Potential replacement coaches

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, iucane said:

It isn't about respect.  It is about qualifications.  Stevens is well qualified to take over IU (the fact he is from Indiana and viewed IU as a dream school makes people believe he should jump at the chance to coach here).  Woodson with no college/recruiting experience is a questionable hire in the face of more qualified candidates even though he is from IU/played for IU and is begging for the job.  I  respect both of them, but only want one of them for head basketball coach.

My point was not whether Stevens was a good hire from our (IU's perspective) - I think this is as universally accepted as anything can be on a fan board.

But that we as fans are upset that he did not take the IU job because he was from Indiana and grew up an IU fan despite the fact that most people outside of Indiana would consider him way OVER QUALIFIED for the IU job (that is why Goodman is trolling us, for example). 

So if we expect an Indiana person to accept a de facto demotion to help out IU, then we should strongly consider a candidate with the same Indiana connections - even if his qualifications are not perfect (namely, lacks collegiate coaching experience). 

Personally, I think this board WAY underestimates Woodson's qualifications - but that is a separate point.

I’m not in a hurry because I hope we get a look with Muss.  I can see them going to the Final Four so we will see.  I think they are a lock for the elite 8. Even if we double his salary or blow him away at $6 M, Arkansas can easily match and probably would want to.  So, then it would come down to whether he wants to come to Indiana.  Unless another home run is in the works, I hope we take his temperature.  I like the combo of offense and defense, the pace but with the ball security, and his NBA background for recruiting.   

1 minute ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Experience and accomplishments aside, there's something to be said for a coach who wants the JOB over one who wants the MONEY.

I just think that any coach who is offered/takes the job will want to win regardless of how much money they are making. That is how most coaches are wired.  I have to believe almost all of the coaches realize what they would be walking into if they take the IU job.

That being said, Dolson should hire the best possible coach he can regardless if he is an "IU guy" or not. If there was an "IU guy" who was qualified for the position I would be all for it. I just don't think IU can afford to take a big gamble on this hire after the last 21 years.

18 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I agree with everything except the last sentence. He isn't an a-hole because he doesn't want to coach here. He's got one of the best sporting jobs on the planet currently. 

Saying Stevens is an a-hole is about on par with guys calling a girl a b*tch because she turns them down. 

I explained where that was coming from in another post.  My liking of Brad Stevens to Indiana has always been about his ability to coach.  I wasn't a fan when he was at Butler and I am not a fan at Boston.

I thought he came off as kind of an asshole in his press conference.  Your mileage may vary.

34 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I've yet to hear one thing that turns me off on Woodson.

Of course you will lose with a trashly run Knicks and Hawks(that he actually turned good).  

I could actually care less about a lack of college experience.  He would have no problem.  Assemble a staff with a mix of young aggressive guys.  His rolodex has to be ridiculous.  

If he wasn't an IU guy you'd laugh at him being considered. He is about the 80th candidate for this job.  

26 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I've yet to hear one thing that turns me off on Woodson.

Of course you will lose with a trashly run Knicks and Hawks(that he actually turned good).  

I could actually care less about a lack of college experience.  He would have no problem.  Assemble a staff with a mix of young aggressive guys.  His rolodex has to be ridiculous.  

Actually he did not lose with the Knicks.  He took over for D'Antoni and went 18-6 to get the team in the playoffs with a 36-30 record losing to Lebron and the Heat. Then had a very solid follow up before losing to the pacers in EC semis.  IMO, he is fine coach.  Can he recruit the talent?  Not advocating for Woodson but sure wouldn't be disappointed if he were the guy after making Brad, Beard, Drew, Musselman, Bennett say No.

Outside the box,  I think Chauncey Billups will succeed no matter what route he takes.  I expect his lack of IU ties and experience makes him a non factor but I think he'd be a great hire. 

2 minutes ago, iamaparker1 said:

How about we hire Woodson  because he WANTS to be here. Hire Chaney as an associate head coach. Keep Hunter for recruiting. Hire Jordan Hulls as an assistant. Then we have 3 generations of IU coaches on the bench.

How about we leave this "headache" to Dolson?

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

If he wasn't an IU guy you'd laugh at him being considered. He is about the 80th candidate for this job.  

If he wasn't an IU guy, I would not understand why he is being considered. I would not laugh at it - he is definitely more than qualified to coach at the collegiate level (no guarantee of success, but there never is). 

We all want to win the Indiana way (i.e., no cheating, players are actually students...). I think someone from an SEC school, for example, is a higher risk than someone that understands OUR expectations off the court. 

We all want the best coach for the IU job (hopefully). But the fact that Woodson surely understands some of the off-court expectations at IU bumps up his qualifications and lowers his risk of failure. 

8 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I explained where that was coming from in another post.  My liking of Brad Stevens to Indiana has always been about his ability to coach.  I wasn't a fan when he was at Butler and I am not a fan at Boston.

I thought he came off as kind of an asshole in his press conference.  Your mileage may vary.

Not liking him is fine, to each their own. I just don't see the a-hole thing at all.

He was honestly pretty nice in how he let us down, then he reaffirmed that he is "one of us" to the team and city he represents. 

4 minutes ago, iamaparker1 said:

How about we hire Woodson  because he WANTS to be here. Hire Chaney as an associate head coach. Keep Hunter for recruiting. Hire Jordan Hulls as an assistant. Then we have 3 generations of IU coaches on the bench.

Hire me then.  I WANT the job more than Woodson

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

Not liking him is fine, to each their own. I just don't see the a-hole thing at all.

He was honestly pretty nice in how he let us down, then he reaffirmed that he is "one of us" to the team and city he represents. 

Yeah, well the Celtics suck!

Archived