North Ala Post Game

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i mean, it is good to see us dominate a team we should dominate.  the thing we learned from this game is that we can shoot against terrible teams and terrible defense.  that's encouraging in a sense.  better than not being able to do that for sure!  let's hope we can keep improving and be able to shoot decent against good teams.  

1 minute ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i mean, it is good to see us dominate a team we should dominate.  the thing we learned from this game is that we can shoot against terrible teams and terrible defense.  that's encouraging in a sense.  better than not being able to do that for sure!  let's hope we can keep improving and be able to shoot decent against good teams.  

It is about getting confidence seeing those shots go in and that they actually shot those open shots.  We have had a lot of open looks against these top teams but missed them or they just did not shoot them.

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Yesterday I predicted the first half we would come out sloppy because it was a noon game on a Sunday.  Also I thought this because we came off of 4 straight hard fought games and now we were playing a low major team.  We saw that yesterday with UNC playing UNC Central but UNC never were able to blow out their opponent.  Also today MSU was only up 4 at half against Oakland who was 0-6 and lost 3 games by over 40 points.

We had individual players that were sloppy (all 3 guards) but I didn't think we were sloppy as a team, if that makes any sense...

We forced the ball inside, got the lead by getting them to foul us, and played lockdown defense...

My opinion, North Alabama was never in the game. The got it under double digits once, but then we went on a big run to end the half.

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

For us to compete in the big ten we will have to get more consistent play from Race, Al and RP

You can throw first half Armaan in there too...we need the 2nd half Armaan all the time...

And I think Archie has to seriously think about getting Al out of the starting lineup...

I thought IU looked terrible. But i do think weak competition makes you look bad. IU plays out of control WAY TO MUCH! A senior, Durham should have learned long ago. Archie can and must STOP this sloppy play. Much of the mistakes he can control. On the positive side, he knows how to coach defense.

9 minutes ago, Let said:

I thought IU looked terrible. But i do think weak competition makes you look bad. IU plays out of control WAY TO MUCH! A senior, Durham should have learned long ago. Archie can and must STOP this sloppy play. Much of the mistakes he can control. On the positive side, he knows how to coach defense.

They looked terrible for part of the first half but they were far from terrible for the game.

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

It is amazing how much better we shoot when not playing a top 15 defense. Lots of things to still work on, but I continue to feel good about the progress we are making as a program. 

Good point

Texas is #3 and FSU is #14 in defense. Wisconsin and Rutgers are  the only top 25 defenses in the B1G (besides IU).

1 minute ago, southsidehoosier said:

Good point

Texas is #3 and FSU is #14 in defense. Wisconsin and Rutgers are  the only top 25 defenses in the B1G (besides IU).

Stanford is Top 15 as well. 

I don't think people realize we've likely played two top 10 teams at this juncture between FSU and Texas. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Unless my tv isn't working...Florida St and Texas much better. Honestly some of the athletes Stanford had were much better than Penn St. Will be fun to see how some of these wins/losses play themselves out over a season. 

That's not really how I meant it. My post was more in reference to our hot 3pt shooting, not the teams overall performance. 

We had a lot of in-rhythm, open 3pt shots today against a soft zone. Today was great for confidence, no doubt. 

But IU is going to have to hit those shots against a real defense. 

44 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Stanford is Top 15 as well. 

I don't think people realize we've likely played two top 10 teams at this juncture between FSU and Texas. 

we agree for once on that, but it's hard to say that they are any better than Iowa, Mich St., Illinois, and Wisconsin.  unfortunately we still have 7 games against those guys, at Rutgers, at OSU, and at Purdue.  FSU and TX were not bad losses though.  Providence and Stanford were pretty good wins.  

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Lander is the one that I think needs to rein it in a little. Archie wants him to make the correct basketball play, and I'm not sure he knows exactly what that is yet. He's so talented...but he's got to learn his role and perform in it...lead this team... facilitate...move the ball...scoring will come, but right now, he's forcing it...

This sounds an aweful lot like what was said about Green.  Let's hope CAM can get Lander to understand and perform the things Green struggled with.

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I like our ball movement a lot better this year.  That goes with a very tough defense. So there is some identity developing.  

Besides the defense, this is the thing I’m happiest about this year. Much better ball movement. Was finally able to watch the game, and while it wasn’t pretty always, the ball movement was crisp. Was happy to see those threes falling in second half too. 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

That's not really how I meant it. My post was more in reference to our hot 3pt shooting, not the teams overall performance. 

We had a lot of in-rhythm, open 3pt shots today against a soft zone. Today was great for confidence, no doubt. 

But IU is going to have to hit those shots against a real defense. 

Got it! Sorry about that. I was a tad confused.

5 hours ago, 3Ballin said:

This sounds an aweful lot like what was said about Green.  Let's hope CAM can get Lander to understand and perform the things Green struggled with.

Except Green was a senior in college and Lander should be a senior in high school. I expect things will slow down as he gets more adjusted to the speed of the game.

Regardless of the opponent it was good to see some threes drop against the zone. Hopefully that can go along way towards giving everybody some confidence behind the arc. Seems pretty clear Arman Franklin is the most improved player, and I don’t think it’s particularly close.

Still early, but Kenpom gets more accurate as the season goes.

Has us as 15 overall with the 37th ranked offense and 11th ranked defense. 4th in the big ten.

Archived