HSN Fantasy Football

3 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Yeah… he got auto picked to me as I was diving home from dinner and I wasn’t happy. Now I think he’s a potential steal…

Glad Robinson isn’t life threatening. I have him in a dynasty that I’m doing a rebuild so that’s a bummer there. 

He isn’t the best pure runner out there…I question his vision at times…but I think his demise was a little premature this summer with Robinson coming in. He had a bad fumble and I know they want him to clean that up but Robinson is very very avg back. Probably worst to come out of Bama in awhile. Think he is more a goal line and short yardage guy. Take some pounding off Gibson because he is always getting nicked up. Gibson is one of Washingtons few play makers. Get him in space and he makes things happen. Kinda why I think he was sent to kickoff duty…they want big plays from him. Don’t get me wrong…I’ve got no shares of the Washington backfield but that is mostly because Wentz won’t check down more so then I hate either back.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dgambill said:

Brissett is going to put a lot of pressure on them early I think but I agree. I wanted the Colts because I think we have a week conference and our bye is late so I wouldn’t have to drop it for awhile.

Ground game for Cleveland, and strong o-line will shorten the game for them, keeping the score down.  I habitually change defenses a lot anyway so I was comfortable waiting until last round.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, dgambill said:

I had so many guys go 1 or 2 picks before me it was crazy. I’m not just talking guys up next in adp…but guys 15-20 positions down. I do wish we had like 2 more bench positions. Such short benches I don’t even bother to handcuff because the wire is loaded with guys.

I don't think the wire is that loaded.  With having 2 more teams than my other league, it is more sparse than I am used to.  If we had 2 more bench spots, there would really be no one left.

12 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Ground game for Cleveland, and strong o-line will shorten the game for them, keeping the score down.  I habitually change defenses a lot anyway so I was comfortable waiting until last round.

I have about 3-4 defenses I'm targeting for first couple of weeks. Colts, Browns, Ravens, Broncos....after that I'll be streaming whoever plays the Jets, Giants, Falcons, Seahawks...couple others as well. 

Between my two HSN leagues, I am truly unhappy with only one starting slot.  That's Josh Jacobs as RB2 on my Champions team league.  That was supposed to be James Conner, but when Mark Andrews fell to me in the 3rd round, I couldn't pass that up.  

I tried to compensate for Jacobs by taking Singleterry and James Cook back to back later in the draft.  My hope is one of them steps up and becomes the lead back in the Buffalo running game.

One other thing I am a little concerned about is that across both teams I have no shares of the Chiefs, Chargers, Bengals, Buccaneers, or 49ers.  That's a lot of firepower I will potentially miss out on.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Between my two HSN leagues, I am truly unhappy with only one starting slot.  That's Josh Jacobs as RB2 on my Champions team league.  That was supposed to be James Conner, but when Mark Andrews fell to me in the 3rd round, I couldn't pass that up.  

I tried to compensate for Jacobs by taking Singleterry and James Cook back to back later in the draft.  My hope is one of them steps up and becomes the lead back in the Buffalo running game.

One other thing I am a little concerned about is that across both teams I have no shares of the Chiefs, Chargers, Bengals, Buccaneers, or 49ers.  That's a lot of firepower I will potentially miss out on.

Your thinking with the Buffalo RBs was my thinking with the Seattle RBs for a flex/second RB (figuring CMC will miss time at some point). And of course I have Gibson as a flex and his value at least for the first couple months is going to be up. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, iuswingman said:

I don't think the wire is that loaded.  With having 2 more teams than my other league, it is more sparse than I am used to.  If we had 2 more bench spots, there would really be no one left.

Well this league also has fewer starters…most leagues have 3 wr and 2 flex and sometime a 2nd qb. So more spots are needed. To me if you are going to handcuff then you basically have no bench for the bye weeks. You have only 5 bench spots. I backup te, 1 back up qb, leaving 3 spots. If you handcuff both your running backs then you only have 1 bench spot. If you handcuff then both those guys are out on their bye…so you really start to struggle to have a back up. This isn’t to say if you want to carry a second defense. So yeah it makes very hard to decide if you are going to handcuff or not. Some guys I just wouldn’t do it…as their backup I don’t think will be good enough to bring value….while some have an injury history and a quality backup that I wouldn’t draft without like Zeke and Pollard or Cooks and Mattison or Akers and Henderson. So anyways to me handcuffing is almost impossible in our league where as in other deeper leagues with more draft spots it’s an absolute.

