Indiana University vs Penn State Pre-Game Thread

12 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I will wait until about 10:30 and let you know what our chances are.

Funny reading it , but unfortunately a valid underlying point. Seems like you never know when the bottom might suddenly fall out on the performance with this group.

No 5+ minute scoring droughts, and no career highs allowed isn't asking for too much either. Just takes a couple of shots to keep things from snowballing sometimes.Mentioned this in the Maryland pregame and that's what we saw. Despite the late fade, IU kept the game from getting out of hand with timely makes. On the road that becomes even more important without the home crowd to feed off of. 

I like how Hunter has played other than his TO late in the Maryland game.I think he might benefit from the unfortunate situation of Thompson ha ving to be out just when his own game was starting to come together a bit more. Since Hunter has gave the same impression of settling in better hopefully it translates to something they haven't really had much of prior to that in B1G play. 

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I expect someone who hasn't hit a 3 all year to hit about 5 or 6 of them.  They get out to an early 18 point lead, we fight back to about 4 with 3 minutes to go and they go on another 14-0 run and win by 18 after we don't score the final 3 minutes.  

Oh wow . I sure hope not.  What would be your score prediction ?  Game in the 70s for them? maybe 80s?  

I prefer it stays somewhere in the 60s, low 70s although for all I know it could be a shootout with 3OTs and 100+ pt each lol Hard to tell with this team although I am joking somewhat.

I'll guess, and go with 69-68 IU. 

55 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I expect someone who hasn't hit a 3 all year to hit about 5 or 6 of them.  They get out to an early 18 point lead, we fight back to about 4 with 3 minutes to go and they go on another 14-0 run and win by 18 after we don't score the final 3 minutes.  

Now this is funny and so accurate. It does seem like on the road whatever team we play sometimes some random (not the star) just starts on fire and next thing we know.....down double digits. We methodically get the ball down low, make a few stops and get the game to under 5 only to have 3-4 possessions of wtf and boom. Box score says we lose by 13. 

3 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

After weeks of griping about how dumb KenPom is for having Purdue in the top 25, all of the sudden the board thinks this Pomeroy guy is actually pretty smart, lol.

Haha....not this guy. I still believe KenPom is MySpace and the other ratings are Insta or TikTok...

31 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

After weeks of griping about how dumb KenPom is for having Purdue in the top 25, all of the sudden the board thinks this Pomeroy guy is actually pretty smart, lol.

I havent said anything about kenpom and i'm not the board. just posted something i saw. Being that everyone talks about kenpom i'm guessing he is smarter than this post.

1 hour ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Are you a glass half full guy? 

Lol. 

I think this outlook applies well to the team that got blown out at MD. But since then the team has played much better, including on the road at Rutgers, a generally well-played game. 

PSU is good this year and is and should be favored at home. I don't see an 18-point blow out coming though. Here's to hoping it's a good game, consistent with the way we've been playing.

In regard to this game, it would be nice to see our recently somewhat improved shooting translate on the road.  Since our season started against FSU, we’ve shot 33.1% from three at Assembly Hall (39/118) and 24.3% from three away from home (26/107).  Gotta get that number above 30% to give ourselves a chance on the road.

11 minutes ago, Indykev said:

I havent said anything about kenpom and i'm not the board. just posted something i saw. Being that everyone talks about kenpom i'm guessing he is smarter than this post.

Wasn’t referring to you specifically, just making a general joke about something that’s been a hot topic around here lately.  No need to take offense.

9 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Lol. 

I think this outlook applies well to the team that got blown out at MD. But since then the team has played much better, including on the road at Rutgers, a generally well-played game. 

PSU is good this year and is and should be favored at home. I don't see an 18-point blow out coming though. Here's to hoping it's a good game, consistent with the way we've been playing.

I am like 95% kidding and 87% thinking it will actually happen.

Go Hoosiers!

4 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

In regard to this game, it would be nice to see our recently somewhat improved shooting translate on the road.  Since our season started against FSU, we’ve shot 33.1% from three at Assembly Hall (39/118) and 24.3% from three away from home (26/107).  Gotta get that number above 30% to give ourselves a chance on the road.

Yes. We did much better last game shooting the three.  I just hope we don't fall in love with that.  Continue to work the ball inside. Get their bigs in foul trouble. And make the free throws this game.  Do that, and we win a close road game, IMHO.

This might be the night we see some floor leadership. Are we gonna roll over and cry in our milk that we lost vs MD, or is someone gonna step up and grab a few jerseys and hold them accountable and to play hard at BOTH ends. Hopefully 2-3 guys will step up to the leadership.

I actually feel good about this game. I think the guys are ticked that they lost MD, at least that's the "read" I'm getting from Arch and others.

Hope to see Race back (doubtful) and would like to see some more Armaan as well.

1 hour ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Sadly, this seems more likely than not.  Still gonna watch and root for my team though.

14 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Lol. 

C’mon now HH... A game where we shot 30% from the field and were down by double digits for basically the entire second half was a “generally well-played game”?  That’s glass overflowing, haha.

They definitely looked better these last two games, but this team has a lot to prove to inspire confidence they can win on the road.  Hopefully tonight is the first step toward that.

8 minutes ago, DWB said:

This might be the night we see some floor leadership. Are we gonna roll over and cry in our milk that we lost vs MD, or is someone gonna step up and grab a few jerseys and hold them accountable and to play hard at BOTH ends. Hopefully 2-3 guys will step up to the leadership.

I actually feel good about this game. I think the guys are ticked that they lost MD, at least that's the "read" I'm getting from Arch and others.

Hope to see Race back (doubtful) and would like to see some more Armaan as well.

What happened to Race?  I missed the Nebraska and Msu games on vacay.

Go Hoosiers!!!

Obviously if Hunter can shoot that's an enormous help, but the other really positive thing to come out of that last game is that Phinisee hit some 2 pt shots. He is very good at creating easy shots for himself (or at least makeable shots), he is not all that good at actually making them. If he gets that part of his game to come together, that will really change this team.

Archived