North Ala Post Game

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, tdhoosier said:

Wonder if it was a deliberate plan by CAM to let them shoot in the second half. Even before they started falling they were taking more outside shots then we are accustomed to seeing. If so, I think that was a good plan; this team needed that second half. 

Absolutely— encouraging. I’ve been concerned CAM’s been holding back our outside shooting. Good to see a bit of green light 

3 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Wonder if it was a deliberate plan by CAM to let them shoot in the second half. Even before they started falling they were taking more outside shots then we are accustomed to seeing. If so, I think that was a good plan; this team needed that second half. 

Absolutely....and a perfect type of game to do so. 

4 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

But they were in the context of good ball movement against the zone. Not many quick jacks

58% from the FT line.  They shot 45% against TN Tech but at least 69% in all the other games. This seems to indicate that they have a hard time getting mentally into games against bad competition. Or it's something about Assembly Hall.

They appeared more in the game in the second half but they were also shooting a ton of 3s so not going to the line much. 

14 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Exactly what I was thinking... confidence builder...

16 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Not to be Debbie downer, but watching the start of Mich-PSU and the leap in defensive intensity, athleticism, size and length compared to North Alabama is significant. 

Sure it is...but another builder game against Butler, and a don't-overlook-them game against Northwestern, then the Big Boy games start vs The Whinin Illini...

18 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Not to be Debbie downer, but watching the start of Mich-PSU and the leap in defensive intensity, athleticism, size and length compared to North Alabama is significant. 

Unless my tv isn't working...Florida St and Texas much better. Honestly some of the athletes Stanford had were much better than Penn St. Will be fun to see how some of these wins/losses play themselves out over a season. 

What to say about this game?

Bad:  if this was a good team IU would have been blown out in the first half.  Too many TO’s, terrible shooting and FT shooting, etc.  

Good:  better second half but still too many foolish TO’s, 3 point shooting better, esp Franklin, who is turning into a player.

Overall, concentration still lacking, be prepared to face zone defenses all year, and Lander is not as ready as advertised.  That all said, team defense is excellent and will keep us in most games.

The offense looks better when shots go in.  Been saying that Archie's offense is not bad because it gets you a lot of open shots.  Everyone thought just because shots don't go in it had to be a bad offensive scheme but every offense looks better when shots go in.  Shooting is all about confidence and being ready to shoot when you catch the ball and it appeared today we saw both of those things.

1 minute ago, IUguy said:

What to say about this game?

Bad:  if this was a good team IU would have been blown out in the first half.  Too many TO’s, terrible shooting and FT shooting, etc.  

Good:  better second half but still too many foolish TO’s, 3 point shooting better, esp Franklin, who is turning into a player.

Overall, concentration still lacking, be prepared to face zone defenses all year, and Lander is not as ready as advertised.  That all said, team defense is excellent and will keep us in most games.

Yesterday I predicted the first half we would come out sloppy because it was a noon game on a Sunday.  Also I thought this because we came off of 4 straight hard fought games and now we were playing a low major team.  We saw that yesterday with UNC playing UNC Central but UNC never were able to blow out their opponent.  Also today MSU was only up 4 at half against Oakland who was 0-6 and lost 3 games by over 40 points.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Yesterday I predicted the first half we would come out sloppy because it was a noon game on a Sunday.  Also I thought this because we came off of 4 straight hard fought games and now we were playing a low major team.  We saw that yesterday with UNC playing UNC Central but UNC never were able to blow out their opponent.  Also today MSU was only up 4 at half against Oakland who was 0-6 and lost 3 games by over 40 points.

Always hard to get up against a poor team that everyone expects you to trounce. 

I think this team will gel nicely if we get to play most or all of the season. It's just so difficult to gauge how ANY team will react to the weirdness of playing in empty arenas and the general stress of the situation everyone is in. Good teams are going to flounder, and mediocre teams might thrive. It's just a very, very weird year. That said, nice to see some shooting and hustle on D. I loved that Geronimo inbounds steal and buzzer-beater. Kid is going to be a good one, methinks. 

12 minutes ago, DWB said:

If Lander can slow it down a hair I think the 4 Frosh can play well together.

My MVP was Armaan, even before team high in points.

Disappointed in Al & Rob today. Hopefully, it's an anomaly.

I thought Armaan had a rough first half, along with Al and Rob...

As I said in the game thread, Galloway gets in there, and through his hustle and making the correct basketball play, which I'm sure is pointed out to them, made at least Armaan, and to a point, Rob play better in the 2nd...

Poor Jerome started ok, but rimmed out (his shot I'd so flat!) about 4, and had an air ball...his defense was atrocious at times...but I was glad to see him scrap on that rebound putback...

I think Leal and Galloway realize that Archie evaluates every possession...and I think Leal earned himself more minutes with a game like today. 

Lander is the one that I think needs to rein it in a little. Archie wants him to make the correct basketball play, and I'm not sure he knows exactly what that is yet. He's so talented...but he's got to learn his role and perform in it...lead this team... facilitate...move the ball...scoring will come, but right now, he's forcing it...

Archived