Wisconsin Postgame Thread

KDB

Games like this make me happy I live in AZ so it's early for me. I got home from work during halftime and started to watch the game, excited for once about IU's chances to finally win there. Then I had to run some errands and by the time I was there were only 3 minutes left and I saw IU had blown their lead. I didn't bother to start watching again since I knew they'd lose at that point. So having the game starting at 5 saved me 2 hours of wasted time and aggravation watching IU lose.

Looking at the box score:

-17 2nd half points

-TJD with only 9 points

-38% from the floor

-46% FT

-Had only 9 TO but forced only 4

-4 more could resulting in 5 more FT for the bad guys

That's how you lose games.

4 minutes ago, Bushmage said:

Woody said in the post game it "didnt even cross his mind" to get KL in the game.

With how Rob and especially XJ were playing, I find this to be extremely problematic. You have to adjust when XJ is shooting like that.

It's gonna be a long season.

• Like 1

Well i missed the first half someone scored 42 points. It wasnt from walking the ball up the court playing scared against the clock I bet. TJD isnt a pro. Pro's dont get they're butts handed to them by skinny farm boys that will be dentists when done with school. Kid got him on both ends. XJ and RP i'm not even going to talk about. This team has NO POINT GUARD THAT CAN GET THEM ANY WHERE!!! Middle of the pack at best. Durr was the best offensive player in the 2nd half, whats that tell you.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

It is? I think both halves are what we are. Case in point this was just the Syracuse game reversed. We’ve had some really good ball followed by some poor ball. This team has a higher ceiling than last years because we can actually shoot the ball a little bit and we attack the paint better and get out in transition. We will figure it out you guys will see. I’m not saying a final four of course or anything but this is a tournament team.

We can play that way for 2 halves...We just need our leaders to step up...

Tonight they didn't...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Indykev said:

Well i missed the first half someone scored 42 points. It wasnt from walking the ball up the court playing scared against the clock I bet. TJD isnt a pro. Pro's dont get they're butts handed to them by skinny farm boys that will be dentists when done with school. Kid got him on both ends. XJ and RP i'm not even going to talk about. This team has NO POINT GUARD THAT CAN GET THEM ANY WHERE!!! Middle of the pack at best. Durr was the best offensive player in the 2nd half, whats that tell you.

We’re not very good.

Some of you guys are way to quick to dismiss how bad the refs were. They were terrible:

• All three of X's three turnovers were AWFUL calls. The first should have been a foul on Davidson, not an offensive foul, and then a flop warning on Davidson as well. The second was CLEARLY off of Wisconsin and a foul on Wisconsin. The third he was tripped and lost the ball out of bounds.
  • Durr should have had a three point play, not a travel.
  • Three point play that really changed momentum right before half was on the floor.
  • The little 5-0 run right before half that changed momentum was completely a gift from the refs as noted in the calls above.
  • Geronimo's missed dunk he got his legs cut while he was airborne. 
  • When we got the lead back to double digits in the second half, the refs completely took over again. I don't remember all of the bad calls, but I do remember a pretty blatant moving screen on Rob and the Door three point play that was called a travel in there. The three point play would've made it a 15 point game.

Did the refs lose us the game? No, no one thing did. But they were terrible and we certainly win if they weren't terrible. We also certainly could have and should have still one despite how bad they were. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

I think CMW got caught waiting for the 8 minute TV TO to get starters back in, and it cost us. I also can’t believe that KL hasn’t seen a minute of floor time in the last 2 games, especially in the second half in this game when our PG play was awful. Kinda bizarre, but i guess he’s just terrible in practice or something. Really bummed that he’s not getting any action. 

Ugly, ugly loss, but still plenty of things to build on from this game. 

I think he tried to get him a short rest when he took him out right before the 12 minute TV timeout and then Durr played really well so he left him in.

If he takes Durr out and TJD played as crappy as he did half the board would be mad about that.

Look, the staff did a fantastic job getting the team ready to play. They had been starting so lazy. So good job on that.

The team (mainly XJ) was out of control and on a tizzy at the end of the game when Wisky pulled within 4. A Thad Matta or similar experienced coach who can close games would have handled that differently. This staff just let it play out.

This game shows a glimpse of what can be but the reality of where they currently are. As a team, staff and let’s just not mention the program

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Maybe, but do you think those refs were going to call any of those in Madison friggin Wisconsin?

Honestly, yes. I expect every game to be called fair.

And if I were coach and my guys are attacking but getting fouled I tell them to keep doing it because they're going to have to call it. 

30 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

Your friends not watching says nothing about this game, it just says they are fairweather fans. 

