Iowa Post Game Thread

Drroogh

Re: the offensive foul on TJD, we’re debating it with multiple angles, slo mo, etc., and we still can’t come to a definitive conclusion on whether it was a good call or not (personally,  i didn’t really have a problem with it). The ref gets one angle in real time. Not sure how anyone can say it was an egregiously bad call considering those circumstances. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, OLDIUFAN said:

I was babysitting and left the room for a minute. When I got back it looked like the refs we’re pulling Iowa Coach away from the IU huddle. What was happening? 

Nothing really...Fran crossed half court during a timeout to talk to one of the referees...some thought it merited a tech, but it was nothing...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Nothing really...Fran crossed half court during a timeout to talk to one of the referees...some thought it merited a tech, but it was nothing...

Let's not undersell it, though; he was practically at the IU bench, and a bunch of players and assistants had to tell at him to get away.

11 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

Let's not undersell it, though; he was practically at the IU bench, and a bunch of players and assistants had to tell at him to get away.

No one even addressed it in the post game...no questions asked about it...

If it had been anything, the media wouldn't have ignored it...Coach Woodson and others were waving Fran away, but I don't think Fran was trying to get into anything with our coach or staff...simply trying to get in the ref's ear...

If our shooters had just shot, then this one would have been game, set, match: candy stripes. MK and PS must be better than 2 of 9 from range for us to beat good teams, period. 

Hopefully, those two can get on a hot streak during the dance. Should that happen, then this team could make a run. No chance however if they don’t hit the open three balls. I’ll be watching those two closely as IU’s “X” factors. 

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

If it had been anything, the media wouldn't have ignored it...Coach Woodson and others were waving Fran away, but I don't think Fran was trying to get into anything with our coach or staff...simply trying to get in the ref's ear...

Not sure if it counts as "media" but Fisch was wondering why he could be that far and not get a "T".

Just now, Zuckerkorn said:

Not sure if it counts as "media" but Fisch was wondering why he could be that far and not get a "T".

I kinda wondered if the "across half court" applied during time outs...had it been during game play, I'm sure it would have been T worthy...

But, knowing the overall media, if they could have made something out of it, they would have...

39 minutes ago, IUKane21 said:

If our shooters had just shot, then this one would have been game, set, match: candy stripes. MK and PS must be better than 2 of 9 from range for us to beat good teams, period. 

Hopefully, those two can get on a hot streak during the dance. Should that happen, then this team could make a run. No chance however if they don’t hit the open three balls. I’ll be watching those two closely as IU’s “X” factors. 

Unfortunately, I feel like we've been saying that all season about Kopp and Stewart. Just completely wide open looks are being missed at a high rate. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, AxnJxn said:

Re: the offensive foul on TJD, we’re debating it with multiple angles, slo mo, etc., and we still can’t come to a definitive conclusion on whether it was a good call or not (personally,  i didn’t really have a problem with it). The ref gets one angle in real time. Not sure how anyone can say it was an egregiously bad call considering those circumstances. 

Without doubt.  But, it was the time of play, it was during the last few minutes when Iowa started to hit those 3's and caught fire.  It would of changed momentum, apply more pressure on Iowa.  It was the timing of the whole thing and where it was in the game.  When refs traditionally swallow whistles, they made a questionable call, that erased 2 points in the most critical of time. 

Edited by Fiveoutofsix
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

He was in the IU huddle basically.  Fran is a clown.  It should have been a T, I have seen guys get one for far, far less.  He deserved it for going into the outskirts of the IU huddle.

Edited by IUCrazy2
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

He was in the IU huddle basically.  Fran is a clown.  It should have been a T, I have seen guys get one for far, far less.  He deserved it for going into the outskirts of the IU huddle.

Warren was at every game, wonder if he has an assessment.  B1G would be so much healthier if they adapt to style of the rest of country.

Now for this T, it should be automatic or coaches will be doing it all the time.  Don't know why rules change based on games.  We saw a replay overturn a possesion this year, where it wasn't allowed.  Its crazy.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Warren was at every game, wonder if he has an assessment.  B1G would be so much healthier if they adapt to style of the rest of country.

Now for this T, it should be automatic or coaches will be doing it all the time.  Don't know why rules change based on games.  We saw a replay overturn a possesion this year, where it wasn't allowed.  Its crazy.  

It kind of blends with the complains about the terrible inconsistency of B10 officiating.  The evening before, those refs were T-ing up and tossing a S&C coach for complaining.

I look for the B10 to do nothing about it though.

