Potential replacement coaches

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, btownqb said:

We haven't gotten behind Crean or Archie... why would we get behind anyone? 

Right there in that statement is one of the things wrong with this program.  No matter who is hired to be the next coach should get the backing of the fan base.  I didn't like the last few hires bit gave them time to judge them

I'll get behind whoever is hired. As I said yesterday, I trust Dolson to get who he feels is the right guy. 

With that said, a hire from that former player list definitely loses the press conference and isn't very inspiring outside of the diehard "IU guy" crowd. 

Doesn't mean the hire wouldn't end up successful, but it doesn't inspire IMO.

The one guy that does excite me a bit is Michael Lewis. I'd rather he come as an assistant under a Beard hire, but he does bring some intriguing qualities. 

Just now, btownqb said:

Lol sorry I would want to play for an established coach as a player? Tf 

So what was your opinion when Tom Allen was hired as the full time coach at IU.  I remember the majority of the people couldn't believe we hired a guy who had no HC experience.  I remember alot calling him a high school coach many times.

22 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Got to disagree - I asked many of my players in the Chicagoland and they did.  Of course, a few didn't.  

When I was a kid, I use to tell my mom that everyone had Jordan's so I needed the latest.  She use to say with sarcasm...everyone?

That's a big time assumption and I would think if teenagers in a Chicago suburb know who he is, then there you go.

Oh, some didn't know Stevens.  And, most don't follow Arkansas, let alone their coach - and, many have ties to Justin Smith.

Riiiight

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

So what was your opinion when Tom Allen was hired as the full time coach at IU.  I remember the majority of the people couldn't believe we hired a guy who had no HC experience.  I remember alot calling him a high school coach many times.

You mean the guy connected in Tampa, Mississippi, Indianapolis, and had just coached OUR TEAM to a very, very solid defense. The first defense that had been solid in a long time. 

And was getting ready to make $1M+ as Oregons DC.. 

Yeah that analogy doesn't check out at all here. I see what you were going for.. but it didn't work... at ALL. 

Just now, btownqb said:

You mean the guy connected in Tampa, Mississippi, Indianapolis, and had just coached OUR TEAM to a very, very solid defense. The first defense that had been solid in a long time. 

Yeah that analogy doesn't check out at all here. I see what you were going for.. but it didn't work... at ALL. 

Well Woodson had connections all through the NBA where most of the prospects want to go.

Also why didn't you answer my question of what was your opinion of the hire when it happened.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Established doesn't have to mean HC. 

Idk what you're even arguing right now. You seriously want Fife, Woodson, Lewis, or Cheaney? 

Do you understand how unimpressive Cheaney was for the UE job? He was lazy. They thought he was incredibly unprofessional. 

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Riiiight

Another point - Most recruiting is done by assisants building relationships and having connections to the AAU circuit.  Who knows those names?  Did we know Rob Senderoff who was Sampson's lead recruiter? I use him as one example. Every staff has that recruiter who the kids do not know until a connection is made.

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i was really hoping absolute worst case scenario was Beilein or Matta.  i can't even wrap my brain around which "IU guy" i would want as a fallback.  Woodson doesn't excite me at all.  i feel like Lewis or Fife could become a great coach one day, but who knows?  just can't even imagine Cheaney who has never been a head coach or even a #1 assistant.  i might take Fife i guess?

I think Cheaney might do ok, but he is a risk.  I think he would be a good recruiter.  There was talk that he was really popular with the players when he was here with Crean.  In a better time, it would be a risk worth maybe feeling out.  Particularly if you got him some experienced assistants.

This is not a better time though.  Whoever gets brought in is probably going to have a short leash.  The AD over the past 20 years has botched this so bad that each successive coach that gets brought in is going to be dealing with the baggage of guys before him until we start to win.  I don't want that for Cheaney.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Well Woodson had connections all through the NBA where most of the prospects want to go.

Also why didn't you answer my question of what was your opinion of the hire when it happened.

Well my apologies.. you lacked a question mark. 

My opinion of the hire... I was confused what had exactly happened with Wilson, but I was absolutely thrilled to get CTA. I knew it would take a special type of person to turn the program around. And his connections are proving fruitful. You understand I'm a football season ticket holder? I've seen bad football. Coach Allen's defense the first year was a breath of fresh air. 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Established doesn't have to mean HC. 

Idk what you're even arguing right now. You seriously want Fife, Woodson, Lewis, or Cheaney? 

Do you understand how unimpressive Cheaney was for the UE job? He was lazy. They thought he was incredibly unprofessional. 

No I rather have Stevens, Beard, Matta and Beilein but if not them then I go with an IU guy

29 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Got to disagree - I asked many of my players in the Chicagoland and they did.  Of course, a few didn't.  

When I was a kid, I use to tell my mom that everyone had Jordan's so I needed the latest.  She use to say with sarcasm...everyone?

That's a big time assumption and I would think if teenagers in a Chicago suburb know who he is, then there you go.

Oh, some didn't know Stevens.  And, most don't follow Arkansas, let alone their coach - and, many have ties to Justin Smith.

Are you saying more of the teenage kids you coach know who Mike Woodson is than know who Brad Stevens is?

Listening to a whole bunch of interviews with former players I learned that they weren’t necessarily upset with Glass for hiring CAM, it was that nobody from the IU ‘family’ was interviewed. 

Dolson is being thorough and in doing so, he’s going to appease the former players, and further reunite IUBB by interviewing Cheney, Woodson, etc. 

That said, I think the interviews are a courtesy and Dolson has his sights set elsewhere. 

JMHO. 

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Are you saying more of the teenage kids you coach know who Mike Woodson is than know who Brad Stevens is?

Thats not whay I said.  I said some didn't know either.  My point is that everyone thinks kids know this person over that person.  It's not true.  Heck, some forgot Fred Hoiberg was the bulls coach - but, they all know who Phil Jackson is (from my viewpoint). 

1 minute ago, tdhoosier said:

Listening to a whole bunch of interviews with former players I learned that they weren’t necessarily upset with Glass for hiring CAM, it was that nobody from the IU ‘family’ was interviewed. 

Dolson is being thorough and in doing so, he’s going to appease the former players, and further reunite IUBB by interviewing Cheney, Woodson, etc. 

That said, I think the interview is a courtesy and Dolson has his sights set elsewhere. 

JMHO. 

If it's just window dressing to be able to say they interviewed former players, that's even worse. People know when they're being patronized.

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Oats, Moser and a whole heap of others are more qualified. 

Moser who I'm 20 years gone to 2 tournaments. Oats who had one good year in a power 5 conference.  Wod you hire Crean back base on his last 6 years at IU because the had accomplished more than those two has.

1 minute ago, tdhoosier said:

That said, I think the interview is a courtesy and Dolson has his sights set elsewhere. 

JMHO. 

I had that same thought. That was the gripe when Archie was hired, so maybe this is just due diligence and letting the alumni base know he values them, etc.  

2 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Thats not whay I said.  I said some didn't know either.  My point is that everyone thinks kids know this person over that person.  It's not true.  Heck, some forgot Fred Hoiberg was the bulls coach - but, they all know who Phil Jackson is (from my viewpoint). 

I'm not really following the point, but that's ok and wouldn't be the first time 🤣

Archived