AD Scott Dolson - What's the plan?

35 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Steve didn't have the personality for LA and there were boosters their that never bought into him as the coach and that's why they had the money to get rid of him when they did. 

I am not trying to put the cart before the horse, but I can't help to think that Steve could really do something at Indiana. I have never been on the Alford to Indiana bandwagon, but it does sound a bit intriguing.  

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You Alford lovers out there also have to consider these folks to be fair...

Sydney Johnson was an excellent player during his career at Princeton University and played a major role in the Tigers’ upset of UCLA in the opening round of the 1996 NCAA tournament.

He was a gifted three-point shooter and one of the best defensive players in the country.

His strong play during his senior season earned him the recognition of being named the 1997 Ivy League Player of the Year.

Following his time at Princeton, Johnson continued his playing career with a short stint overseas. Now he’s having success as the head coach at Fairfield University.

And maybe since you think great shooters make great coaches....

Johnny Dawkins is often mentioned as the first big-time recruit who helped lay the foundation for what Mike Krzyzewski wanted to build at Duke University.

Dawkins played at Duke from 1983-1986 and is one of the best players in the history of the program. He was the school’s all-time scoring leader with 2,556 points until J.J. Redick eventually broke the record. However, Redick benefited from playing with a three-point line, a luxury the sweet-shooting Dawkins didn’t have.

He was a two-time first-team All-ACC performer as well as Duke’s first two-time first-team All-American.

Dawkins had a 13-year career in the NBA before returning to Duke to serve as an assistant under Mike Krzyzewski. Now, he’s the head coach of the Stanford Cardinal.

Since Alford attending IU clearly has nothing to do with your infatuation for him I’m sure you would also consider the abilities of these two coaches with the same level of interest.

21 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

Here's a question for the board.  Say we miss the dance this season.  Trayce comes back not because he wants to but because he has no choice.  We finish year 5 say 3-4 in the B1G and lose in the Sweet 16. Years 6 and 7 look pretty poor on paper due to poor recruiting.   If you're Dolson what do you do?  

I honestly think that's a likely scenario and why many want a change this season as Archie could pull a Crean and do "just enough" next season. 

Duck the issue and secure your legacy by investing B1G Network money in Athletic Department infrastructure.  Oh, wait... 😎

7 minutes ago, Inequality said:

You Alford lovers out there also have to consider these folks to be fair...

Sydney Johnson was an excellent player during his career at Princeton University and played a major role in the Tigers’ upset of UCLA in the opening round of the 1996 NCAA tournament.

He was a gifted three-point shooter and one of the best defensive players in the country.

His strong play during his senior season earned him the recognition of being named the 1997 Ivy League Player of the Year.

Following his time at Princeton, Johnson continued his playing career with a short stint overseas. Now he’s having success as the head coach at Fairfield University.

And maybe since you think great shooters make great coaches....

Johnny Dawkins is often mentioned as the first big-time recruit who helped lay the foundation for what Mike Krzyzewski wanted to build at Duke University.

Dawkins played at Duke from 1983-1986 and is one of the best players in the history of the program. He was the school’s all-time scoring leader with 2,556 points until J.J. Redick eventually broke the record. However, Redick benefited from playing with a three-point line, a luxury the sweet-shooting Dawkins didn’t have.

He was a two-time first-team All-ACC performer as well as Duke’s first two-time first-team All-American.

Dawkins had a 13-year career in the NBA before returning to Duke to serve as an assistant under Mike Krzyzewski. Now, he’s the head coach of the Stanford Cardinal.

Since Alford attending IU clearly has nothing to do with your infatuation for him I’m sure you would also consider the abilities of these two coaches with the same level of interest.

I never was one who thought it had to be an IU guy but I am starting to think we should go that route.  We have tried about everything else when hiring a coach and it has not worked.  We hired a up and coming mid major coach and have hired guys from lower tier power conference programs.  I am not saying it has to be Alford but I would look at Keith Smart

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I never was one who thought it had to be an IU guy but I am starting to think we should go that route.  We have tried about everything else when hiring a coach and it has not worked.  We hired a up and coming mid major coach and have hired guys from lower tier power conference programs.  I am not saying it has to be Alford but I would look at Keith Smart

There has already been too many gambles. Wasted time. Wasted money. Wasted talent. Etc.

Right now it’s stick with what you have unless you can reel in a big one.

You want to have an Alford reunion then go for it. But, he’s not coming here and bringing 1987 with him.

2 minutes ago, Inequality said:

There has already been too many gambles. Wasted time. Wasted money. Wasted talent. Etc.

Right now it’s stick with what you have unless you can reel in a big one.

You want to have an Alford reunion then go for it. But, he’s not coming here and bringing 1987 with him.

I just think some just have this fantasy that we can just go out and get whoever we want.  People say open the check book and they will knocking your door down.  To me whoever we get will be a gamble unless we can get Matt's or Bielien.  Maybe Beard but I don't think he will come

5 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Even if you don't have a home run hire lined up only a complete fool would stick with a guy who clearly isn't fit for the job.  I guess UCLA should have kept Alford.  OSU should've kept Matta.  We should've kept Bill Lynch, CAM, and Kevin Wilson.  You could go on forever.

