Places to stay. Vacations, weekend trips, anniversary ect.

mrflynn03

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The unexpected surprises are often the best part of a vacation.  I got TWO on our first day of the trip.  We left home at 6AM with the goal of making it to Oklahoma City that night.  Our planned stops along the way included the Gateway Arch in St. Louis, the Joplin tornado memorial, and the 'Center of the Universe', which is an acoustic phenomenon at a spot in downtown Tulsa.  You can read up on it here (it's real by the way, you experience exactly what it says).  https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/the-center-of-the-universe-tulsa-oklahoma

The surprises, however, were as follows:

• After leaving Joplin, we took some back roads into the southeast corner of Kansas, just so my wife and kids could say they had been in the state (none had ever been to Kansas before).  After crossing the border into Oklahoma, we were still traversing back roads to reconnect with the interstate.  In doing so, I passed a sign indicating that the town of Commerce, Oklahoma was 5 miles ahead.  I racked my brain for a while, trying to think why I had heard of that town, and finally remembered that it was the hometown of Mickey Mantle, who was my dad's favorite ballplayer growing up.  We stopped, of course.  The local ballfield holds Mickey's name, and this statue is out front.

image.thumb.jpeg.0a11078c06ba18a4487c503d3e07793f.jpeg

The second surprise was received when we got to Oklahoma City.  We were staying at a Hampton Inn located in the Bricktown neighborhood of the City.  My son told me that the stadium of the Dodger's AAA affiliate was near our hotel.  Neither one of us realized how 'near' we were.  Here was the view from our room.  Unfortunately, the team was on teh road, so even though we were there 2 nights, we did not get to see a game.  

image.thumb.jpeg.1556629342b289f1f6bb7fdf880d5d1a.jpeg

Did you go to Cattleman's for a steak and Lamb Fries? 

Warming. Long post alert. 

My brother and I took our boys (19/14 respectively) on a baseball road trip.  He lives in Indy and I in Delaware. They flew into the area and off we went. Cooperstown for the HoF. Niagara Falls (both US and Canada side). Games in Toronto, Detroit (also the Henry Ford Museum of innovation), Cleveland (also the Rock’n’Roll HoF and a tour of A Christmas Story House), and Pittsburgh and then a quick stop at the Flight 93 Memorial after dropping my brother/nephew off at the Pitt airport. 

1729 miles. 11hrs and 9 minutes of the greatest game on earth. Countless laughs. Looking forward to the next venture. 

If you’re ever in Detroit. You have to check out this restaurant. It’s the best pizza.  After arriving in Detroit, we decided on pizza so we hopped on Google and located a local pizza place. We arrived to find a nondescript, tired looking racquet club with no indication that it’s a pizzeria, aside from the sign on the roadside.  It looked like an old medical office building.  We decide to go in and check it out. Vacations are made from adventures, right?!  We open the front door and immediately get punched with the aroma of pizza. We knew it was the right place. We follow the stairs up which leads us to a large lounge area with some tired furniture and old racquetball and tennis trophies in a case. Tucked in the corner is a double doorway (cast iron fencing) that leads into a pizzeria that looks like it’s straight out of a mobster movie.  Faded red/white checkered table cloths and brown pleather covered banquet chairs as well as a small dance floor and disco ball (not on).  We are immediately greeted and invited to sit anywhere. The server proceeds to provide a brief history about this family-owned business, how he has worked there for numerous years and even learned to curse in Italian. All the while looking like he was from the 1940s with slicked back black hair, living in Brooklyn, and about to ship off for war.  Tells us that everything is oversized. A large pie has 12 slices, which we polished off quickly. I couldn’t imagine the extra large. A nice crispy bottom but not cracker thin. It was one of the best pizzas (and dining experiences) ever. 

Long story short, too late for that, I can’t recommend Foggia’s Pizzeria in Southgate, Michigan enough. You will not be disappointed.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Naturalhoosier said:

Warming. Long post alert. 

My brother and I took our boys (19/14 respectively) on a baseball road trip.  He lives in Indy and I in Delaware. They flew into the area and off we went. Cooperstown for the HoF. Niagara Falls (both US and Canada side). Games in Toronto, Detroit (also the Henry Ford Museum of innovation), Cleveland (also the Rock’n’Roll HoF and a tour of A Christmas Story House), and Pittsburgh and then a quick stop at the Flight 93 Memorial after dropping my brother/nephew off at the Pitt airport. 

1729 miles. 11hrs and 9 minutes of the greatest game on earth. Countless laughs. Looking forward to the next venture. 

