'21-'22 rankings and ratings

rico

1 hour ago, rico said:

We don’t deserve to be top 25 but according to the NET ratings we are 15 spots behind Monmouth, 5 spots behind Navy and 27 spots behind Chattanooga. That’s laughable.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think the NET is a good formula to use.  I am a mathematician, and I have been able to somewhat replicate it.  It is basically a blending of least-squares regression analyses with part of it being based on pure tempo-based scores, and the other part based on wins and losses only (similar to Jeff Sagarin’s old ELO Chess Rating).  My version had LSU and Purdue flip-flopped at #1 and #2, and IU at #58.  The thing to remember about these ratings is that while it’s a pretty good representation of what’s happened so far, it’s very early in the season and teams can move up or down 30-40 positions in a week’s time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IUJoe said:

I think the NET is a good formula to use.  I am a mathematician, and I have been able to somewhat replicate it.  It is basically a blending of least-squares regression analyses with part of it being based on pure tempo-based scores, and the other part based on wins and losses only (similar to Jeff Sagarin’s old ELO Chess Rating).  My version had LSU and Purdue flip-flopped at #1 and #2, and IU at #58.  The thing to remember about these ratings is that while it’s a pretty good representation of what’s happened so far, it’s very early in the season and teams can move up or down 30-40 positions in a week’s time.

Didn't realize math was required 

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, IUJoe said:

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Didn't realize math was required 

image.jpeg.1ff3c263547c5bf7ed512cac902256ba.jpeg

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, rico said:

Right behind Belmont...Hey, didn't we beat them in the super-duper secret scrimmage? I smell a rat...

6 minutes ago, rico said:

Kentucky loses to Notre Dame but beats UNC and jumps up 11?!?!

What does Ferguson say? ;) 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

We have not won a road game.  We keep hearing that.  Teams ahead of us in the NET that have not won a road game.

• Gonzaga
  • LSU
  • Duke
  • Purdue
  • Kentucky
  • Texas Tech
  • Colorado State

Scream that at your TV next time a commentator brings that up as an indictment against us.

i like to scream at crows when they land in my yard.

• Haha 2

Some interesting stuff here:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/college-basketball-rankings-iowas-keegan-murray-outscores-wisconsins-johnny-davis-but-badgers-get-big-win/

Again, those three players don't just rank first, second and third in the Big Ten in scoring, they rank first, second and third in the nation in scoring. They're also second (Cockburn), fifth (Davis) and sixth (Murray) in the KenPom.com National Player of the Year standings. And what's wild is that six of the top seven players in the KenPom.com National Player of the Year standings actually play for Big Ten schools -- with the others being Ohio State's E.J. Liddell (first), Indiana's Trayce Jackson-Davis (fourth) and Purdue's Zach Edey (seventh).

Edited by rico
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...