2024 Asa Newell Commits to Georgia

gnet550

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations to Asa!  He made the National Honor Society at Montverde in Florida.

No inside info, but I read IU is doing well in this recruitment.  Not saying we do or don't lead, but at least doing well.  More than just a name on his list.

6'9" 200 lbs. 

Ranked #8 in the country overall, and the top forward.  One site lists him as 6' 10".

image.png.a23074cca414cbb29f4a86ae30d471aa.png

Edited by Madison22
  • Like 9

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

Yasir is the lead recruiter for Asa. From our recent commitments, one would think we have a great shot at landing him. Ya and other assistants have been on 🔥

Totally agree. We are getting JHS a first round draft… now we develop MM and Ware and get them lottery/first round AND people keep talking to Carmelo like MM did and not only will Carmelo’s son commit but we will be getting BIG FISH for as long as this coaching staff stays in tact. You and I have both said it multiple times but you have to give coach Ya whatever he wants so he doesn’t go take a lower level D1/mid major coaching job. I think it helps Woody have him a chance when others wouldn’t so that loyalty/belief will also help IMO.

• Like 1

I think Asa and Liam McNeeley are my two favorites for 2024.  Several others right there but in addition to being uber-talented, Asa is a National Honor Society inductee.  This is not a kid you'll see flashing firearms on instagram or that kind of thing.  When looking at two very talented kids, I'll always choose the smart kid who's behaving.  I'm betting this young man is at the top of Coach Woodson's list for 2024.

• Like 6

47 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I think Asa and Liam McNeeley are my two favorites for 2024.  Several others right there but in addition to being uber-talented, Asa is a National Honor Society inductee.  This is not a kid you'll see flashing firearms on instagram or that kind of thing.  When looking at two very talented kids, I'll always choose the smart kid who's behaving.  I'm betting this young man is at the top of Coach Woodson's list for 2024.

Been a long time since we have been really in the hunt for the top kids. NIL helps tremendously, but Coach Woodson's NBA pedigree is the closer. We may be on the cusp of something very good.

• Like 6

My biggest concern with this recruitment is Reneau. He’s not projected to be a first round/early second round pick for next year so I would assume he would stay for his Junior season. 

It’s clear the staff would love to have both Asa and Liam but I struggle with figuring out how they utilize Reneau in this picture. He’s too good to not have major minutes, and I don’t see the staff pushing him to play the 5 when we’re looking at guys like Flory and trying to get Reneau to the league. 

Missing out on one of them obviously makes this a non issue. A good problem to have nonetheless haha. 

51 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

My biggest concern with this recruitment is Reneau. He’s not projected to be a first round/early second round pick for next year so I would assume he would stay for his Junior season. 

It’s clear the staff would love to have both Asa and Liam but I struggle with figuring out how they utilize Reneau in this picture. He’s too good to not have major minutes, and I don’t see the staff pushing him to play the 5 when we’re looking at guys like Flory and trying to get Reneau to the league. 

Missing out on one of them obviously makes this a non issue. A good problem to have nonetheless haha. 

So you think all three play the same spot. From my understanding asa and Liam are 3-4 types.  Reneau is a 4-5. I’m not worried at all about Malik. If anything I’d assume we don’t get Asa and Liam. One or the other is my guess. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Victobmyboy said:

So you think all three play the same spot. From my understanding asa and Liam are 3-4 types.  Reneau is a 4-5. I’m not worried at all about Malik. If anything I’d assume we don’t get Asa and Liam. One or the other is my guess. 

Sorry, to clarify, I think they all play different roles in my opinon:

Reneau: 5/4 (mostly a 4)

Asa: 4/3 (mostly a 4)

Liam: 3

My concern is those 3 are talented enough to start, but I just don’t think after playing this season at the 4 that they would move Reneau to the 5. He’s not trying to be an NBA center. So then becomes the question off is it a good look to have any of these guys come off the bench when we’re trying to get them to the league and recruit future Montverde stars. 

Reneau can/will play the 5 in the future. His game is polar opposite of the other two.

I'd say Reneau's use will be much like TJD's, with less explosiveness, but more of a jump shot... forcing big guys to guard him away from the basket.

All three could easily play a large amount of minutes on the same team.

• Like 1