'23-'24 College Hoops Across the Nation(NOT IU!)

rico

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Nobody said they did. They're a measure of activity, intensity, etc.  I know a lot of fans don't get it, but pretty much every coach tracks them. 

Oh, I get it. Pretty much a useless statistic,Imo. Crean’s teams could have excelled in deflections yet still given up tons of points.

Kinda like the guy who hits .300 but only drives in 45 runs. Looks good but really doesn’t help the team win 

3 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Oh, I get it. Pretty much a useless statistic,Imo. Crean’s teams could have excelled in deflections yet still given up tons of points.

Kinda like the guy who hits .300 but only drives in 45 runs. Looks good but really doesn’t help the team win 

It's not a useless statistic at all. There's a reason most coaches track it. Its kind of one of those inside baseball type of stats, it's very effective inside the locker room. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Depends where that .300 hitter was hitting in tbe lineup.  If he was lead off hitter then that would be helping me be team win.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I know there is a lot to make fun of Crean but I don't get the deflection thing.  Every coach I hear talk about defense they say they chart deflections.

Usually deflections mean you are in the passing lanes not making things easy for you opponent. A very important stat IMO for your defense. 

Maybe I am wrong but the only 2 IU coaches in the past 50 years to have IU basketball ranked #1 are Bob Knight and Tom Crean. I too have understood all the bashing that still happens. IU waa a bad hire from becoming a DePaul or SMU etc..

On 1/8/2022 at 9:38 PM, Steubenhoosier said:

How many deflections lead to turnovers? is it 25% is it 10%? I think i read somewhere the goal is 35 deflections a game. I am sure you can do that math. the times it doesnt lead to a turnover, it disrupts the offense. A lot of college offenses waist the first 10-15 seconds of the play clock. you get a deflection mid set, it disrupts that set, now you have to set up an offense and try to get a decent shot within the remaining time limit. 

Its the subsurface on some of these statics. 

Blocking out doesnt necessarily lead to a rebound, but it sure does help.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

How many deflections lead to turnovers? is it 25% is it 10%? I think i read somewhere the goal is 35 deflections a game. I am sure you can do that math. the times it doesnt lead to a turnover, it disrupts the offense. A lot of college offenses waist the first 10-15 seconds of the play clock. you get a deflection mid set, it disrupts that set, now you have to set up an offense and try to get a decent shot within the remaining time limit. 

Its the subsurface on some of these statics. 

Blocking out doesnt necessarily lead to a rebound, but it sure does help.

Steals  are a worthless stat in general 

Ivey goes for pick 6 steak all the time which is great when he gets it but leaves the defense exposed when he doesn’t