Coronavirus

Reacher

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I've had the opposite experience...The USAF MADE you get a flu shot every year, and I was never sick the whole 20 years I was in (only relegated to quarters once...a week for a bad back)...First year I got out, didn't get one, and got sick like I'd never been sick before...Started taking them every year and haven't been sick (knocking on wood) since...

Might just be coincidence, but who knows...

When I was young. My mother took me to the doctor's office annually for a flu shot.  And I always got the flu. In the Army.... they lined us up.  Shots in the arm. With nothing said about what the shots contained.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tdhoosier said:

That's annoying because the same point could've been made without the journalist being a little fast and loose with her words in that sentence. The point being: that COVID can be a fatal virus to people in that demographic and the most-likely cause of death in areas that experience spikes. 

But that's all it takes...one or two added or omitted words...You guys get upset with @Reacher, but I think he just wants to put information out here, and figures most of us are smart enough to make our own decisions based on what we read...

I appreciate the information wherever it comes from...Some info I doubt, and some I embrace...

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

When I was young. My mother took me to the doctor's office annually for a flu shot.  And I always got the flu. In the Army.... they lined us up.  Shots in the arm. With nothing said about what the shots contained.

That is kinda creepy about the shots without telling you what they were. That would freak me out a little.

2 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

That is kinda creepy about the shots without telling you what they were. That would freak me out a little.

They did the same to us...shot them out of this little gun-like thing...our first dorm chief in basic training passed out when he got his and was removed from that position...

Just now, IUFLA said:

They did the same to us...shot them out of this little gun-like thing...our first dorm chief in basic training passed out when he got his and was removed from that position...

When I was in high school we received an updated Measles booster where some nurses came into the gym and gave us the shots with the air gun thing. It was a little strange, but at least we knew what it was and parents had to sign permission slip for us to receive it (this was in the 90s). I just can't imagine getting injection without being told what it was. I think my dad told some similar stories from when he was drafted in army...

• Like 1

I just don't think comparing the COVID vaccine to the flu vaccine is a healthy exercise. First COVID is causing a pandemic, is much more infectious and way more deadly and dangerous than the seasonal flu. Secondly, the flu shots efficacy ranges from 40% - 60%, which in most years is a coin flip. The COVID vaccines are 90% - 95% effective. 

Nobody likes the situation we are in, but I hope everybody realizes that the vaccine is our tool to herd immunity. We aren't necessarily taking it for ourselves; we are also taking it for everybody else. The more people who take it....the quicker we get back to normal.  If you have reservations about its safety or a religious reason for not taking it then that certainly is your right and I won't criticize that. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tdhoosier said:

I just don't think comparing the COVID vaccine to the flu vaccine is a healthy exercise. First COVID is causing a pandemic, is much more infectious and way more deadly and dangerous than the seasonal flu. Secondly, the flu shots efficacy ranges from 40% - 60%, which in most years is a coin flip. The COVID vaccines are 90% - 95% effective. 

Nobody likes the situation we are in, but I hope everybody realizes that the vaccine is our tool to herd immunity. We aren't necessarily taking it for ourselves; we are also taking it for everybody else. The more people who take it....the quicker we get back to normal.  If you have reservations about its safety or a religious reason for not taking it then that certainly is your right and I won't criticize that. 

Sorry brother, normal is a long way off for us, if we ever see it again. 

It's a no-brainer for me, in my situation. I'm almost 68 years old, and still employed full time, and run a side business. I have grown kids and grandchildren. I can't just isolate myself away in my basement for the rest of my life. I'll be getting the vaccine as soon as it is available for me. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

But that's all it takes...one or two added or omitted words...You guys get upset with @Reacher, but I think he just wants to put information out here, and figures most of us are smart enough to make our own decisions based on what we read...

I appreciate the information wherever it comes from...Some info I doubt, and some I embrace...

Sorry, @IUFLA but that is a false equivalency. That link was from USA Today, not some strange fringe website nobody has ever heard of before like lifelibertyandthepursuitofhappiness.com or pasted from what seemed to be a facebook comment. This is not sharing an obviously doctored graph that lies about death numbers. (A graph shared twice in this thread, no less) 

Secondly, I acknowledged the error you pointed out rather than digging my heals in. However, the point, while exaggerated, still doesn't dispute the overall claim that young people can get COVID and die from it. Is that making an excuse for USA Today? Absolutely not. And that's why I found that journalistic irresponsibility especially annoying because if the quote was taken verbatim from the study, the point would still stand on its own merit and and we wouldn't be here arguing about tiddlywinks. 

