B1G rivals

For me it is these schools

PU.

UM. 

UI.

OSU.

On the other thread I said it was because in my informative years of watching college basketball.  These were the teams IU was competing with for the conference titles. 

I know the last 20 years MSU and UW have been the best and most consistent programs in the conference. It is just hard for me to put UM up there since it has never been where each team was really good for a long period of time.  I remember IU beating UW 31 straight times and now we don't compete with them.

I will never consider Rutgers, Maryland,  PSU and Nebraska ad big ten rivals

• Like 3

1. Purdue

2. MSU

3. Illinois 

4. Michigan

5. Wisconsin

6. Ohio State

7. Iowa

8. Minnesota

9. Maryland

10. Northwestern

11. Penn State

12. Rutgers

13. Nebraska 

1 is obvious, 2 I think is the team that has been the standard of the big ten in the modern era, 3 I think is a sneaky rival because of the hostility from Illinois’ side and the geographical proximity. 4-6 I thought were all close, but I view them as modern powers that have had our number recently, and a legitimate history of intense matchups. Iowa and Minnesota are almost interchangeable to me, but I guess Iowa has been better recently. Maryland is the highest of the new members in the big ten, most notably due to the fact that they beat us in 2002, but also Maryland is a big basketball school and we’ve had a good history with them since they’ve joined the conference. 10-13 I pretty much went in order of when they joined the big ten, but there’s very little history there with any of those schools. 

Edited by Hippopotamo
  • Like 1

Purdue-it’s Purdue 

osu isn’t really a rival but I hate them the most because I live in Ohio and buckeye fans are the worst. 

I have extra hate for Illinois and Wisconsin but aren’t rivals. Just big ten opponents. 

Msu to me because I feel like they are the other “ basketball school” in the conference with a good history.

Everybody else are just conference opponents I feel no way towards. 

I guess I would only consider Purdue our only “rival”. 

Purdue

Msu

osu

illinois

wisconsin

michigan

iowa

minnesota

penn state

maryland

northwestern

nebraska

rutgers

Edited by Hoosierfan1215
  • Like 2

Personally, I think the only true rivalry we have within the conference is Purdue. I think “rivalries” need to have some sort of fan-driven aspect. Outside of Purdue, what schools would our fans not get along with? That’s how I look at it. To consider something a rivalry it has to go beyond just how good the teams are. 

• Like 2

My list is:

1. Purdue

2. Everyone else

Basically agree with FKIM01 and 02Hoosier.  I want to beat everyone but there is just not the same natural energy around games against those other teams.  There had to be something else involved, like an issue with their current coach, or they have had our number lately, challenging for Big Ten, coming in highly ranked, etc.

I want to beat Purdue's butt because of their mere existence.  

Edited by IUCrazy2
  • Like 4

Purdue, and then the schools that want to take IU's place place historically atop the conference...

I'd probably have to say Michigan State second right now because they've had over 2 decades of sustained success and 2 NCs...Big 10 schools that have an NCAA championship...Michigan, Ohio State, Wisconsin...and Maryland, even though they won theirs while a member of the ACC...

After that, who cares...I do like beating Illinois because of their idiotic fan base, but historically, they're as insignificant as Purdue...they just don't have the luxury of being within our state's borders...they're only slightly above Minnesota and Iowa...

I more pity Northwestern than anything else...

The interlopers, PSU, Rutgers, and Nebraska I don't see as threats any time soon...although Rutgers has an irritating mock swagger that gets on my nerves

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

Tier 1: Purdue. You’re on the wrong site if you need a rationale behind this. 

Tier 2: UI. Rationale: Sparked by the Eric Gordon situation. Irritating fan base. Proximity. Purdue with different colors and a different ZIP code. 

Tier 3: MSU, UW, OSU, UM. No real animosity, just successful teams over the past 15 years make for good, semi-intense matchups. 

Tier 4: Iowa, Minnesota, Maryland. Irritating on game days, but I don’t think about them beyond that. 

Tier 5: NW, PSU, Nebraska. They’re conference games and not much more. 

Tier 6: Rutgers. Oh, right, they’re a “Big 10” team now. 

59 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1215 said:

I have extra hate for Illinois and Wisconsin but aren’t rivals. Just big ten opponents. 

I associate 'hate' with being a rival.  A team can be a rival without hate, However, if you hate a team, it seems they have to be considered a rival. Otherwise, where does the hate come from?  

1) Purdue

2) Illinois

3) Michigan State

4) Wisconsin

5) Ohio State

I really don't consider anyone else a rival.  I know a lot of people count Michigan because they are often a good team.  But, to me there is just not anything there.  We rarely recruit the same players.  Their recent coaches have all been easy to like/respect.  And, here's the clincher.  If Michigan was playing in the National Championship, unless it's against IU, I'm rooting for them.  I'm not rooting for Purdue or Illinois in the Championship game under any circumstances.  And, MSU, Wisconsin, and Ohio State would have to be playing a team I really dislike, such as UK or Duke.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 02Hoosier said:

Personally, I think the only true rivalry we have within the conference is Purdue. I think “rivalries” need to have some sort of fan-driven aspect. Outside of Purdue, what schools would our fans not get along with? That’s how I look at it. To consider something a rivalry it has to go beyond just how good the teams are. 

I have a dislike for many B1G fans.  The only ones I'm ok with are Nebraska and Rutgers.  Nebraska I keep hearing how nice they and Rutgers, no one in New Jersey, nor their alumni care.  Maybe add Minnesota to that, they are pretty irrelevant and outside of their football coach being a tool i can't think of a reason ai don't like them.  

And maybe Iowa, however I have heard they are horrible at home football games.  Dont let the wave to the children's hospital fool you.  

My top despised fans definitely starts with Ohio State.  Purdue fans are fun just to make fun of and point out that they never actually win anything that matters and then they putter and go um yeah.  Michigan fans get super loud and obnoxious when they are good at anything.  MSU and PSU fans should have done the right thing and asked their state governments to shut their athletic departments down for being horrible to children and women.  So naturally I hate them too.  

So I guess I dont like about half the conference.  I guess we all get to select our own criteria, which means there will never be a true across the board consensus.  

19 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I associate 'hate' with being a rival.  A team can be a rival without hate, However, if you hate a team, it seems they have to be considered a rival. Otherwise, where does the hate come from?  

This is silly - is Duke our rival with that standard? I think must of us probably cannot stand little weasel face but they're in no way our rival.