Michael McRobbie

1 minute ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Honestly no other sport matters to a university expert football and basketball. With football being the biggest money maker. Every other program benefits or suffers because of it. We are a basketball school in the B1G abs since we don’t really spend anything in football, we should be doing everything we can to make our blue bloods program the best in the conference. Money should be no object on anything. It’s what Kentucky dies and it works, even if you don’t like call they have the best residences and practice facilities. 

I am sorry but I must be out of the loop but what does abs mean in your post.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Honestly no other sport matters to a university expert football and basketball. With football being the biggest money maker. Every other program benefits or suffers because of it. We are a basketball school in the B1G abs since we don’t really spend anything in football, we should be doing everything we can to make our blue bloods program the best in the conference. Money should be no object on anything. It’s what Kentucky dies and it works, even if you don’t like call they have the best residences and practice facilities. 

SPOT ON!!!!

47 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

Do to my occupation and having done work on the IU campus,i know for a fact that McRobbie has taken money from the athletic department to fund his special projects...to the point that it was said that it had to be a hindrance to Athletics 

Thank you!!!!! Someone gets it 

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

So why is a lot of the other programs at IU doing well if he doesn't care about sports.  I just don't see how him not caring for sports influences what we see on the court.  We have upgrade all of our facilities and they are paying HC and assistants higher salaries so what has he done that prevented us from winning.

I am not saying you are wrong at all, but how many of the other programs do regular sports viewers care about on a national level.  For example IU soccer has been top notch for decades but most people dont care about soccer. 

IU and men's basketball is synonymous.

BTW I wish success for all of IU programs.

4 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I am not saying you are wrong at all, but how many of the other programs do regular sports viewers care about on a national level.  For example IU soccer has been top notch for decades but most people dont care about soccer. 

IU and men's basketball is synonymous.

BTW I wish success for all of IU programs.

What I am saying is if he did not care about sports and is hurting the basketball program then the other programs would not being do that well.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

What I am saying is if he did not care about sports and is hurting the basketball program then the other programs would not being do that well.

I guess from what I remember is after Knight they didn't want the bball program to be the universities identity. I do get what where you are coming from though. 

I was just thinking maybe the other programs are successful because nobody pays that much attention to them and Glass has some freedom there.

1 minute ago, mrflynn03 said:

I guess from what I remember is after Knight they didn't want the bball program to be the universities identity. I do get what where you are coming from though. 

I was just thinking maybe the other programs are successful because nobody pays that much attention to them and Glass has some freedom there.

I don't think it so much the basketball program but they don't want a coach to think he runs the university and s beyond discipline.

I don’t believe McRobbie does NOT want IU to be good. I’m sure he’d prefer all of them to be nice little cute programs that are successful. But “I’m not gonna lose any sleep or go any extra miles for one program over another and I don’t want any program to get too big or anything.” 

that sort of thing which makes a HUGE difference. IU men’s basketball SHOULD overshadow literally the entire athletic department by a large margin. We should have virtually every measurable thing Duke, UNC, Kansas, etc have at their disposal OR MORE. Particularly if we are going to do everything clean and above board. Our administration should SHOW the fanbase that they are even MORE passionate than us about having a top five program historically.

I have no evidence that McRobbie is all in in the least. At best arguments can be made that he “isn’t impeding.” Man I want a heck of a lot more out of the president of IU in regards to the men’s basketball program than that! Let’s see from fricken passion. 

I know I keep going back to the UT situation, but after the backlash on social media and local sports writers uniting with  Fans, and boosters and everyone pissed as all get out that THEIR program wasn’t being managed well, the AD was removed, and the President held a press conference (picture this at IU with McRobbie) and Beverly made it clear the University heard the voices of their loyal fans and community and SHE as the PRESIDENT said she would find the right AD, and that the football program would return to its glory.

argue McRobbie isn't sabotaging the men’s program and sure I agree, but no one is gonna convince me that he’d be willing to do what Beverly did in the least. No way. We need leadership that understands THIS SCHOOL and what it holds dearest which is its historic, blue blood MENS BASKETBALL PROGRAM!!! 

get him out... 

