Offseason 2022

22 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I stayed off when news broke. Here's my two cents. Really a non issue until we know all the facts. Reckless driving could be turning down a one way the wrong way, could be speeding....resisting arrest could be not pulling over for the officer fast enough according to him or her.

This is minor stuff.....unless something else comes out. By the way. Kids make mistakes. You comfort them you don't discard them.

Regarding Matta....good for him. Hope it works out for him. No doubt Coach has a person in mind already for the position.

Both things today are worth about 30 minutes on twitter and here. Statement of the program posts are tiring on little things like this.

Seems like this story is the police report, so I would say they are listing the facts based on what the police believe them to be: https://www.wishtv.com/sports/college-basketball/iu-point-guard-xavier-johnson-arrested-for-reckless-driving-resisting-law-enforcement/

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BDB said:

If this is the type of culture IU did going to allow, they need to bring Kelvin back ASAP.  Some of you with your double-standards is laughable.  IU is a shat show.  

Curious. Is it a double standard because we don't see things the way you do? 

I'll give you a very specific example. Wife's client. 20 year old from here in Carmel. Lost a brother to Covid. Went out and got hammered. Bad choice. Got drunk and started driving. Bad choice #2. Cops tried to pull him over and he didn't. Bad choice #3. Had 4 police officers behind him going 30 mph down 116th St because the kid freaked....just wanted to get  home. He's an honors student at IU but he freaked and thought his life was ruined.

The end story is that each officer agreed with plea from my Hamilton County and my wife saying let's not ruin this kids life with felonies attached to his name....the officers all said strict probation but let's not ruin his chances of getting into grad school or whatever he chooses.

3 years later the kid is finishing up his 2nd year of law school. I believe in helping a KID out of their problems not discarding. 

Sorry to derail. Back onto hoops from this point for me. 

• Like 8

31 minutes ago, rico said:

You gonna tell a kid to stay off of social media these days?  Good luck with that.

There’s a difference between kids and high level D1 athletes.  These “kids” have handlers now and have an image to build.  No one wants to be like Kevin Durant with his shadow Twitter account.

The athletic department should be using this as a direct example of what not to do.  And I have multiple college age kids who do not have Twitter and do not have their other social media accounts public.  It’s not hard to teach kids to be smart in particular when you show then examples of the fallout.

Edited by iuthruandthru
Typos
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I’d be curious to know if X happened to be on a zero tolerance type policy after his previous suspension. That could make sense with the comments he allegedly said at the county lock up if that was in fact accurate.

Actually, that’s the proper reaction to being arrested for anyone. I spent a couple of hours in a county lockup when I was 18 for underage drinking, and that was a lifetime's worth for me. It’s a hell of a lot different than just getting a citation. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Curious. Is it a double standard because we don't see things the way you do? 

I'll give you a very specific example. Wife's client. 20 year old from here in Carmel. Lost a brother to Covid. Went out and got hammered. Bad choice. Got drunk and started driving. Bad choice #2. Cops tried to pull him over and he didn't. Bad choice #3. Had 4 police officers behind him going 30 mph down 116th St because the kid freaked....just wanted to get  home. He's an honors student at IU but he freaked and thought his life was ruined.

The end story is that each officer agreed with plea from my Hamilton County and my wife saying let's not ruin this kids life with felonies attached to his name....the officers all said strict probation but let's not ruin his chances of getting into grad school or whatever he chooses.

3 years later the kid is finishing up his 2nd year of law school. I believe in helping a KID out of their problems not discarding. 

Sorry to derail. Back onto hoops from this point for me. 

Was that the kids first offense

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

That didnt answer the question. 

I'm tired of beating around the bush... are you in favor of kicking XJ off the team or not? 

Yes I am because he was as suspended for the NW incident plus he had problems at Pitt.  When it came out that he was going 90 on Walnut that showed me he has had judgement.

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Can a player be "fined" out of some of his NIL money? 

Initial reaction without really thinking it out I would imagine any individual deals put in place might be put on hold. Just like with pros who lose sponsors...I would imagine if he had any individual deals they were contingent upon some things i.e. behavior,etc...

• Like 1

On one hand, we suck next year without him so maybe give one of your best players a 3rd chance? 

On the other hand, it could set a very bad example of what is the limit of things that will get you kicked off the team.  Currently a felony and a misdemeanor, the felony will most like be kicked down to a misdemeanor after he does a plea deal.  It will most likely hurt any NIL he has going and put a small black eye on NILs going forward with IU, albeit a very small one that is likely forgotten quickly.

Or it could show that a coach will go over and beyond to help a player because they are family.  But that set the precedent for players going forward and what they could expect from coach when making poor decisions.  Does CMW do the same thing for a preferred walk on vs your starting point guard?

Either way, its going to say something good to some and something bad to others.  Poo position to put your coach, team, university, and fans in.  Nothing good will come from their either way.

Do i care, not really.  Shit happens.  Consequences for actions happen in life.  Sometimes you get off scott free/easy, Sometimes you learn the hard way and it either negatively or positivity impacts what you do next with your life.  He isn't 14 so his choices are not those of a child, he is a young adult and he made a bad choice and it is now up to him to accept the consequences of his decisions and then decide how/where to go from there.

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

What are the chances XJ is placed in a diversion program? 90%+? 

I'd say around 500%...amazing the number of kids that head to Bloomington expecting to take at least one hit while there. Part of the deal.

I don't know if she still is but Dakich sister was a prosecuting attorney for Monroe County I believe. Might work against us? Haha.

• Like 1