Iowa pregame

Hoosierfan1901

Last two we are:

25/33 from the FT line- 75%, 15 total turnovers, and have given up 12 offensive rebounds. We had given up 4 very early to Minny and only gave up 3 more like the last 30 mins of the game. These three "stats" are the way we have to continue to win without being elite offensively, outside of just holding other teams to poor shooting %s. 

A lot to like the last two games. Lets hope we can take this show on the road. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Keep valuing the ball and carry the defensive intensity from the OSU game on the road and we’ll be in it. Not confident yet we can win on the road until I see it but do those two things and we’ll have a shot.  I’m sure Bohannon will hit some circus shots late that put daggers in our hearts. 

I thought about the Bohannon-Stewart matchup...since Bohannon doesn't put it on the floor much or rely on a mid-range game, I think Stewart will do ok on him...

If not, look for Rob to sub in early...last year Bohannon was 3-15 From 3 land in our 2 games with them. He doesn't like Rob guarding him...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I thought about the Bohannon-Stewart matchup...since Bohannon doesn't put it on the floor much or rely on a mid-range game, I think Stewart will do ok on him...

If not, look for Rob to sub in early...last year Bohannon was 3-15 From 3 land in our 2 games with them. He doesn't like Rob guarding him...

Bohannon and Kris Murry both shoot at or above 40% from 3.  So we can't slack off them or they will make us pay.  Rob did well on Bohannon last year so i look to see alot of him this game

• Like 1

It's going to take a strong commitment to stopping penetration and the kick outs for three. Iowa has twelve guys who have hit a three this season and five have hit ten or more. About 38% of their shots are three pointers.

Iowa is one of those teams where if they start hitting their threes it snowballs quickly. IU will have to stay with their man and try to do enough to slow Murray while taking away the rest. I'd be good with Murray getting his 25 points if it takes him 18+ shots to do it and they keep the rest under control.

Iowa's four losses are to good teams - at #2 purdue, Illinois, at #17 Iowa State, and at #23 Wisconsin. This will be a tough game but if they win it's another strong statement for IU.

That said, if they try to go toe-to-toe from three like they did with Minny, it's an L for IU. Attacking the basket, controlling the boards, staying with their man on D are keys to winning. X and Parker cannot continue picking up silly fouls.

Edited by Euroclydon

Just now, Euroclydon said:

I'd be good with Murray getting his 25 points if it takes him 18+ shots to do it and they keep the rest under control.

Good point...Jamison Battle got right at his average (19 ppg) but it took him 17 shots (including a lucky banked in 3) to get them...

EJ Liddell got the shots too, he just didn't make them because of our D...

12 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I prefer 9 oclock games.  Games that start at 6 or 7 break up the night in as way that prevents me from getting anything else done.

Yeah, I'm trying to get the boys to bed until about 8-815.  After that is chill time.  Ive missed a ton of first halves.  The good thing is, i record them and then blow through all timeouts and free throws.  Turn a 40 minute game into 41.  Usually catch up in the last few minutes of the game.  By then my buddy is texting me either happy or complaining.  

Just now, IUFLA said:

Patrick McCaffrey is 6'9, so another deal where I think they'd post Trey up...Geronimo would probably be a better fit...

I actually was going to say a combination of the two, but thought Galloway was the better defensive option which was more important.  It will be interesting to see how IU handles it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

I actually was going to say a combination of the two, but thought Galloway was the better defensive option which was more important.  It will be interesting to see how IU handles it.

Iowa can play their 5, Rebraca, out on the perimeter...he was a 36% 3 point shooter for North Dakota last year...only 25% for the Hawkeyes so far but he can hit them...

If we try to guard one of their bigs with Trey, I'd think Fran would play Rebraca out and isolate whatever big, Trey was guarding...

Geronimo held his own with both Liddell and Battle, I thought...his long arms and vertical can make up height advantages pretty well...

• Like 2

I don't expect our starting lineup to change and honestly I don't think it should. Coach said recently that "it doesn't matter who starts it matters who finishes". The staff demonstrated that in the last two game. They are spreading the minutes out so no one outside of TJD is playing 30+ without a significant drop-off on either end of the floor. To me this pays dividends across a long brutal conference schedule in many ways.  Galloway/Rob played 19/22 and 22/29 in the last two games coming off the bench and both finished those games.  There has been plenty of discussion on here about the benefits of particular guys coming off the bench vs starting and I'm in the believer camp there for sure.

• Like 3