9 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Each program has "money"...some has access to more money then others...if money is pulled from the program that gets more then its only going to effect that program...where as the lesser funded programs were never affected because they werent getting much anyways.

2 hours ago, HoosierJax said:

Do to my occupation and having done work on the IU campus,i know for a fact that McRobbie has taken money from the athletic department to fund his special projects...to the point that it was said that it had to be a hindrance to Athletics 

That is true.  However, the basketball budget is still big enough to win.  No doubt, Glass had to fundraise more and solicit from donors.  

Don't forget, he approved Glass's Bill of Rights and elevates the AD job in the hierarchy of the administration.

3 hours ago, BADGERVOL said:

I agree with your post. But you didn’t need a lot of that stuff when you had one of the greatest coaches of all time. But we have a blue blood program and we are treating it like a Yugo.

I thought iu had the number 1 or 2 recruiting budget in the nation last year along with paying it's young up and coming coach 12th highest in the nation.  

We could and should complain that the university is poaching B1G money from the athletic department.  

Other than that, I'm totally on board doubling Bruce Pearl, Beard, or someone of their ilk salary and getting this thing moving forward.  

7 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I thought iu had the number 1 or 2 recruiting budget in the nation last year along with paying it's young up and coming coach 12th highest in the nation.  

We could and should complain that the university is poaching B1G money from the athletic department.  

Other than that, I'm totally on board doubling Bruce Pearl, Beard, or someone of their ilk salary and getting this thing moving forward.  

Agreed go big or go home

I’m with the OP on this. This isn’t about recruiting budgets or coaches pay, this about executive and administrative support. The recruiting budget and the coaches salary haven’t mattered for 20 years. IU has had different coaches and the money spent hasn’t mattered.

It’s the executives and the administration, the athletic department and the basketball program all being on the same page. All agreeing that the basketball program is the window into the university and that it needs everyone’s full support. That’s more important than money and that hasn’t been in place for a long time.

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I’m with the OP on this. This isn’t about recruiting budgets or coaches pay, this about executive and administrative support. The recruiting budget and the coaches salary haven’t mattered for 20 years. IU has had different coaches and the money spent hasn’t mattered.

It’s the executives and the administration, the athletic department and the basketball program all being on the same page. All agreeing that the basketball program is the window into the university and that it needs everyone’s full support. That’s more important than money and that hasn’t been in place for a long time.

Yes, but this is what I don't understand. IU basketball is its own division, brand in the infrastructure of IU athletics.  Glass oversees, however - Archie has guys like Comar who has the title as Assistant Athletic Director for Basketball Administration.  And, Brian Walsh.   How many executives do you need?  They hired Archie to do the job and added a position for Comar to isolate the program more and in a way give it the ability to run itself.  And, yes Glass is meeting weekly and in involved.  I guess I need to understand better.  

is it compliance?  IU won championships not going down the grey area when there has always been the grey in recruiting.  ND is very competitive having difficulty with complaince as well.

Again, I want to understand this better.  Sampson, Crean, and Miller were all big hires and fully backed by administration.  

15 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

What I like most about this post - your auto-correct changed does to dies just like it always does to me, lol. 

Kidding aside, agreed, though our football program is on the rise and the stadium got a major overhaul 

5 hours ago, CapnRon said:

Sounds like you don't really have too many specifics.