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Last ten games- Parker 29% Miller 36% 

Last five games- Parker 19% Miller 40%

Yeah, Miller has been better of late. We do tend to lump them together, which isn't always fair. Just stunk that Kopp's shooting left him a bit yesterday. 

It's a shame the funk Stewart has been in since the NW incident. At that point he was shooting 46% from 3 on the season, not sure he's still even above 40? He's close. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, Miller has been better of late. We do tend to lump them together, which isn't always fair. Just stunk that Kopp's shooting left him a bit yesterday. 

It's a shame the funk Stewart has been in since the NW incident. At that point he was shooting 46% from 3 on the season, not sure he's still even above 40? He's close. 

Believe PStew is borderline 40% now

• Like 2

Our better offensive play in recent games has coincided with not just Kopp hitting some shots, but running him to the corner more than Race and looking for his shot there.  He hits a good chunk of them and we are stretching the court better.  This is a much better deployment of Miller.  He can help us.  He’s not quick but he works on D and he has decent length.  

Right now, X is not good. He’s playing at an elite level.  Changing speeds so the defender doesn’t know what’s going on, passing, shooting, getting downhill.   He’s always had the motor and tough nosed defense.  Trayce has flat out erupted and solved some things that were giving him trouble.  We’ve got some bench guys playing well. 

If Stewart can rediscover his shot, holy smokes, we can really turn it on.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Fran definitely got asked about it in post game

10 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Our better offensive play in recent games has coincided with not just Kopp hitting some shots, but running him to the corner more than Race and looking for his shot there.  He hits a good chunk of them and we are stretching the court better.  This is a much better deployment of Miller.  He can help us.  He’s not quick but he works on D and he has decent length.  

Right now, X is not good. He’s playing at an elite level.  Changing speeds so the defender doesn’t know what’s going on, passing, shooting, getting downhill.   He’s always had the motor and tough nosed defense.  Trayce has flat out erupted and solved some things that were giving him trouble.  We’ve got some bench guys playing well. 

If Stewart can rediscover his shot, holy smokes, we can really turn it on.  

X is the most improved player in season that I can remember.  TJD got into a slump, and the two arch enemies that got him in that slump he owned.  Thats character that is an all time great hoosier.  

It was interesting when the sideline reporter said coach was telling his shortened lineup don't waist energy on offense.  I agree with this strategy and two better communications on screens and that one bucket counting.  Different outcome.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Without doubt.  But, it was the time of play, it was during the last few minutes when Iowa started to hit those 3's and caught fire.  It would of changed momentum, apply more pressure on Iowa.  It was the timing of the whole thing and where it was in the game.  When refs traditionally swallow whistles, they made a questionable call, that erased 2 points in the most critical of time. 

Or we could have covered their shooters we left wide open in those minutes.

Theres almost no way refs aren’t going to call something when two guys end up on the ground on a shot attempt. A no call wasn’t going to happen there. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

Or we could have covered their shooters we left wide open in those minutes.

Theres almost no way refs aren’t going to call something when two guys end up on the ground on a shot attempt. A no call wasn’t going to happen there. 

Those were miscommunications on screens.  Players and coached talked about it after.  They were covering them.  They slipped, with communication and Iowa made them.

6 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Fran definitely got asked about it in post game

Yeah, but he played it off...Said something to the effect that he knew they (the IU coaching staff talking to the refs)  weren't advocating for Iowa...

He's not restricted to the coach's box during a timeout...We don't have any idea what was said...did it rise to "unsportsmanlike conduct?"  Without knowing what was said, that's impossible to know...

He was coaching for his team...good for him...Coach Woodson surely coaches for ours, and I'm glad of it...

16 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Those were miscommunications on screens.  Players and coached talked about it after.  They were covering them.  They slipped, with communication and Iowa made them.

I understand that, but we still didn’t cover them and left them wide open.

There we’re absolutely questionable and even bad calls both ways, but we left their studs wide open in crunch time and they made shots. It’s a bummer and we had a phenomenal run in Indy, but that was far and away the most fair whistle we’ve gotten since at least the Purdue game. 

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

I understand that, but we still didn’t cover them and left them wide open.

There we’re absolutely questionable and even bad calls both ways, but we left their studs wide open in crunch time and they made shots. It’s a bummer and we had a phenomenal run in Indy, but that was far and away the most fair whistle we’ve gotten since at least the Purdue game. 

I think since Rutgers.

Iowa game was better officiated then that Purdue game, as I swallow a little throw up. 

• Like 2