Best thing that's happened to you in 2020

NotIThatLives

In honor of @milehiiu and his relentless positive outlook on life, what's the best thing that has happened to you in 2020?

I will start.  Can't say 2020 has been navigated like many.  The most important and happiest moments are being home with my little dude 2 out of every 3 days as my wife is allowed to create her own schedule opposite of mine.  So he just brought me over a Veggie tales book on being thankful that I read him.  

The next thing is selling the house I built 2 years ago only to start over on a massive gut job.  The timing of the remodel overlapped with schools shutting down and my wife being home for basically 5 months straight.  We moved in the day before the new school year started.  

At the firehouse, I made a career move, so to speak.  Moving from a single engine company, closer to downtown to a tactical house.  Being forced to learn more disciplines and being exposed to some high pressure situations.  

Spiritually I've probably been down more than I've been up.  I look forward to a New Year but know that His mercies are new every morning.

Like many of you, 2020 will be a year I won't forget.  I wish you all the best as your kids take a break from school for the next few weeks.  I consider today the last business day before the holidays really take off( I know many of us will still work next week).  Try not to get caught up in the rush.  Enjoy the family.  Play with the kids.  Call your older aunts and uncles.  Love one another as He has loved us.  God bless.  

Thanks for starting this @NotIThatLives, the more good news here the better!

My wife started working again after being laid off by Chevron in 2015. 

My daughter achieved straight A's and won several academic awards at Phillips Exeter, and HOPEFULLY will have good news tonight, when she finds out Duke's admission decision. Yes, Duke ....

After going through the difficult times of deciding whether we had to let employees go due to business downturn from Covid, and getting a PPP loan, we ended up having a strong year and have just approved raises and bonuses to everyone, no terminations due to Covid and everyone here gainfully employed.

Most importantly for my family, everyone is healthy, everyone is doing OK.

I may come across as an arrogant jackass here at times (I know I do lol), but I'd like all of you to know that I (and all the mods) really enjoy talking and debating with all of you guys, this place that CC built and Mile helped grow with his positivity and relentless dedication is a special place, and we appreciate all of you. Best wishes to all of you and your families.

Great idea for a thread, especially in light of us losing @milehiiu and @Colonialcrester this year. 

I was born in 1968 and have always kind of thought that it was one of the most tumultuous years in our recent history, but 2020 is just the worst. 

My wife and I have been extremely fortunate this year - we both still have our jobs, we are able to work from home, and we have our health. Getting to spend the extra time home with our pets has been a real gift. 

At the risk of releasing a barrel full of HAHAs, I will say that one bright spot this year has been my wife getting a breast reduction in October. When she first told me, she wanted one I was like “Whut? This I do not like or understand.” But we talked it over and I didn’t realize just how self-conscious she was about her rather large chest. She’s thin and they were ahem, very large. So large that she always felt awkward wearing certain things and could never run in just a sports bra like most women’s her age. 

The doctor told her they had a “lot to work with” and he created an incredible rack that I’m pretty jazzed about. And now, my wife is a LOT less self-conscious, which has proven to benefit me. Her happiness level has increased so much, and I think that’s probably the most important thing for me. And also...

15 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Great idea for a thread, especially in light of us losing @milehiiu and @Colonialcrester this year. 

I was born in 1968 and have always kind of thought that it was one of the most tumultuous years in our recent history, but 2020 is just the worst. 

My wife and I have been extremely fortunate this year - we both still have our jobs, we are able to work from home, and we have our health. Getting to spend the extra time home with our pets has been a real gift. 

At the risk of releasing a barrel full of HAHAs, I will say that one bright spot this year has been my wife getting a breast reduction in October. When she first told me, she wanted one I was like “Whut? This I do not like or understand.” But we talked it over and I didn’t realize just how self-conscious she was about her rather large chest. She’s thin and they were ahem, very large. So large that she always felt awkward wearing certain things and could never run in just a sports bra like most women’s her age. 

The doctor told her they had a “lot to work with” and he created an incredible rack that I’m pretty jazzed about. And now, my wife is a LOT less self-conscious, which has proven to benefit me. Her happiness level has increased so much, and I think that’s probably the most important thing for me. And also...

HAHA

😁

3 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

I love it.  Thanks for sharing.  You have become my most unexpected new favorite poster.  I really appreciate everything you bring to this board.  

My wife and I have both been working from home since March.  For the first few months, it felt like too much 'together' time.  But, as time went on, I think the extra time together has strengthened our relationship.  The past 2-3 months, it feels like we're closer than we have been in several years.  

31 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

My wife and I have both been working from home since March.  For the first few months, it felt like too much 'together' time.  But, as time went on, I think the extra time together has strengthened our relationship.  The past 2-3 months, it feels like we're closer than we have been in several years.  

I'm jobless at the moment, and my wife is self employed and makes her own schedule so we have been spending alot of time together.

I have a phone interview and a zoom interview next week with 2 companies. One for a fri-sun 12 hr day shift job at a pharmaceutical company.  She's upset about it. I've tried to tell her she can schedule however she wants. Man it would be awesome to only work 3 days a week. 

15 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I'm jobless at the moment, and my wife is self employed and makes her own schedule so we have been spending alot of time together.

I have a phone interview and a zoom interview next week with 2 companies. One for a fri-sun 12 hr day shift job at a pharmaceutical company.  She's upset about it. I've tried to tell her she can schedule however she wants. Man it would be awesome to only work 3 days a week. 

Best of luck with the job interviews.  I dated a nurse many years ago.  She worked a 3 on, 4 off, then 4 on, 3 off two week schedule.   Even though I worked the standard 8-5 Mon through Fri, I felt hr schedule allowed us to spend more time together.  It just meant date night might be a Tuesday instead of a Saturday.   

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Best of luck with the job interviews.  I dated a nurse many years ago.  She worked a 3 on, 4 off, then 4 on, 3 off two week schedule.   Even though I worked the standard 8-5 Mon through Fri, I felt hr schedule allowed us to spend more time together.  It just meant date night might be a Tuesday instead of a Saturday.   

That's what I've been trying to tell her. I was already working every Friday and sunday and alot of Saturdays too. 

So I told her is I get this job I work Fri-Sun and she schedules wed-sat and we get ever Monday and Tuesday off. Seems good to me. 

She just has a hard time with change. As do I but man if can get this job its will be a blessing.  Working day shift 3 days a week.  Awesome.

I achieved my private pilot license Earlier in the year. It was actually pretty cool to tackle a new, never thought about before, challenge at 52 and "land it"! Then just yesterday, became totally 100% debt free. All toys, homes, vehicles, plane, mistakes and ex-wives are paid for! I am thankful that I was able to indulge a little extra yesterday, earlier than normal and somehow, don't have any Social media "mistakes" to fix today ! lol        

11 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

I love it.  Thanks for sharing.  You have become my most unexpected new favorite poster.  I really appreciate everything you bring to this board.  

What a kind thing to say, thank you. I’m sure I will screw it and disappoint you with a future post though! 😄

9 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

That's what I've been trying to tell her. I was already working every Friday and sunday and alot of Saturdays too. 

So I told her is I get this job I work Fri-Sun and she schedules wed-sat and we get ever Monday and Tuesday off. Seems good to me. 

She just has a hard time with change. As do I but man if can get this job its will be a blessing.  Working day shift 3 days a week.  Awesome.

Good luck man, that would be a sweet schedule. 

Archived