At This Point, Whats Is Your Preference?

Coaches  

65 members have voted

1. 1. What is your choice?

• Steve Alford
    • Nate Oats
    • Gregg Marshall
    • Keith Smart
    • John Beilein
    • If we can't get Stevens, Donovan, Beard, Matta, Drew, or Bennett just stick with CAM
    • Other?

Just now, 5fouls said:

That's fine.  We're all entitled to our opinion.  I'll stand by my belief as well that he will be coaching in college 10 years from now.  I actually think it will be sooner than that because both Duke and UNC will be looking for a coach before then.  

I think the next coach at Duke will be a Duke guy because you know coach K will have a say in who the new guy will be.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I think the next coach at Duke will be a Duke guy because you know coach K will have a say in who the new guy will be.

Duke is not going to make the same mistake that UNC did with Matt Doherty.  And, UNC sure as heck won't make that mistake again,  But, yeah, if you wanted me to put odds on either Duke or UNC, I think UNC would be more likely to seriously pursue Stevens.

23 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Me I don't know.   But I did go onto the Celtics message board about a year ago.  It seemed like the majority of Celtic fans still liked him a lot but the vibe seemed to be that he'd better get to the Finals soon or a change would need to be made.  You've got the Sixers and Bucks who are really good and the Nets with Kylie and KD.  It might be tough and I wouldn't be shocked if he was looking to move before long.

Fans posting on a message board have nothing to do with whether a change would be made with the Celtics. I was there when Celtics fans were screaming for Doc Rivers to get fired and I can tell you it was never even a consideration or a topic within the front office. 

The Celtics, their owner Wyc and Danny Ainge don't operate that way. They loved Doc and they love Stevens. Tatum and Brown are turning into superstars, so unless there is some kind of complete collapse (which there was with Doc and they still didn't fire him), which I don't see happening, he's not getting fired anytime soon. 

3 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

Maybe Dane is the OC and Stephens is the DC..😂

If you read the bios, it just reads as if Stephens has the greater role.

Dwayne Stephens is in his 16th season as an assistant coach at Michigan State, and his seventh as associate head coach. 

Stephens’ many responsibilities include player development, scouting and recruiting.

Dane Fife is in his eighth season as at Michigan State, working closely with the Spartan perimeter players.  He was named associate head coach prior to the start of the 2018-19 season after seven years as an assistant coach.

https://msuspartans.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/coaches/dwayne-stephens/895

https://msuspartans.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/coaches/dane-fife/619

Just now, 5fouls said:

Duke is not going to make the same mistake that UNC did with Matt Doherty.  And, UNC sure as heck won't make that mistake again,  But, yeah, if you wanted me to put odds on either Duke or UNC, I think UNC would be more likely to seriously pursue Stevens.

Well UNC did hire another former alumni in Williams.  The only reason Williams went to UNC after turning them down twice before was that Dean personally asked him to come.  If Williams was not a former UNC alumni he would be coaching there today

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

If it wasn't for age I think Beilein would be that home run hire.  Matta would also be on my list but heath concerns is a problem. Even if he comes back and then starts having the same issues again then we would be in trouble again.

Beilein was my favorite coach in the Big Ten when he was at Michigan.  IU messed up royally when they had a chance to get him after Davis was fired.  But, his age makes him a non-starter in my book.  IU needs success, bit they need it under the umbrella of long term security.  You don't get long term security hiring a 68-69 year old man.

Just now, 5fouls said:

Beilein was my favorite coach in the Big Ten when he was at Michigan.  IU messed up royally when they had a chance to get him after Davis was fired.  But, his age makes him a non-starter in my book.  IU needs success, bit they need it under the umbrella of long term security.  You don't get long term security hiring a 68-69 year old maB.

I agree we can't hire some one that age to take over.  If the rumors are true that Greenspan wanted Beilein but was override by the president it would be one of the biggest blunders of all time.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well UNC did hire another former alumni in Williams.  The only reason Williams went to UNC after turning them down twice before was that Dean personally asked him to come.  If Williams was not a former UNC alumni he would be coaching there today

Huge difference.  Williams had already proven to be a championship caliber winning coach in college.  None of Coach K's proteges are close to being a Williams level hire.

Some of the big names mentioned here presupposes that IU will change its stripes and offer a competitive and aggressive package.  Cal makes something like $8M or $9M.  K is higher than that.  Depending on who it is, we are going to have to change the approach.  

As 5fouls pointed out, somebody like UNC could go all in on Stevens and that would mean beaucoup bucks.  We have been fishing in a different kind of pond.  The poor logic is that we are IU so we will offer someone who will be happy to take our $3M when in reality it is overpaying.  

30 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

I think @BGleasgave a good explanation at the difference in Smart and Howard.  Howard is part of an iconic lore with the Fab 5.  It was a long time ago, but still works.  It's hard to imagine many kids these days would think much of Keith Smart's shot from 34 years ago.  I'm also not sold that Howard is anything great.  He came into a solid situation and is probably pulling a Penny Hardaway with recruiting.  Can he really coach?  Maybe.  Will he get in trouble recruiting wise?  We'll see.  

Yeah, Smart and Juwan Howard are not the same thing. 

Howard was part of a culturally iconic group. He also had a successful NBA playing career, and then was an assistant for one of the best run organizations in the NBA when they won two titles with LeBron and Wade. 