13 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Well this league also has fewer starters…most leagues have 3 wr and 2 flex and sometime a 2nd qb. So more spots are needed. To me if you are going to handcuff then you basically have no bench for the bye weeks. You have only 5 bench spots. I backup te, 1 back up qb, leaving 3 spots. If you handcuff both your running backs then you only have 1 bench spot. If you handcuff then both those guys are out on their bye…so you really start to struggle to have a back up. This isn’t to say if you want to carry a second defense. So yeah it makes very hard to decide if you are going to handcuff or not. Some guys I just wouldn’t do it…as their backup I don’t think will be good enough to bring value….while some have an injury history and a quality backup that I wouldn’t draft without like Zeke and Pollard or Cooks and Mattison or Akers and Henderson. So anyways to me handcuffing is almost impossible in our league where as in other deeper leagues with more draft spots it’s an absolute.

I personally like our bench size.  It adds an extra layer of difficulty in managing your roster.  I approach it with an understanding that I am going to stream defense, so no need for a 2nd one. 

As far as QB and Tight-End, I make sure my starters at those positions have different bye weeks.  It allows me to only use one bench spot to effectively cover two positions.  Even then, I will start the season with neither on my bench and pick up the first as needed when byes hit, or when a spot opens up via someone going to IR.

There are some thing s I dont particularly like about our league setup (bonus points for yardage thresholds), but bench size is one of the things I like the most.

Not wanting to play musical tight-ends played into my decision to deviate from plan and draft Andrews instead of Conner in the Champions draft.  Yes, it made me weaker at RB, but I'm going to carry RB's on my bench regardless.  As it stands now, by drafting Andrew's, the only week I'll have 2 tight ends on the roster is Week 10.

All that said, I missed the playoffs last year, so what do I know.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, dgambill said:

My other league has the same number of starters (has a 3rd WR instead of the W/R/T).  I don't think multiple QB spots or multiple flex spots are the default unless that has changed.   Been a while since I created a league.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I personally like our bench size.  It adds an extra layer of difficulty in managing your roster.  I approach it with an understanding that I am going to stream defense, so no need for a 2nd one. 

As far as QB and Tight-End, I make sure my starters at those positions have different bye weeks.  It allows me to only use one bench spot to effectively cover two positions.  Even then, I will start the season with neither on my bench and pick up the first as needed when byes hit, or when a spot opens up via someone going to IR.

There are some thing s I dont particularly like about our league setup (bonus points for yardage thresholds), but bench size is one of the things I like the most.

Not wanting to play musical tight-ends played into my decision to deviate from plan and draft Andrews instead of Conner in the Champions draft.  Yes, it made me weaker at RB, but I'm going to carry RB's on my bench regardless.  As it stands now, by drafting Andrew's, the only week I'll have 2 tight ends on the roster is Week 10.

All that said, I missed the playoffs last year, so what do I know.

Yeah agreed…it is definitely more challenging and that is fine for sure. It comes down to preference on how to manage rosters. One way makes the draft more critical as you make more decisions on draft day with fewer waiver transactions and the other the wire will be much more active. I like having the bigger bench because it allows me to mine for some gems and later in the season flip them for more help in other areas. I feel like deeper benches spur more trades because people can’t just go out on the wire and find a replacement. But I know lots of people like it the other way so that’s fine. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

My other league has the same number of starters (has a 3rd WR instead of the W/R/T).  I don't think multiple QB spots or multiple flex spots are the default unless that has changed.   Been a while since I created a league.

Yahoo that is default yep. Most my other leagues are custom so they allow for more customization of slots. I’m not meaning to complain…just it made draft certainly more challenging…and nothing wrong with that.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yeah agreed…it is definitely more challenging and that is fine for sure. It comes down to preference on how to manage rosters. One way makes the draft more critical as you make more decisions on draft day with fewer waiver transactions and the other the wire will be much more active. I like having the bigger bench because it allows me to mine for some gems and later in the season flip them for more help in other areas. I feel like deeper benches spur more trades because people can’t just go out on the wire and find a replacement. But I know lots of people like it the other way so that’s fine. 

