Potential replacement coaches

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Hoping this happens.  Any of the names on this tweet could do it and will do it.  All of these names graduated from IU, hopefully that degree gets you a big time gig.  And, they all can coach.  Do they have the energy to shutoff people who write them off before they even inquire about the job? That is my only worry and it is a major concern.  That is my take and like some on here who say this and that, this fan and graduate of multiple degrees from IU wants this to happen.  And, many others do to. 

Correct. Because you don’t need experience, skill, reputation as a coach, X’s and O’s, and you sure as HECK don’t need to be a person who’d get a job anywhere else...all you gotta do is be a former player and know what “IU truly means.”

Everything else will take care of itself.

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i was really hoping absolute worst case scenario was Beilein or Matta.  i can't even wrap my brain around which "IU guy" i would want as a fallback.  Woodson doesn't excite me at all.  i feel like Lewis or Fife could become a great coach one day, but who knows?  just can't even imagine Cheaney who has never been a head coach or even a #1 assistant.  i might take Fife i guess?

I think Cheaney might do ok, but he is a risk.  I think he would be a good recruiter.  There was talk that he was really popular with the players when he was here with Crean.  In a better time, it would be a risk worth maybe feeling out.  Particularly if you got him some experienced assistants.

This is not a better time though.  Whoever gets brought in is probably going to have a short leash.  The AD over the past 20 years has botched this so bad that each successive coach that gets brought in is going to be dealing with the baggage of guys before him until we start to win.  I don't want that for Cheaney.

10 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I'm not really following the point, but that's ok and wouldn't be the first time 🤣

You, my wife and my own children have something in common. 

Let me clarify a little -

There are high profile players across the country that bleed basketball who do not know who some of these coaches are.  Many do.

To worry that a recruit doesn't know Mike W. Does not concern me as a connection and relationship will be made.  He will probably have ex players helping him...... who the kids today know.

26 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

So what was your opinion when Tom Allen was hired as the full time coach at IU.  I remember the majority of the people couldn't believe we hired a guy who had no HC experience.  I remember alot calling him a high school coach many times.

Please do not compare the IU football program to the IU Basketball program. They aren’t the same level.

Now if a former player is the new basketball coach, then the basketball program has fallen to the football program level.

Just now, JugRox said:

Please do not compare the IU football program to the IU Basketball. They aren’t in the same level.

Now if a former player is the new basketball coach, then the basketball program has fallen to the football program level.

YESSSSSS!!!! Good LORD people

1 minute ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

You, my wife and my own children have something in common. 

Let me clarify a little -

There are high profile players across the country that bleed basketball who do not know who some of these coaches are.  Many do.

To worry that a recruit doesn't know Mike W. Does not concern me as a connection and relationship will be made.  He will probably gave ex players helping him as well who the kids today know.

And that’s why you are not making the decision.

Just now, JugRox said:

And that’s why you are making the decision.

I am convinced you have a stance and I have a stance.  Hopefully when the decision is made the focus for all goes back into the student athletes and the program.  Regardless of who is hired, the program will need our support.

2 minutes ago, Inequality said:

The women’s team can put up 70 and the men’s team struggles to get 24 in a half.

I used to joke with snowling that the women’s team could whoop on the men’s team.

Idk who would win but I assure you the women would set a season high for threes and someone on their team would set a career high scoring.

I think every single poster here or in the fan base would love it if we had an ex-player with the right skins on the wall to be hired.  The problem is none of them check out.  It simply isn’t rational to hire one of the ex IU players.  

The notion that we’ve had some hires from “outside the family” who did not meet expectations and thus “that means we should now go with an ex player” couldn’t be any more faultier reasoning.  That’s not a one plus one equals two situation. 

I respect the ex players and all they did as players.  But with all due respect they don’t own the rights to the job.  It’s not their place to assign somebody that spot.  It’s not how it works.  If anything they might be narrow minded with a preconceived bias.  It’s nothing personal against any of them, but there’s a limit to the value of their input.  

We need the best hire, period.  And if you think of it that way, we shouldn’t hire an ex IU player.   None of us is getting any younger.  None of us.  I am way past the point of throwing away 4-5 years on some ill conceived experiment.  If you want somebody connected with our past, the closest would be Beard as sort of a cousin since he came off the Knight tree.  And in that case, he’s actually qualified.  I like him but I like Muss too as well as Oats.  

39 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Established doesn't have to mean HC. 

Idk what you're even arguing right now. You seriously want Fife, Woodson, Lewis, or Cheaney? 

Do you understand how unimpressive Cheaney was for the UE job? He was lazy. They thought he was incredibly unprofessional. 

Hold on.  Did you just call Calbert Cheaney lazy and unprofessional?  Have you met him?  I've known him since we were in school together, and those are two of the last words I'd use to describe him.

2 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I think every single poster here or in the fan base would love it if we had an ex-player with the right skins on the wall to be hired.  The problem is none of them check out.  It simply isn’t rational to hire one of the ex IU players.  

The notion that we’ve had some hires from “outside the family” who did not meet expectations and thus that means we should now go with an ex player couldn’t be any more faultier reasoning.  That’s not a one plus one equals two situation. 

I respect the ex players and all they did as players.  But with all due respect they don’t own the rights to the job.  It’s not their place to assign somebody that spot.  It’s not how it works.  If anything they might be narrow minded with a preconceived bias.  It’s nothing personal against any of them, but there’s a limit to the value of their input.  

We need the best hire, period.  And if you think of it that way, we shouldn’t hire an ex IU player.   None of us is getting any younger.  None of us.  I am way past the point of throwing away 4-5 years on some ill conceived experiment.  If you want somebody connected with our past, the closest would be Beard as sort of a cousin since he came off the Knight tree.  And in that case, he’s actually qualified.  I like him but I like Muss too as well as Oats.  

1 hour ago, hoosier_exotics said:

So if/when we hire a former player, are we going to eat our own and hurt recruiting,  or actually stfu and get behind a guy?  I'm 99% sure of the answer

I told Dolson I'll always get behind our coach and support him until I can't. I still had a year left on Archie before the plug was pulled. To answer your question from this Hoosier fan....I ALWAYS support the coach until I can't.

I agree, we need to get this done. Get the new coach in here and start putting this team back together! 
I have a question, when we hire a new coach and it’s a home run! The player who signed up to Transfer want to comeback. Can the new coach say you know what I think I am going another direction! 

Archived