Do you rather keep hiring and firing coaches every 4 years until you find the right one.  To me that is a recipe for disaster because the more you do that then candidate field will get weaker and weaker.

16 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Even if you don't have a home run hire lined up only a complete fool would stick with a guy who clearly isn't fit for the job.  I guess UCLA should have kept Alford.  OSU should've kept Matta.  We should've kept Bill Lynch, CAM, and Kevin Wilson.  You could go on forever.

So another gamble then got it

1 minute ago, Inequality said:

Due process must occur. Which is why you stick with what you have until you find better. 
You don’t throw your shoes away and go barefoot until you find a new pair do you?

So you're saying we'd fire Archie and then have no coach for a couple years?   You're not making sense.  

Just now, dbmhoosier said:

So you're saying we'd fire Archie and then have no coach for a couple years?   You're not making sense.  

What a plot twist. I was sure that’s what you were saying. Only an attorney can twist words like that. Although, I’ve met some crazy women that could as well

It has been 45 years since John Wooden left UCLA and they have had 11 coaches.  It seems like they are never satisfied and if they don't win big they change coaches.  In those 45 years it has produced 5 final fours and one championship yet not good enough.  They had a very good coach in Gene Bartow right after Wooden but left after two years because of the fan base.  The one coach who won the championship Gene Harrick left the program on probation.  If you look at the coaches who they hired it is not some great elite coaches who they hired.  Larry brown was the best one but he doesn't stay in one place long enough to get settled.  The had Ben Howland who went to 3 straight final fours yet not good enough.

Gene Bartow 1975–1977 52 9 .852
Gary Cunningham 1977–1979 50 8 .862
Larry Brown* 1979–1981 42 17 .712
Larry Farmer 1981–1984 61 23 .726
Walt Hazzard 1984–1988 77 47 .621
Jim Harrick 1988–1996 192 62 .756
Steve Lavin 1996–2003 145 78 .650
Ben Howland 2003–2013 233 107 .685 [6]
Steve Alford 2013–2018 124 63 .663 [7]
Murry Bartow (interim) 2018–2019 10 10 .500  
Mick Cronin 2019– 19 12 .613  

Notes

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It has been 45 years since John Wooden left UCLA and they have had 11 coaches.  It seems like they are never satisfied and if they don't win big they change coaches.  In those 45 years it has produced 5 final fours and one championship yet not good enough.  They had a very good coach in Gene Bartow right after Wooden but left after two years because of the fan base.  The one coach who won the championship Gene Harrick left the program on probation.  If you look at the coaches who they hired it is not some great elite coaches who they hired.  Larry brown was the best one but he doesn't stay in one place long enough to get settled.  The had Ben Howland who went to 3 straight final fours yet not good enough.

Gene Bartow 1975–1977 52 9 .852
Gary Cunningham 1977–1979 50 8 .862
Larry Brown* 1979–1981 42 17 .712
Larry Farmer 1981–1984 61 23 .726
Walt Hazzard 1984–1988 77 47 .621
Jim Harrick 1988–1996 192 62 .756
Steve Lavin 1996–2003 145 78 .650
Ben Howland 2003–2013 233 107 .685 [6]
Steve Alford 2013–2018 124 63 .663 [7]
Murry Bartow (interim) 2018–2019 10 10 .500  
Mick Cronin 2019– 19 12 .613  

Notes

Duke and UNC will be there soon

1 minute ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Duke and UNC will be there soon

Agree, Duke will more than likely hire one of their former players who is coaching right now.  UNC was lucky last time when they was able to hire a former alumni who was an elite coach.  Next time there is not that former alumni who would jump at the chance to coach at UNC.  The best coach who played at UNC is Les Miller coaching at UNC Greensboro.  Both will find that most elite coaches won't leave their current school to replace legends.

40 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Do you rather keep hiring and firing coaches every 4 years until you find the right one.  To me that is a recipe for disaster because the more you do that then candidate field will get weaker and weaker.

+1

If we keep firing coaches before they have had time to build the program, we will wind up with a Catch 22 situation.

Any coach who would want to be here would be a coach that we would not want: nobody in their right mind would want to take over a program where the logic is "we should fire this coach now because he might take us to the sweet 16 next year..."

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Agree, Duke will more than likely hire one of their former players who is coaching right now.  UNC was lucky last time when they was able to hire a former alumni who was an elite coach.  Next time there is not that former alumni who would jump at the chance to coach at UNC.  The best coach who played at UNC is Les Miller coaching at UNC Greensboro.  Both will find that most elite coaches won't leave their current school to replace legends.

If K leaves in less than 5 years I still think it's White 5 to 10 I say Collins more than 10 my dark horse Mike Schrage.  I would love to have Mike as an IU asst.

5 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

If K leaves in less than 5 years I still think it's White 5 to 10 I say Collins more than 10 my dark horse Mike Schrage.  I would love to have Mike as an IU asst.

If you look at Mike White last few years it has not been great.  I know his dad was the AD at Duke but I don't think he is still there.

Archived