Ranking the B1G.....

rico

....as far as tradition.

I saw this conversation on another site and thought it would be fun and debatable here.  If you were to rank all B1G schools in order as far as basketball tradition how would you have them ranked in order.

I had my list but I am having trouble putting it up.

53 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

based on tradition

IU

MSU

UI

PU

OSU

WISC

MICH

MARYLAND

MINN

IOWA

PSU

NW

NE

RU

Hard to argue but I would have to move Ohio St and Michigan up ahead of Purdue. Probably Maryland too. Not a knock on Purdue but F4's count. Mine would be IU, MSU, Ohio St, Michigan, Maryland, Illinois, Purdue....the rest don't matter. If Wisconsin can do well with Gard maybe they move up but 15 years isn't tradition. 

1. IU
  2. MSU
  3. OSU
  4. MI
  5. WI
  6. MD
  7. IL
  8. IA
  9. PU
  10. PSU
  11. RU
  12. MN
  13. NE
  14. NW

I had a tough time ranking by tradition so I tried to do so in an unbiased method instead. This list is ranked by NCAA championships, then Final Fours, Elite Eights, Sweet 16s and lastly tournament appearances from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Ten_Conference#National_championships,_Final_Fours,_and_NCAA_tournament_appearances. I used the next round as tie breakers (for example OSU, MI, WI, and MD all have 1 championship, so FF was their tie breaker).

Interesting list I thought I'd share. I think it does a fairly good job aligning with tradition. I'd move PU and MN up some. PU for conference championships and they're own special tradition of being little brother and fearing the inevitable tournament collapse. MN because of the barn always being a tough place for IU to play for some reason.

40 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

IU

MSU

OSU (those too young to remember need to look at the early 1960's)

Purdue (this high based on conference championships)

Michigan

Maryland

Wisconsin

Illinois

Minnesota

Iowa

Penn State

Nebraska

Northwestern

University of Chicago

Rutgers

Love the University of Chicago mention.