I didn't draft a kicker, so I'll be tossing a 'gem' back into the waiver pile even before the season starts.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

I'm in a league this year that starts 2 QBs, 3 WRs, and 6 IDPs on top of 2RBs, TE, K, and Flex.  16 starting spots with a 26 man roster.  

It's only 10 teams compared to 12 in the HSN league.  And, it has 10 bench spots.  As strange as it seems, if you take away the defense from both, which would include utilizing 3 of the 10 bench spots for defense,  since one is 12 team league and the other 10, there is only a 14 man difference in the commitment to offensive players.  And almost all if that is accounted for by players needing to carry 3 QBs to cover byes.

HSN:  168-12 for defense = 156 offensive players drafted.

2QB, 3WR league: 260-90 for defense = 170 offensive players.

Take the 170 and subtract out the 10 extra QBs required to carry 3 and it comes to 160.  

So, effectively only a 4 player difference in bench spots.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I made the decision that when all else being equal....get the AFC West. Problem is that's been my strategy for years. 

If you only have 1 starting slot that causes you concern that's a good start. The draft is your core....but I've won plenty of leagues just picking up the waiver wire scraps that will undoubtedly happen by week 3-4 again as it always does. One of Zeke, Cook, CMC, Barkley....maybe even Fournette this year will go down and someone will hit the lottery after pick 70 or so. 

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I made the decision that when all else being equal....get the AFC West. Problem is that's been my strategy for years. 

If you only have 1 starting slot that causes you concern that's a good start. The draft is your core....but I've won plenty of leagues just picking up the waiver wire scraps that will undoubtedly happen by week 3-4 again as it always does. One of Zeke, Cook, CMC, Barkley....maybe even Fournette this year will go down and someone will hit the lottery after pick 70 or so. 

I have Barkley.  Please leave him out of such discussions.  😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I know the Dolphins create us headaches but they just released Sony Michel....which means they are really liking Chase Edmonds.

I have no clue why he's being drafted so late but if he's there in the early 5th this week get him. Currently rated in late 5th/early 6th for PPR. Especially for those of us who like to secure WR/TE/WR/QB in first 4. He could be a Rhamondre Stevenson or Hines type if not better.....especially for PPR.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I didn't draft a kicker, so I'll be tossing a 'gem' back into the waiver pile even before the season starts.

Yep…lots of ways to manage things. Never know if someone gets hurt before week 1 and you can stash them on your IR and still pick up your kicker. Definitely strategic and being judicious with who you roster. I have some guys I’d like to roster because I think they will break out later in the season but no way I can afford to do it now. It will just come down to if I can beat peoples to the wire when the time comes. Definitely on my watch list.

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I know the Dolphins create us headaches but they just released Sony Michel....which means they are really liking Chase Edmonds.

I have no clue why he's being drafted so late but if he's there in the early 5th this week get him. Currently rated in late 5th/early 6th for PPR. Especially for those of us who like to secure WR/TE/WR/QB in first 4. He could be a Rhamondre Stevenson or Hines type if not better.....especially for PPR.

Agree about PPR. I think he is a value where he is going.  I think most worry about his slight build that will he get the goal line carries and will his body handle the volume between the tackles. Obviously the Dolphins feel confident in him if they are letting Michel walk. Everyone wants that 3 down back but there just aren’t that many left.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Figured you might like the Bengals stack action I have in our league. Burrow, Higgins, and Hurst. Don't think I have Burrow or Higgins anywhere else. How good do you think Hurst will be this year? I love him late in best ball drafts.

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

25 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Agree about PPR. I think he is a value where he is going.  I think most worry about his slight build that will he get the goal line carries and will his body handle the volume between the tackles. Obviously the Dolphins feel confident in him if they are letting Michel walk. Everyone wants that 3 down back but there just aren’t that many left.

Will be interesting to see where Michel goes.  Backup for Barkley in NY?  Or, does he go somewhere like Atlanta seeking a bigger role?  Is KC unrealistic?