You've asked a legitimate question that others have also asked so I'll attempt to give you a few examples:

1. I've read more than a couple of times that Archie was embarrassed at how little visiting teams were paid to come to IU...considerably less than most other peer schools.
  2. It's also been said more than a couple of times that IU's compliance department operates on a "gotcha" mentality...looking for the tiniest of infractions to ding a program over while not providing any assistance helping the staff come up with creative ways to stay in compliance but give the program an edge...even if it means pushing the envelope a bit.  Archie gets told no when other coaches work with compliance departments that say, "well, no, but if you did it this way, we think it would be OK."  Instead, our compliance staff says "oh no...recruits can't walk across the floor to get to their seats at games."
  3. As others have mentioned, money gets diverted from athletics to build new buildings for McRobbie's pet projects.  The last one was for some useless-sounding area of academia that I can't specifically remember at the moment...some international study area?
  4. Objectively, as improved as the facilities are, Nebraska's are better...North Carolina's, considerably better.  The gap would be bigger if it weren't for Cody Zeller and Victor Oladipo.  Assembly Hall has as much history as any college basketball venue, but it's miles behind a lot of other stadiums even with the recent renovations.  Don't believe me?  Take a tour of Louisville's YUM center if you get a chance.  While you're in Kentucky, check out Wildcat Lodge where Kentucky basketball players live.  It's not that IU is a dump and Cook Hall isn't very cool, but the competition is often better whether we want to hear that or not.

No IU fan wants to hear this and it pains me to say it, but despite the money spent on IU athletics, it's often not stacking up with competing programs.  You can get by and still succeed with that in lower budget sports like soccer, baseball and swimming, but when it comes to men's basketball and football, the funds diverted away from athletics hurt.  This is on the people at the top.  I'm sure they really think they are doing the athletic department a huge favor with the money spent, but they spend it stupidly.  Knowing the boneheads at the top, they probably think that spending a bunch of money on a top-notch compliance department that justifies it's existence by poring over minutia with a magnifying glass to discover that some booster's ex-wife bought IU bumper stickers 20 years ago, is a great use of athletic department funds.  Why max the recruiting budget to bring kids in and show them facilities that are a step or two below the competition?

I could go on for several more paragraphs on how I think the IU administration is less than helpful with the athletic department, but I think or at least I hope you get the picture by now.  Some ivory tower academic from Australia has no clue what IU basketball means to this state and it shows in the decisions he's made.  In his defense, he's not the first president to have that problem...he's simply the continuation of a long slide into athletic mediocrity in the flagship program and he's too oblivious to understand that fixing it would mean a huge marketing tool to attract students to Bloomington.

Don't even get me started on the soft, loser, participation trophy mentality I suspect is infecting the IU campus...I see no killer instinct on the basketball team and I don't think that's an accident.  I said I was staying away for awhile and I really intended to.  I only came back now because I felt like I'd left some things unsaid that I needed to say to clear my mind.  This topic was the perfect opportunity to lay out my opinions as to what is really wrong with IU basketball.  Thank you, Myles Brand for starting a school I love down that path.  Rant over...I feel better.

12 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

You've asked a legitimate question that others have also asked so I'll attempt to give you a few examples:

1. I've read more than a couple of times that Archie was embarrassed at how little visiting teams were paid to come to IU...considerably less than most other peer schools.
  2. It's also been said more than a couple of times that IU's compliance department operates on a "gotcha" mentality...looking for the tiniest of infractions to ding a program over while not providing any assistance helping the staff come up with creative ways to stay in compliance but give the program an edge...even if it means pushing the envelope a bit.  Archie gets told no when other coaches work with compliance departments that say, "well, no, but if you did it this way, we think it would be OK."  Instead, our compliance staff says "oh no...recruits can't walk across the floor to get to their seats at games."
  3. As others have mentioned, money gets diverted from athletics to build new buildings for McRobbie's pet projects.  The last one was for some useless-sounding area of academia that I can't specifically remember at the moment...some international study area?
  4. Objectively, as improved as the facilities are, Nebraska's are better...North Carolina's, considerably better.  The gap would be bigger if it weren't for Cody Zeller and Victor Oladipo.  Assembly Hall has as much history as any college basketball venue, but it's miles behind a lot of other stadiums even with the recent renovations.  Don't believe me?  Take a tour of Louisville's YUM center if you get a chance.  While you're in Kentucky, check out Wildcat Lodge where Kentucky basketball players live.  It's not that IU is a dump and Cook Hall isn't very cool, but the competition is often better whether we want to hear that or not.