43 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

Paranoia will take a long time to get past.  Then we get to see what the long term issues are going to be, economy, mental, starvation... people in 1918 were quite a bit tougher than this world is today

Just because I'm trying to remain overly optimistic for you today: the Roaring 20s did follow that pandemic and war. 

I think economically we will be fine. Goods are still doing well, it's the services that are suffering. And many of us are eager to get back to those services that have been wrecked: travel, restaurants, sporting/music events, etc. I'm not sure it will be a U shaped curve, but possibly one in the shape of a smashed V. Fingers crossed. Time will tell. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hoosier_exotics said:

Fauci says you can still possibly pass on covid even after the vaccine... I don't know anyone in my family that's going to take it

Correct.  You can pass it on to people who don't get vaccinated.  Those that are vaccinated would not get it however.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Correct.  You can pass it on to people who don't get vaccinated.  Those that are vaccinated would not get it however.  

There are a ton of different strain to covid... is this vaccine going to cover them all, or is it going to be like the flu shot?  My uneducated guess is it will cover what was in the vaccine, and your sol on the other strains

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I recall in boot camp getting all of the shots pretty much at once and on both sides. It was an assembly line with no heads up about what shot was what. 

That said, I’ll get a COVID vaccine when it’s offered to me. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hoosier_exotics said:

There are a ton of different strain to covid... is this vaccine going to cover them all, or is it going to be like the flu shot?  My uneducated guess is it will cover what was in the vaccine, and your sol on the other strains

Even if it is not a 100% match on the strain, it should minimize the impacts of whatever strain you may have.  It's not an all or nothing type of thing.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

Sorry, @IUFLA but that is a false equivalency. That link was from USA Today, not some strange fringe website nobody has ever heard of before like lifelibertyandthepursuitofhappiness.com or pasted from what seemed to be a facebook comment. This is not sharing an obviously doctored graph that lies about death numbers. (A graph shared twice in this thread, no less) 

Secondly, I acknowledged the error you pointed out rather than digging my heals in. However, the point, while exaggerated, still doesn't dispute the overall claim that young people can get COVID and die from it. Is that making an excuse for USA Today? Absolutely not. And that's why I found that journalistic irresponsibility especially annoying because if the quote was taken verbatim from the study, the point would still stand on its own merit and and we wouldn't be here arguing about tiddlywinks. 

I understand what you're saying but twice now you've posted articles where the source made a statement that, if anyone read the source document, wasn't exactly what the source document stated. Now, you might think that's simply "lazy journalism." I think it's agenda driven. Saying "COVID 19 has surpassed opioid overdoses as the leading cause of death for 25-44 year olds" is a helluva far cry from " likely" and "only in certain areas of the US." 

To me, it's an author driven by an agenda and counting on the fact that the vast majority of people aren't going to read the source paper.

I've discounted many things I've heard or read from "reputable" news sources...CNN, Fox, MSNBC, and, yes, USA Today. It's ceased to be real, no crap journalism. It's agenda driven BS to sway people one way or the other. 

BS is BS to me...no matter whether it's wrapped in a nice package like USA Today or a "fringe" website.

I was an aircraft incident investigator for a couple of years. That'll make you question almost everything you read. If it isn't a substantiated beyond any doubt, I question it.

Look, I know it's a serious thing. I know going out like I do could expose me to harm. Everybody understands that by now. I don't need to be scared into complicity... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Look, I know it's a serious thing. I know going out like I do could expose me to harm. Everybody understands that by now. I don't need to be scared into complicity... 

But a large number of people continue to gather and not even wear masks. It’s irresponsible and just plain stupid. I’m not advocating any “source” mince facts, but the reporting of the clear growth in hospitalizations, cases, and deaths is not being exaggerated, and repeated attempts by some to claim otherwise is what is BS political crap that needs to go away. Everyone should recognize by now how the Virus is continuing to spread at a high level, is continuing to kill lots of people, and should not be attempted to be minimized. I’m so disgusted with the sheer stupidity of that entire “approach” to a national health crisis. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

But a large number of people continue to gather and not even wear masks.

I understand that...I just don't know what you want me, personally, to do about it. I comply with most orders because I think it's the right to do, not because some media person tells me to...

Edited by IUFLA

2 hours ago, hoosier_exotics said:

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Even if it is not a 100% match on the strain, it should minimize the impacts of whatever strain you may have.  It's not an all or nothing type of thing.  

You're both correct, at least as far as we know. The issue is the speed at which the virus can mutate. The further away from the strains the vaccine covers, the lower the positive impact. 

That's the grey area at the moment that at least in terms of public knowledge, nobody has a truly solid feel for yet.