Grad Transfers?

HoosierKix

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't. I really like Rabby's work but gave up on that site long ago. Stinks because he's dialed in.  But in addition to Romeo...IU will have room for at least 1 grad transfer. 2 if we miss on Romeo. More if someone else transfers. Archie mentioned he wants to get some class balance. With so many fresh faces next year I could see adding a grad transfer this year and next to compliment our youth. After that....not so much. I know we struck gold with Max but grad transfers don't usually work.

Edit: Spaced on one scenario. Now I'll take a guy like Nick Z all day long. Pure shooter. Much easier to coach. You stand there and shoot when open...haha

10 minutes ago, rico said:

Is there a list out there somewhere of potentials?

Not really. You have certain players who announced at break and found school (like CuJo, Jordan Tucker) but the real list won't happen until April or so. I'm sure certain players and coaches know which players are leaving though.

47 minutes ago, rico said:

Refresh my memory.

Former Crean recruit. He was only ranked #107 so many thought we shouldn't be recruiting those guys. 6-7/6-8 down low guy. Makes everything around basket and big rebounder too. Transferred to Dayton. Former Chicago kid. Tough nose player. Only thing is one of Illini staff is close to the family.

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

Think if we could add Zeisloft(ish) to next year's team... along with Romeo, the other FR, and Morgan stays... that's a top 20 team. 

Wonder if ISU or IPFW have a shooter or two available?

:coffee:

2 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I agree on the one grad transfer if we get Romeo, two if we don't scenario.  I think the consensus is we would like a shooter/scorer for the one for sure.  If we miss on Romeo and go for a second what do you all want to see?

I could see another pg to either start until Phinisee is ready or back him up.  

Anyone that can hit an open 3. You can go to the HPER and find someone to fill it up. Why our guys cant just amazes me.

4 minutes ago, slojoe said:

I read where CAM talked about grad transfers in general.  He said he does keep an eye out for those kinds of possibilities. 

He also said, if the kid was good, fit the system and would be in the rotation, only then would he consider it.

38 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I agree on the one grad transfer if we get Romeo, two if we don't scenario.  I think the consensus is we would like a shooter/scorer for the one for sure.  If we miss on Romeo and go for a second what do you all want to see?

I could see another pg to either start until Phinisee is ready or back him up.  

We definitely need another point guard and shooter.  I also would like to see good low post player that is over 6'9 but those are hard to find.

17 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

We definitely need another point guard and shooter.  I also would like to see good low post player that is over 6'9 but those are hard to find.

I think the shooter/pg is really the key one. Hopefully between Morgan, Smith, Race, Moore, Forrester and a (hopefully) healthy Davis we have enough of an interior in terms of defense and rebounding. But even with Langford our backcourt will be really, really young, and could use an experienced player there. 

P.S. I always forget about Race Thompson when projecting for next year. Really interested to see how much of an impact he can have. 

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Former Crean recruit. He was only ranked #107 so many thought we shouldn't be recruiting those guys. 6-7/6-8 down low guy. Makes everything around basket and big rebounder too. Transferred to Dayton. Former Chicago kid. Tough nose player. Only thing is one of Illini staff is close to the family.

I remember this well.  107 is a pretty solid recruit to begin with.  But, he always had me at hard nosed.  I wanted him at that time.

Right now, I would prioritize a pure shooter as the most pressing need.  Even if we were fortunate enough to get Langford, I think we still need to add another shooter.

Having said all that, I do like Cunningham alot as well.  Who knows, I could see a transfer or two at the end of the year.  We may end up with three spots open for all we know (I believe we are at two now).  Langford, one grad transfer, and maybe another.  I do wonder how Archie would feel about taking a Dayton player, having seen the way he handled McKinley Wright.

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

P.S. I always forget about Race Thompson when projecting for next year. Really interested to see how much of an impact he can have. 

I think Race is the guy I am most curious about for next year.  He will have had a year of building his body along with a year in the system.  I'm anxious to see what he can bring out of the gate.  

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I think the shooter/pg is really the key one. Hopefully between Morgan, Smith, Race, Moore, Forrester and a (hopefully) healthy Davis we have enough of an interior in terms of defense and rebounding. But even with Langford our backcourt will be really, really young, and could use an experienced player there. 

At this point... Phinisee as to be able to give us 25-30 mins a night against the good compeition. 

16 minutes ago, btownqb said:

At this point... Phinisee as to be able to give us 25-30 mins a night against the good compeition. 

Exactly, which is why we could really use a player with experience to pair with him, back him up, or even start ahead of him at the beginning until he gets his feet wet. Ideally I think you'd want someone that can play point, but also slide into a shooter role and play alongside Phinisee at times too. 

Archived