'23-'24 College Hoops Across the Nation(NOT IU!)

rico

3 hours ago, Hoosier51 said:

Not a lot of basketball going on tonight so watching Detroit Mercy play Milwaukee. Mike Davis son Antoine is scoring like crazy, he has 39 points and 8-13 on 3s. He became their all time leading scorer.

I'm pretty sure this was the kid who said "Daddy, are we ever gonna beat Kentucky?" back in 2004. 

Time flies. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hoosier51 said:

Not a lot of basketball going on tonight so watching Detroit Mercy play Milwaukee. Mike Davis son Antoine is scoring like crazy, he has 39 points and 8-13 on 3s. He became their all time leading scorer.

Glad for Mike and Antoine. Detroit is 5-7 but their first nine games were on the road. 3-0 in Horizon, but had two home conference games canceled due to Covid that won’t be made up. Mike won the conference and/or conference tournament all six years at Texas Southern. He got a pay raise (making around $400k vs less than $300k at TS) but Detroit’s a tough gig, especially with his recruiting base in the South.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Glad for Mike and Antoine. Detroit is 5-7 but their first nine games were on the road. 3-0 in Horizon, but had two home conference games canceled due to Covid that won’t be made up. Mike won the conference and/or conference tournament all six years at Texas Southern. He got a pay raise (making around $400k vs less than $300k at TS) but Detroit’s a tough gig, especially with his recruiting base in the South.

Davis even with some of his warts is still a pretty solid coach. He isn't really a big program coach but he is perfect for places like Detriot Mercy and Texas Southern, he will always have success at schools on their level.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

Davis even with some of his warts is still a pretty solid coach. He isn't really a big program coach but he is perfect for places like Detriot Mercy and Texas Southern, he will always have success at schools on their level.

Really good man. Does a lot for each community where he coaches also. 

• Like 3

Just now, Hoosier51 said:

I was always a fan of his. 👍

My great friend ,my minister, waa the IU Men's basketball chaplain during the Davis years. If people knew half of the things that he did for players and people just in general the only negative thing anyone coukd say about Mike was he just was not the right fit. When Tom Rust says he is as good of a person he has met for me that speaks volumes 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

My great friend ,my minister, waa the IU Men's basketball chaplain during the Davis years. If people knew half of the things that he did for players and people just in general the only negative thing anyone coukd say about Mike was he just was not the right fit. When Tom Rust says he is as good of a person he has met for me that speaks volumes 

100% agree with your Tom Rust comment. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hoosier51 said:

I have a lot of respect for what he did at TS, a HBC with a shoestring athletic budget. Their entire non- conference would be paycheck road games against a lot of P5 schools. To manage a team through a tough winless non-con and then pull together to win the conference requires special skill. This is from the article announcing his hiring at Detroit. 
Meanwhile, Davis annually put the Tigers through one of the toughest non-conference schedules in the country. TSU began last season 0-13 with losses to Gonzaga, Ohio State, Syracuse and Kansas before winning the SWAC's automatic bid to the tournament.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

No surprise. Ol’ Tommy’s team gave up 92 to pUKe. 

Sure that they got a lot of deflections though.🙄

The more things change….

I know there is a lot to make fun of Crean but I don't get the deflection thing.  Every coach I hear talk about defense they say they chart deflections.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I know there is a lot to make fun of Crean but I don't get the deflection thing.  Every coach I hear talk about defense they say they chart deflections.

My college coach wouldn't come into the locker room at halftime or post-game until our assistant had totaled up the defelctions for each player and the team total. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

My college coach wouldn't come into the locker room at halftime or post-game until our assistant had totaled up the defelctions for each player and the team total. 

Deflections don’t equal stops