I can see that viewpoint, but maybe the return on investment vs family time is 100% negative.  This program does not deserve what you expect the fanbase to give.  Anyway, heart is broken again.  Vibes fan.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Some of you guys are way to quick to dismiss how bad the refs were. They were terrible:

• All three of X's three turnovers were AWFUL calls. The first should have been a foul on Davidson, not an offensive foul, and then a flop warning on Davidson as well. The second was CLEARLY off of Wisconsin and a foul on Wisconsin. The third he was tripped and lost the ball out of bounds.
  • Durr should have had a three point play, not a travel.
  • Three point play that really changed momentum right before half was on the floor.
  • The little 5-0 run right before half that changed momentum was completely a gift from the refs as noted in the calls above.
  • Geronimo's missed dunk he got his legs cut while he was airborne. 
  • When we got the lead back to double digits in the second half, the refs completely took over again. I don't remember all of the bad calls, but I do remember a pretty blatant moving screen on Rob and the Door three point play that was called a travel in there. The three point play would've made it a 15 point game.

Did the refs lose us the game? No, no one thing did. But they were terrible and we certainly win if they weren't terrible. We also certainly could have and should have still one despite how bad they were. 

The Durr call absolutely totally changed the game.  We do not lose the game if that call was correctly made.  It wasn't even close to a travel.  We still should have won.  But, I'm 99.9% certain we do if they don't call travel there.

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, mookied39 said:

I can see that viewpoint, but maybe the return on investment vs family time is 100% negative.  This program does not deserve what you expect the fanbase to give.  Anyway, heart is broken again.  Vibes fan.

Well I hope if you if you have to decide between basketball or family you pick family.  If you are at home doing nothing and not watching that to me means they are fair weather fans.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

29 minutes ago, Hoosier83 said:

It does make me wonder if Vegas is in the college referees pocket like they are the pros. Not saying IU lost just bc the refs but two crucial calls that didn’t go out way 

You’re just now..in 2021 wondering if Vegas has a part in these games?? You’re late to the party!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Inequality said:

Look, the staff did a fantastic job getting the team ready to play. They had been starting so lazy. So good job on that.

The team (mainly XJ) was out of control and on a tizzy at the end of the game when Wisky pulled within 4. A Thad Matta or similar experienced coach who can close games would have handled that differently. This staff just let it play out.

This game shows a glimpse of what can be but the reality of where they currently are. As a team, staff and let’s just not mention the program

The staff is not inexperienced.  Woody coached in the NBA for how many years?  Fife has been on a Big Ten bench for how many years?  It was either a well thought out coaching strategy that backfired, or it was a bad coaching strategy to begin with.  Inexperience on the bench had nothing to do with it.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I put it on our best players for not coming out of the second to win the game.  TJD and Race missed to many bunnies and we missed to many free throws.  Not saying Woodson shouldn't be criticizing but he is not why we lost.  Why do people just always blame coaches when you lose.

I’m with you on this one Scott. I put blame all around the team. We missed way to many free throws, and X was trying to do too much. He was easily getting inside with his ball handling but was out of control too much, late in the game. We had way too many open shots and good looks and missed bunnies and free throws that just wouldn’t go down. Also, Wisconsin started hitting shots. All those things lead to the ultimate, perfect storm. Let this be a huge lesson to CMW and this team, to NEVER , EVER let your foot off the glass. What gets me though is how people come out of the woodwork with firey torches. This game was ours  for the taking but we gave it away…totally unexceptable! But……I can’t stand when people come on here and act like someone p!$$ed in there Wheaties!!! Look, I’m furious too, but THIS TEAM IS NOT the “same old team”, CMW is the right guy for this job! Don’t forget to give Wisconsin little credit…You best believe a team with CMW, Dane Fife, Yasir Rosemond and Thad Matta as coaches for this team, … a game like this won’t happen again. 

• Haha 1

Just now, 5fouls said:

The staff is not inexperienced.  Woody coached in the NBA for how many years?  Fife has been on a Big Ten bench for how many years?  It was either a well thought out coaching strategy that backfired, or it was a bad coaching strategy to begin with.  Inexperience on the bench had nothing to do with it.  

Which is exactly the point. They should have had the thought to call a timeout and get with XJ or replace him. 

Just now, 5fouls said:

This. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Honestly, yes. I expect every game to be called fair.

And if I were coach and my guys are attacking but getting fouled I tell them to keep doing it because they're going to have to call it. 

But that's not reality...most of the time they swallow their whistles at the end of the game...and on a few of XJ's drives to the bucket I don't think there was a foul...although he was looking for one...

Bardo did have one cogent thought when he said XJ should look to finish and not just be looking for a foul to be called...