Howard carries weight not only with players, but even more with the parents that have players the age that are being recruited. I'd bet recruits all over the country know who Howard is and probably have no clue that Smart played at IU and hit a championship winning shot. 

Not saying Smart couldn't work, he wouldn't be my choice, but IU hiring him is not the same thing as Howard at Michigan.

2 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Some of the big names mentioned here presupposes that IU will change its stripes and offer a competitive and aggressive package.  Cal makes something like $8M or $9M.  K is higher than that.  Depending on who it is, we are going to have to change the approach.  

As 5fouls pointed out, somebody like UNC could go all in on Stevens and that would mean beaucoup bucks.  We have been fishing in a different kind of pond.  The poor logic is that we are IU so we will offer someone who will be happy to take our $3M when in reality it is overpaying.  

The 28 Highest-Paid College Basketball Coaches in 2020 - TheStreet

There are only 3 coaches making over 5 million and they are Cal, coach K and Mick Cronin.  Archie is only making less than $700,000 than Roy Williams and right at 1 Mil less than bill Self.  to me you don't just throw out huge money for any coach and if those top coaches aren't available then it doesn't matter what you pay.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The 28 Highest-Paid College Basketball Coaches in 2020 - TheStreet

There are only 3 coaches making over 5 million and they are Cal, coach K and Mick Cronin.  Archie is only making less than $700,000 than Roy Williams and right at 1 Mil less than bill Self.  to me you don't just throw out huge money for any coach and if those top coaches aren't available then it doesn't matter what you pay.

https://media.giphy.com/media/gHyKhva4vjc88/giphy.gif

12 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

If you read the bios, it just reads as if Stephens has the greater role.

Dwayne Stephens is in his 16th season as an assistant coach at Michigan State, and his seventh as associate head coach. 

Stephens’ many responsibilities include player development, scouting and recruiting.

Dane Fife is in his eighth season as at Michigan State, working closely with the Spartan perimeter players.  He was named associate head coach prior to the start of the 2018-19 season after seven years as an assistant coach.

https://msuspartans.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/coaches/dwayne-stephens/895

https://msuspartans.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/coaches/dane-fife/619

Ok thanks...so they are both Associate with Stephens having the seniority 

22 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Fans posting on a message board have nothing to do with whether a change would be made with the Celtics. I was there when Celtics fans were screaming for Doc Rivers to get fired and I can tell you it was never even a consideration or a topic within the front office. 

The Celtics, their owner Wyc and Danny Ainge don't operate that way. They loved Doc and they love Stevens. Tatum and Brown are turning into superstars, so unless there is some kind of complete collapse, which I don't see happening, he's not getting fired anytime soon. 

Didn't say he was getting fired but I doubt he went to Boston with the intention of being there a decade and not making a single NBA finals.  He might have had enough at a certain point. 

4 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Didn't say he was getting fired but I doubt he went to Boston with the intention of being there a decade and not making a single NBA finals.  He might have had enough at a certain point. 

You implied it. Obviously I watch a ton of Celtics and pay close attention, I get zero vibe at all that Stevens is anywhere near someone that has had enough. 

I think he loves Boston, the organization loves him, he has a ECF/Finals level competitive team with one of the better GM's in the league, a supportive ownership group and the best young tandem in the entire league. 

8 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Yes, but don’t take it wrong. I like Dane, just don’t think he’s ready for a job at this level. If he wasn’t an IU grad, he wouldn’t even be mentioned 

Oh absolutely...my point is we have had 20 plus years of coaching changes so why not. ....getting a older coach is not IMO the way to go...if only Sampson could have played by the rules(at the time)...and respected the job he had i doubt we would even have this convo

6 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

Oh absolutely...my point is we have had 20 plus years of coaching changes so why not. ....getting a older coach is not IMO the way to go...if only Sampson could have played by the rules(at the time)...and respected the job he had i doubt we would even have this convo

Why is everyone so opposed to an older coach? I guess it depends on your definition of older, but IMO if there is a change at some point, IU should be looking at an established coach with a proven Power 5 track record. 

Beilein was in his mid-50's when he took over at Michigan. Roy Williams was in his early/mid 50's when he took over UNC. Lon Kruger was in his late 50's when he took over Oklahoma. Sampson was in his late 50's when he took over at Houston. Leonard Hamilton was in his early 50's when he took over FSU (by the way, can't believe he's been at FSU for almost 20 years). Rick Barnes was around 59/60 when he took over at Tennessee. 

It seems to me, if there is a change, IU should be looking for coaches with those types of profiles to solidify the program for a decade+, get the program back to competing at the high end of the conference and making tournament runs. A been there, done that type of coach, unless there is a no-brainer younger coach which I doubt there is. 

15 minutes ago, BGleas said:

You implied it. Obviously I watch a ton of Celtics and pay close attention, I get zero vibe at all that Stevens is anywhere near someone that has had enough. 

I think he loves Boston, the organization loves him, he has a ECF/Finals level competitive team with one of the better GM's in the league, a supportive ownership group and the best young tandem in the entire league. 

I don't think he would but you never know.  Rick Carlisle was fired by the Pacers and he was a pretty good coach imo.  Jerry Sloan got fired.

Archived