over old bumper stickers and not allowing recruits to cross a gym floor just prior to a game. #3 is likewise well documented with McRobbie publicly thanking the athletic department for the millions it paid over for his newest academic building and there's plenty of evidence for #4 if you're willing to be objective and take off the crimson colored glasses.  I don't see much innuendo at all for the factors I cited earlier and I think it's reasonable to draw a conclusion that they (small budget for opponents, excessively aggressive compliance, money diverted from athletics and nice but not top-notch facilities) would hamper any coaching staff placed under those constraints.  There's probably a lot more that hasn't bubbled into the public domain, but those items I cited aren't exactly a secret to anyone paying attention.  How do you think Chris Mack would be doing at Louisville if his compliance department nuked the program like IU's did at the end of the Sampson regime?  What do you think IU's compliance department would have done to the program if they'd discovered fake classes like North Carolina used to keep their players eligible?  I can guess that it would have been quite different than the defensive stance employed by UNC.

It would be interesting to get Tom Crean's take on the differences in how IU is ran compared to Marquette and Georgia.  If you think the examples I cited have no impact on a coach's level of success, we're not going to agree.

Why was Tom Crean able to get to the Final Four at Marquette but not at IU?  Fluke tourney runs and some short-term mid-major success really don’t mean much when it comes to a coach’s ability to build a program that can win in the Big Ten.  But look, I don’t disagree with you that IU isn’t the ideal situation when it comes to building a successful program.  Like I’ve said numerous times, the administration not allowing the coaching staff to drop bags in recruiting like they need to is extremely frustrating.

But what gets me is we fired a coach who (in retrospect) had some pretty solid success at IU because we thought we could get someone better.  I was one of those people.  Then we went out and hired someone who in my opinion is no better than Crean at best, and who honestly looks worse up to this point.  No one ever harped on the administration like this when Crean was here, and now it’s all anyone wants to talk about.  IU has the exact same administration that was in place in 2016, and the program has regressed — how is that on anyone but the new coaching staff?  Literally the only way replacing Glass, McRobbie, and whatever BoT boogeymen people like to complain about on here will have any effect on Archie’s ability to run the program is if the new admin allows Archie to recruit like his brother.  Everything outside of that is laughably trivial.  And if you don’t want that aspect of the program to change, really our only other option is finding a coach that’s better than the last two we’ve had — and those guys are out there. Just a matter of finding the right one.

26 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Why was Tom Crean able to get to the Final Four at Marquette but not at IU?  Fluke tourney runs and some short-term mid-major success really don’t mean much when it comes to a coach’s ability to build a program that can win in the Big Ten.  But look, I don’t disagree with you that IU isn’t the ideal situation when it comes to building a successful program.  Like I’ve said numerous times, the administration not allowing the coaching staff to drop bags in recruiting like they need to is extremely frustrating.

But what gets me is we fired a coach who (in retrospect) had some pretty solid success at IU because we thought we could get someone better.  I was one of those people.  Then we went out and hired someone who in my opinion is no better than Crean at best, and who honestly looks worse up to this point.  No one ever harped on the administration like this when Crean was here, and now it’s all anyone wants to talk about.  IU has the exact same administration that was in place in 2016, and the program has regressed — how is that on anyone but the new coaching staff?  Literally the only way replacing Glass, McRobbie, and whatever BoT boogeymen people like to complain about on here will have any effect on Archie’s ability to run the program is if the new admin allows Archie to recruit like his brother.  Everything outside of that is laughably trivial.  And if you don’t want that aspect of the program to change, really our only other option is finding a coach that’s better than the last two we’ve had — and those guys are out there. Just a matter of finding the right one.

I think you're premature in calling Crean more successful than Miller at this stage in the game, especially when one considers how different the offensive and defensive schemes are in this system vs. Crean's system. Maybe Archie could have done better if he'd been allowed to simply clean house and start over right out of the gate vs. having to keep players that simply didn't fit his system?  Who knows.  What I do know is that 2.5 seasons into a complete 180 in system philosophy is pretty quick to draw hard and fast conclusions and really isn't what is being argued here.  Maybe Crean was more compatible with the administration's overall philosophy.  What's being argued here is that the administration is a long way from supportive and helpful toward coaches trying to run a high-level athletic program.  When  you start making it a Crean vs. Miller argument, you're making an entirely different debate.

20 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I get what people are saying about the administration and probably a lot of it is true.  My question is why are the women's basketball, football and baseball all having their best period they have ever had.

All 3 are coached by Hoosiers maybe has something to do with it.  Maybe not 

20 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Could be but the problem I see is that there would be no Hoosiers that I can think of that I would want coaching IU. 

Me either but I think the coaches of those programs view IU as their destination job and have strong ties to the state. Lots of obstacles in play for the men basketball team to be great again

6 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Me either but I think the coaches of those programs view IU as their destination job and have strong ties to the state. Lots of obstacles in play for the men basketball team to be great again

I know this is not a solution to what is wrong on the court but I just wish our fan base can come together and not be so fragmented.  Also I would like for the athletic department to try to bring but back a lot former players and let them be part of the Hoosier family.  You watch a Duke, UNC and UK you always see former players sitting behind the bench and would like to see more of that here.

1 minute ago, Hoosier987 said:

Just in case nobody saw this...Interesting tweet from Alan Henderson 2 weeks ago in relation to our AD search committee..

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">What am I missing? No disrespect to folks &amp; coaches on it, but highest earning sport at <a href="https://twitter.com/IndianaMBB?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@IndianaMBB</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/IUBloomington?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@IUBloomington</a> isnt on AD search committee? Not <a href="https://twitter.com/Archie_Miller?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@Archie_Miller</a> Or a former <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/iubb?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#iubb</a> player? All-time great <a href="https://twitter.com/QuinnBuckner?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@QuinnBuckner</a> is on board of trustees and he’s not on it? Help me out here.</p>&mdash; Alan Henderson (@44AlanHenderson) <a href="https://twitter.com/44AlanHenderson/status/1209167773156466689?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 23, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Ahhhh...could we get a short synopsis, pls.  No habla tweeterese.   😊

8 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I think you're premature in calling Crean more successful than Miller at this stage in the game, especially when one considers how different the offensive and defensive schemes are in this system vs. Crean's system. Maybe Archie could have done better if he'd been allowed to simply clean house and start over right out of the gate vs. having to keep players that simply didn't fit his system?  Who knows.  What I do know is that 2.5 seasons into a complete 180 in system philosophy is pretty quick to draw hard and fast conclusions and really isn't what is being argued here.  Maybe Crean was more compatible with the administration's overall philosophy.  What's being argued here is that the administration is a long way from supportive and helpful toward coaches trying to run a high-level athletic program.  When  you start making it a Crean vs. Miller argument, you're making an entirely different debate.

Except it’s really not a different debate when everyone wants to put the program’s regression on the administration and literally the only thing that’s changed since we won our last conference title is the coaching staff.  And you didn’t address my main point about the administration.  Do you want them to start allowing Archie to play the game in recruiting, or do you want them to go out and find a new coach?  The way I see it, those are really the only two changes the administration can make that are going to have a meaningful impact on the program.

Archived