Indiana University vs Penn State Pre-Game Thread

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Zlinedavid changed the title to Indiana University vs Penn State Pre-Game Thread
13 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

PSU arena is usually not an intimidating place but they have been getting better crowds this year.  Also I noticed the person who used to scream the whole game by the speakers are not there this year so it should make for a better watch.

Used to be a Penn State game was very sparsely attended. You are right, attendance has been way up this season.  In fact, the arena which holds just over 15k, was filled to 97% of capacity for their last home game against Ohio State.

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Guess I'll hope for the same this week as last week. Need a split. 

The way the rest of the season breaks down, I look at it basically as alternating home/away two-game series that we just need to split to make the tourney.

@PSU, @OSU: 16-6

vs. Purdue, vs. Iowa: 17-7

@Michigan, @Minnesota: 18-8

vs. PSU: 19-8

@Purdue, @Illinois: 20-9

vs. Minnesota, vs. Wisconsin: 21-10

This is probably a touch too optimistic for the road games and a touch too pessimistic for the home games, but it’s how I’m looking at it.  And even if we lose both of the games at Illinois and Purdue, we’d still be a lock to get in at 20-11, so we have some leeway here.  No reason we should miss the tourney at this point.

8 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

The way the rest of the season breaks down, I look at it basically as alternating home/away two-game series that we just need to split to make the tourney.

@PSU, @OSU: 16-6

vs. Purdue, vs. Iowa: 17-7

@Michigan, @Minnesota: 18-8

vs. PSU: 19-8

@Purdue, @Illinois: 20-9

vs. Minnesota, vs. Wisconsin: 21-10

This is probably a touch too optimistic for the road games and a touch too pessimistic for the home games, but it’s how I’m looking at it.  And even if we lose both of the games at Illinois and Purdue, we’d still be a lock to get in at 20-11, so we have some leeway here.  No reason we should miss the tourney at this point.

I think we will beat both Minnesota and UW at home and wouldn't be surprise with sweep of PU and Iowa at home as well.

i feel like we are certainly a team who can argue top 25 worthy, but we come in at 30 this week when looking at votes received.  7 B1G teams ahead of us.  6th or 7th in the conference as of today.  clearly that would get us in.  and i want more than anything for us to get in.  i'm just not ready to call it a lock because our next 2 are on the road.  drop both and we are POSSIBLY as low as 10th in the conference and lucky to be getting any votes i would guess?  if that happens, it gets a little scary that we darn well better win the next two home games.  

Nothing that happens with this team win or lose is all that surprising.  Maryliand played really really well due to their hot start and first half knocking down 3's.  IU seems to be improving and gaining confidence from game to game.  If it takes a Maryland like effort to beat IU at home then I feel the chances are solid they will win out at home.  Now just fix the road issues and steal a couple.  The next 2 games on the road are difficult but winnable. 

1 minute ago, ATX_sig said:

Nothing that happens with this team win or lose is all that surprising.  Maryliand played really really well due to their hot start and first half knocking down 3's.  IU seems to be improving and gaining confidence from game to game.  If it takes a Maryland like effort to beat IU at home then I feel the chances are solid they will win out at home.  Now just fix the road issues and steal a couple.  The next 2 games on the road are difficult but winnable. 

I posted a couple weeks back that this team is consistently inconsistent.  Since that time, I see a consistent improvement in ourteam. I am like you, in that... I am feeling better about this team, than just two weeks back.

17 hours ago, GaloisGroupe said:

How well do we match up against PSU?

They're not very big...Watkins is 6'9 and Lamar Stevens is 6'8", but beyond that they have a group of 6'3"-6'4  players that get the bevy of the playing time. Myreon Jones is one of the better 3 pt shooters (41%) in the B10 and is going to need attention.

Last year we held Stevens 6 points below his average in a 64-62 win at University Park. I think Justin will draw that assignment.

We should rule the boards. I say it every game but if we commit to the inside game, match their intensity, and play defense, we should be ok.

That, and limit the turnovers. Penn State leads the B10 in steals and (surprisingly) blocked shots...

11 hours ago, bstall76 said:

Check title, we are thankfully not playing Maryland again.

Doesn’t matter, a very bad trend this yr is teams have career nights shooting the 3 vs this Pac line D!  Hopefully after Wed, your not thankful we’re not playing PS again but count on them having a great stat from 3 as it is our Achilles...

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Archie said we probably won't have Race Wednesday. I feel so bad for some of these kids. Easily has his best game in terms of contribution vs Sparty and gets that one fall to the floor and boom....out a couple if not more.

Do they not allow kids to play banged up anymore?  I watched in slow mo 3 times to make sure he did not hit his head.  Thankfully he did not.  

19 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Do they not allow kids to play banged up anymore?  I watched in slow mo 3 times to make sure he did not hit his head.  Thankfully he did not.  

I think part of it has to do with our litigious society.  Even more than concern for a kid's health.  My opinion.  And I am open to any discussion. 

Archived