Coronavirus

Reacher

6 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

I guess I'm not sure what many on here are trying to insinuate. Does anybody think we need to stop wearing masks, open up all bars, and start attending conventions in order to reach herd immunity? Just get a bunch of people sick before a vaccine is available and rip off the band aid? 

Nobody is locked down right now. What policies do you think should be reversed? 

I know you aren't advocating we going out in public and start licking each other's face in order to achieve herd immunity. What's your middle ground? 

I was not insinuating anything.  I was sharing what I thought was positive news amongst all the bad stuff.  Whether we agree or disagree with how Sweden got to where they are today, you have to be encouraged by their numbers the last couple of weeks.  No?

7 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I think it's in reference to the song video killed the radio star but I'm not getting it either. Help us out @Milosh68

That’s what I was picking up. Mom, little girl, Jesus , Covid.... the reference to the song. If @Hoosierhoopster isn’t all over this like a fat kid on a doughnut, and let’s this stand. This is just unacceptable. Hopefully there’s something I’m not seeing. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Ok, that post was questionable, at best. I have it cleaned up. Lets please move on.

Thank you and to be clear, I really hate censorship, but I think that was so far beyond the pale of what you all have created here, that it only took (even me) about 2 seconds to have a WTF moment. Moving on now and thanks again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Couple states have now reversed their bans on HCQ. Why was it banned in the first place? Individual states don't do this for other drugs as far as I know. 

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2020/08/17/mn_governor_quietly_reverses_course_on_hydroxychloroquine__143978.html

"The politics of hydroxychloroquine are unlikely to cool before November’s presidential election.  Yet, if Walz’s decision is any indication, at least some leaders are starting to recognize the ethical dilemma of using the long arm of government to stand between suffering patients and a drug that may have the potential to save them."

Studies show countries with older populations, more obese people, poorer people, and fewer nurses did not fare as well. None of that seems surprising. Smokers seem to be less effected. Lockdowns only effective in keeping hospitals from being overwhelmed.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8553929/Lockdowns-DONT-work-study-claims.html

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Studies show countries with older populations, more obese people, poorer people, and fewer nurses did not fare as well. None of that seems surprising. Smokers seem to be less effected. Lockdowns only effective in keeping hospitals from being overwhelmed.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8553929/Lockdowns-DONT-work-study-claims.html

so... shutting down a football season will do what? 

16 hours ago, Reacher said:

Did you read the article? Do you disagree with anything presented there?

I don't think anybody is trying to insinuate anything.  I try and present information. Some may be useful and some might prove wrong over time. The article mentions people in Sweden wearing masks and social distancing. 

While people may not be locked down, many schools, churches, and businesses are. Why not open the schools since young kids appear fairly resistant and it has not posed a problem in other countries? Let the young, healthy, active people spread it as they are not the prime age to burden the hospitals. Protect the elderly and those with health issues. To me that is common sense and the opposite of what was done in NY where they locked down the healthy and introduced the virus to the elderly. Personally, I also thinks sports can and should resume. They are playing now and, yes, there have been issues, but there are ways to minimize the risks- which appears small for that population.

I disagree with this cluster of sentences:

Cases are very low. For all practical purposes, the covid-19 epidemic is over in Sweden. (really? that's a bold claim) Almost certainly herd immunity has been achieved in Sweden irrespective (definition: not taking into account) of any antibody test results (translation: let's just ignore that minor inconvenience). Testing is usually only for IgG antibody and the herd can become immune via IgA antibody or cellular mechanisms that are not detected by the usual testing (Yet, no definitive IgA data is available). Whether covid-19 will reappear this next fall or winter remains to be seen. (Translation: I could be completely wrong if a second wave hits)

That's a lot of assumptions. 

He's also finding specific data that fits his conclusion. And most blatant is he's comparing Sweden, a non-dense country (57.5 people per square mile) with a huge amount of single person households to NYC, one of the biggest and most dense cities (27,000 people per square mile) in the world! Why doesn't he compare Sweden to a state with a more similar population per square mile that locked down, like Iowa???? Why is he comparing an apple to an elephant to make his point? 

The data suggest that lockdowns have not prevented any deaths from covid-19. 

Maybe I have comprehension issues, but I don't see how the data suggest that at all. Is he living in reality? The whole reason NYC spiked is because they were blindsided by the virus while people were still freely moving around.....it snuck up on them before they had ANY policies in place and before they knew how to deal with it. Think back to Early April and what NYC did not know. Did Masks work, and if they did could they even find them? How long did the virus live on surfaces? Was it more risky to be outside or inside. How was this treated? How to keep the elderly safe?  What demographics were the most susceptible? With so little known about a new airborne virus, what other choice did NYC have other than to lockdown in that particular moment? The author is going to use the data from that panicked environment, in an insanely dense area, compare it to Sweden, and come up with that conclusion?! That is so skewed.

Sorry, I just tire of random articles on the internet claiming to have the answer based on cherry picked data.