No IU fan wants to hear this and it pains me to say it, but despite the money spent on IU athletics, it's often not stacking up with competing programs.  You can get by and still succeed with that in lower budget sports like soccer, baseball and swimming, but when it comes to men's basketball and football, the funds diverted away from athletics hurt.  This is on the people at the top.  I'm sure they really think they are doing the athletic department a huge favor with the money spent, but they spend it stupidly.  Knowing the boneheads at the top, they probably think that spending a bunch of money on a top-notch compliance department that justifies it's existence by poring over minutia with a magnifying glass to discover that some booster's ex-wife bought IU bumper stickers 20 years ago, is a great use of athletic department funds.  Why max the recruiting budget to bring kids in and show them facilities that are a step or two below the competition?

I could go on for several more paragraphs on how I think the IU administration is less than helpful with the athletic department, but I think or at least I hope you get the picture by now.  Some ivory tower academic from Australia has no clue what IU basketball means to this state and it shows in the decisions he's made.  In his defense, he's not the first president to have that problem...he's simply the continuation of a long slide into athletic mediocrity in the flagship program and he's too oblivious to understand that fixing it would mean a huge marketing tool to attract students to Bloomington.

Don't even get me started on the soft, loser, participation trophy mentality I suspect is infecting the IU campus...I see no killer instinct on the basketball team and I don't think that's an accident.  I said I was staying away for awhile and I really intended to.  I only came back now because I felt like I'd left some things unsaid that I needed to say to clear my mind.  This topic was the perfect opportunity to lay out my opinions as to what is really wrong with IU basketball.  Thank you, Myles Brand for starting a school I love down that path.  Rant over...I feel better.

Sounds like you have specifics.

13 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

BINGO!  All started with Myles Brand and carried over since.  It really is a top-bottom issue with IU basketball.  New AD hire is more important than any coach hire we’ve whiffed on.  Go get Chris Reynolds!

On 1/4/2020 at 6:19 PM, dbmhoosier said:

To any idiot who says athletics aren’t beneficial to the University I’ll say this.  When I went to law school about 12 years ago Alabama was ranked about #65 in the rankings.  Today they are ranked #25.  Wonder why that might be?

This. I took my kid to the college fair at Bloomington North last year and there were all these Indiana and connecting state schools...and Alabama.  Sports has increased their popularity and they use this to drive high level GPA out of state kids to the school.  Doubt that happens without the football success.

On 1/4/2020 at 6:13 PM, BADGERVOL said:

I can name a couple quickly...

1.) We has faculties that lagged behind for YEARS and when they finally got upgraded we didn’t even strive to have the top facilities in the country

2.) It appears we aren’t willing to pay the kind of money that other blue bloods do for coaches

3.) Many have said for years that athletics are a tag onto the University and not a high priority in his eyes. That trickles down a TON who who is hired in positions and what they’re allowed to even consider doing to build championship caliber programs.

I GAVE McRobbies daughter a ride to a football game. I said i heard he doesn't like sports. She said Quote, He hates sports but only goes to the games because he thinks it would look bad if the president wasn't there. She went on to say thats the only reason any member of their family was there, because McRobbie made them go. I also know a professor who's office is 2 doors down from McRobbies. He said he has never spoke to the man and couldnt wait for him to be gone.

On 1/4/2020 at 6:22 PM, IU Scott said:

That might be but still don't explain the fact that  a lot of our sports programs are doing very well.  So is it that he just doesn't like men's basketball and will do anything to keep them from succeeding.

Let me pose this question.  Does the IU soccer or baseball coaches have any chance of becoming bigger than the school?  I can think of one sport that has floundered while others have succeeded and that is because there is a conscious effort to make sure that sport never allows the coach and attention to be more than the university itself.

17 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

BINGO!  All started with Myles Brand and carried over since.  It really is a top-bottom issue with IU basketball.  New AD hire is more important than any coach hire we’ve whiffed on.  Go get Chris Reynolds!

Chris Reynolds is my top choice

Archived