If you’re ever in Detroit. You have to check out this restaurant. It’s the best pizza.  After arriving in Detroit, we decided on pizza so we hopped on Google and located a local pizza place. We arrived to find a nondescript, tired looking racquet club with no indication that it’s a pizzeria, aside from the sign on the roadside.  It looked like an old medical office building.  We decide to go in and check it out. Vacations are made from adventures, right?!  We open the front door and immediately get punched with the aroma of pizza. We knew it was the right place. We follow the stairs up which leads us to a large lounge area with some tired furniture and old racquetball and tennis trophies in a case. Tucked in the corner is a double doorway (cast iron fencing) that leads into a pizzeria that looks like it’s straight out of a mobster movie.  Faded red/white checkered table cloths and brown pleather covered banquet chairs as well as a small dance floor and disco ball (not on).  We are immediately greeted and invited to sit anywhere. The server proceeds to provide a brief history about this family-owned business, how he has worked there for numerous years and even learned to curse in Italian. All the while looking like he was from the 1940s with slicked back black hair, living in Brooklyn, and about to ship off for war.  Tells us that everything is oversized. A large pie has 12 slices, which we polished off quickly. I couldn’t imagine the extra large. A nice crispy bottom but not cracker thin. It was one of the best pizzas (and dining experiences) ever. 

Long story short, too late for that, I can’t recommend Foggia’s Pizzeria in Southgate, Michigan enough. You will not be disappointed.

Sounds like a great trip! Isn't it amazing the places you go, things you see...and sometimes what stands out is a meal or restaurant or dive you found.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Sounds like a great trip! Isn't it amazing the places you go, things you see...and sometimes what stands out is a meal or restaurant or dive you found.

We wanted to always find something local/regional. It didn’t always happen. And it wasn’t always a success. But this pizza place was literally the best!

• Like 2

While at the Grand Canyon, we spent the night in Tusayan, which is about 3 miles from the Main entrance.  The next morning, we got up at 4:30 to head out to catch the sunrise.  While navigating through the hotel parking lot in the rental car, I almost ran into three Elk that were rummaging through the hotel's dumpsters.  Had to sit and wait a couple of minutes doing a stare-down until one of them finally decided to move.

After catching the sunrise, we came back to the hotel to catch a little sleep before going back to spend the day.  The Elk were no longer in our hotel lot, but in the back yard next door.  And, they had multiplied.  There were no longer 3, but 6 spread out the yard (I was unable to get all 6 in one shot).

image.thumb.jpeg.ac22aad47bebf2a5b6b33aa83cc211ae.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Sunset over the Grand Canyon on June 8th.

image.thumb.jpeg.1ed5c25ff6f12bcb23a45557f1bd1ff1.jpeg

Sunrise and sunset.....just gorgeous. Hope the trip was a great one! Car trips out West are vastly underrated. I've never been to Montana but headed out in August. Have to see that part of the country with our own eyes.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Sunrise and sunset.....just gorgeous. Hope the trip was a great one! Car trips out West are vastly underrated. I've never been to Montana but headed out in August. Have to see that part of the country with our own eyes.

My son and I want to do Montana.  Not sure my wife is on board with that.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I love going out West. Highly recommend both Yellowstone and Glacier National Park. I've fly fished once in my life and didn't catch anything but had a great time doing so (we were at the end of the fly hatch). The mountains, wildlife and small towns are all fantastic. You can take I70 (or I80) one way and I90 (Badlands and Mount Rushmore) or I94 the other way. Would be a great 2 or 3 week roadtrip. America at her finest. From cornfields to oil fields, plains to mountains, you see it all. 

No way to describe a Montana sky. Big sky country doesn't do it justice. 

Edited by Reacher
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Just read an article that starting in 2024 Americans will need a visa to visit Europe! If you’re thinking about it put that on your list.

Couple of things to consider from what I've read as of July 27.  No start date for 2024 has been announced.  The EU has been planning this for a long time and delayed it's start numerous times due to the EU parliament moving slowly.  The application isn't available at this time.  When it is available, it will be handled through a web portal or on your phone via an app (imagine that).  Cost will be about $8.  Beyond answering some personal questions, you'll need a passport that's not scheduled to expire within three months.  The actual form/application is for ETIAS (European Travel Information and authorization System).  

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Any East Coast or NYC area Hoosiers on here? Potentially trying to see the Hoosiers in NYC this November....but my food or special trip question is this. I despise Italian food...just never been my cup of tea however the other half loves it. 

There's a restaurant in Manhattan/Harlem named Rao's. Apparently it's impossible to get into. Was curious if anyone has been there or has any tips on how to get in. Everything I'm reading says next to impossible. 

Thought I would try on here. 

15 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Any East Coast or NYC area Hoosiers on here? Potentially trying to see the Hoosiers in NYC this November....but my food or special trip question is this. I despise Italian food...just never been my cup of tea however the other half loves it. 

There's a restaurant in Manhattan/Harlem named Rao's. Apparently it's impossible to get into. Was curious if anyone has been there or has any tips on how to get in. Everything I'm reading says next to impossible. 

Thought I would try on here. 

Try the Las Vegas or CA location? Buy a table at auction?

Cool (although dated) article- https://www.townandcountrymag.com/leisure/dining/news/a2743/how-i-walked-into-raos/

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Reacher said:

Try the Las Vegas or CA location? Buy a table at auction?

Cool (although dated) article- https://www.townandcountrymag.com/leisure/dining/news/a2743/how-i-walked-into-raos/

Really good read. Thanks for sharing. Just hit me halfway down in the article. Frank Pellegrino the owner played the FBI Chief in Sopranos. No doubt that cast and crew ate there a few times.