2021 MLB Season

5fouls

51 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Tony Perez vs. Bill Lee's Eephus pitch.

I was in a room full of Reds fans when Perez hit that...It sure picked up the mood...

Rip Sewell was the originator of that ephus pitch...They say Whitey Kurowski use to spit at it as it was coming in...

• Like 1

23 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Anybody else think Machado's slide into Edson was dirty?

I despise the Deadbirds, but that was a BS play...you could hurt someone like that... 

I have a 13 year old grandson that plays on an all star team. His team had a tourney over this past weekend. My grandson was playing 3rd base and the runner on 2nd barreled in to him, snapping my grandsons neck around! The runner was trying to dislodge the ball and, rightfully, was called out. 

So I guess BS plays happens in all levels of baseball.....

Forgot to mention, my grandsons team won the tourney, scoring over 50 runs in 4 games...

Edited by Proud2BAHoosier
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Can't believe how good the Giants are doing this year because their lineup is nothing special.  What is frustrating ad a Reds fan is that 4 out of 5 starting pitchers are former Reds and they lead the league in starting pitching

As I said to @5foulsearlier, Disco is the one I wish we wouldn't have let walk.

17 minutes ago, rico said:

As I said to @5foulsearlier, Disco is the one I wish we wouldn't have let walk.

It's crazy.  Yes, he struggled a bit last year.  But, I don't count anything that happened last season as real.  And, the Cueto trade has to go down as one of the worst in Reds history.  Not because Johnny has been ultra incredible since he left.  But, he was one of those guys that should have been a Reds lifer.  And, we got basically nothing for him.

Edit - And, I've always been a big DeSclafani fan as well.  Not surprised at all with what he is doing with the Giants.  The Reds just suck at developing pitchers.

Edited by 5fouls

9 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

At first I did but the Cardinals commented on it afterward and didn’t think it was so who knows. 

I'd have been better with Machado giving Edson the Fernando Vina treatment ala Albert Belle...

Going for the lower legs 30 feet from the bag is a dirty play any way you slice it...

Too bad pitchers like Bob Gibson aren't around today...Machado would definitely be paying the price for that chicken crap play...

I was flipping through the channels last night and stumbled across the South Bend Cubs/Dayton Dragons(Reds) game.  For you Cubs fans out there here is the TV schedule that I found:

https://www.abc57.com/news/south-bend-cubs-home-games-to-air-on-wmys

On my Roku I am able to get Indy and Chicago local programming by using Locast.  Of course I get the South Bend channels from my digital antenna.  But might be worth a look for you out of market guys.

33 minutes ago, rico said:

I was flipping through the channels last night and stumbled across the South Bend Cubs/Dayton Dragons(Reds) game.  For you Cubs fans out there here is the TV schedule that I found:

https://www.abc57.com/news/south-bend-cubs-home-games-to-air-on-wmys

On my Roku I am able to get Indy and Chicago local programming by using Locast.  Of course I get the South Bend channels from my digital antenna.  But might be worth a look for you out of market guys.

I love minor league baseball...When I was in Chicagoland Kane County had an A team (Cougars) in the Midwest League. A friend of mine (Insurance guy) use to rent the right field pavilion 6 or 7 times a year for clients, and he'd always invite our family. All you could eat ballpark food (Burgers, dogs, brats) and free beer...

The Cougars were an A's affiliate at the time...Fun times...  

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I love minor league baseball...When I was in Chicagoland Kane County had an A team (Cougars) in the Midwest League. A friend of mine (Insurance guy) use to rent the right field pavilion 6 or 7 times a year for clients, and he'd always invite our family. All you could eat ballpark food (Burgers, dogs, brats) and free beer...

Been to many a Cougars game. For Cub Scouts they would have a movie after the game you could watch from center field and then afterwards would camp out in tents. My kids were picked to be part of a https://www.zooperstars.com/ stunt there. Mr Zooper liked them so much he gave us tickets right behind home plate for a future game they were doing so they could use them again. 

I also really like https://northwoodsleague.com/madison-mallards/. Been to a few games there and had a great time. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

My best friend started his MLB journey back at Bosse Field with the Otters in 1995-96 season. Used to go down to Evansville most weekends to watch. Loved that park and the feel of getting to know the guys well over the summer. 

Spent a fair amount time at Kane County....as well as John O'Donnell stadium just inside Iowa. It's where I got my first glimpse of Shawon Dunston way back when. 

Love minor league parks. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

It's where I got my first glimpse of Shawon Dunston way back when. 

Shawon is my favorite Cub of all time...

There were so many expectations placed on him...He never quite got to be what some people imagined, but he always hustled and played hard...

• Like 1

Just now, IUFLA said:

Shawon is my favorite Cub of all time...

There were so many expectations placed on him...He never quite got to be what some people imagined, but he always hustled and played hard...

Always loved him. I was a Ryno guy but Shawon always played hard like you said. I could be making this up but I thought I remembered Durham saying once they clocked SD's throws from short at 94 mph. Cannon for an arm.

• Like 1

Speaking of Ryno, here's a pic from 1984 sporting an official Ryno jersey my wife had bought me...She's always been good about keeping me stocked up on Cubs/Bears/IU gear... :) 

I think this was taken at the St Louis Zoo...

image.thumb.png.b71315fffe4b7a245c35f4b86a4c9e2f.png

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Speaking of Ryno, here's a pic from 1984 sporting an official Ryno jersey my wife had bought me...She's always been good about keeping me stocked up on Cubs/Bears/IU gear... :) 

I think this was taken at the St Louis Zoo...

image.thumb.png.b71315fffe4b7a245c35f4b86a4c9e2f.png

Great photo! One of these days I'm going to have dig out some photos. For my birthday in 84 my Mom/Dad got me on the field at Wrigley for Camera Day. Photos with every single player....Ryno, Cey, Moreland, Dernier....

I always think about that. I was 10 and my parents dropped me off at entrance (RF corner) and they went to their seats with my sister. I laugh because I can't imagine in today's world any parent just sending their 10 year old off by themselves onto the field and saying have at it kid. Haha.

• Like 1