USC and UCLA to the Big Ten ?

4 hours ago, BGleas said:

I think one way to maybe mitigate this, beyond money, is to have these games right after the season ends, as opposed to currently where there can be as long as 5-6 weeks between the end of the season and bowl games. 

Other than the playoffs, I've kind of moved on from college football by the time we get to the bowls. I get that it's about money and eyeballs during the holiday season, but beyond that waiting 4-6 weeks for these games make no sense. 

I think you'd keep some guys playing if the games meant something and were right away. With the current layoff, many of these guys have just moved on to draft prep already. 

That's a valid point. I'm against the big 30 teams with relegation,  but having those games during a college playoff could create relevance.  It also gives people another opportunity to create brackets to bet on with their friends/co-workers; that is a BIG motivation. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rico said:

They are so screwed. Drastic cuts for sure. I don’t see a way out for them. They don’t have the following to secure a deal like ND to go independent and no major conference is going to take them in. Gotta hope having a merger with the MWC under a new PAC12 name would allow for a renewed contract and try to figure out how to make the PAC12 channel more profitable. In searching for a bigger and more perfect deal the last ones to get off the merry go round was bound to get left out in the cold. ACC would do well with this lesson. If they vote to tear up their grant of rights schools like Wake, Duke, Boston College, Syracuse, Louisville, and some others will get left out in the cold and take a huge loss. 25 million a year even if more than half what SEC and B1G schools get is still 3-4 times what they would get in another conference or if they tried to renegotiate.

On 8/14/2023 at 2:30 PM, Steubenhoosier said:

Since this is/has become, all about money, I think some "creative" NIL incentives could be put in place to discourage guys from sitting out the post-season games

I hope other teams start doing that, it would open the door for us to tell players we won't penalize them for putting their long-term career over a short-term, meaningless game. 

16 hours ago, dgambill said:

They are so screwed. Drastic cuts for sure. I don’t see a way out for them. They don’t have the following to secure a deal like ND to go independent and no major conference is going to take them in. Gotta hope having a merger with the MWC under a new PAC12 name would allow for a renewed contract and try to figure out how to make the PAC12 channel more profitable. In searching for a bigger and more perfect deal the last ones to get off the merry go round was bound to get left out in the cold. ACC would do well with this lesson. If they vote to tear up their grant of rights schools like Wake, Duke, Boston College, Syracuse, Louisville, and some others will get left out in the cold and take a huge loss. 25 million a year even if more than half what SEC and B1G schools get is still 3-4 times what they would get in another conference or if they tried to renegotiate.

Oh, I am sure the ACC is watching the PAC situation with high interest.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rico said:

The PAC has to do something. They need 8 schools to survive according to the NCAA's "definition.  SMU would be a good fit.  Rice?  Memphis?  USF?  Tulane?

Depends on their media deal but yeah in theory you cobble together whatever you can get. San Diego St has to probably be the school they start with as far as media value…then Texas schools SMU & Rice…then to Florida with USF, finally Memphis and Tulane.

That gets you to PAC-10 again. (Could add schools like Boise St, Fresno St, UNLV, FL Atlantic? as travel partner)

Basically take the best of AAC and MWC. Could even switch it up for non-football sports dropping some and adding say Gonzaga etc for basketball or non-revenue. Be interesting but if they can get 10+ million per school I think you have to look at it.

2 hours ago, Purdue7 said:

Presidents wanted to add Stanford & Cal

Fox tv said no thanks 

greedy players will ruin amateur sports 

Greedy players? It's the greedy TV execs. Conference Commissioners and NCAA. 

If anything, the adults in the room are the problem. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

The system is broken…hopefully some leadership steps up and makes some decisions for the greater good and not what’s good for a greater bottom line.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BGleas said:

💯 

AAU fought to keep athletes poor for 90 years 1888-1978

NCAA spent millions fighting in court to keep all the 💰 

see Prefontaine & Thorp for AAU

Heard the other ACC schools are leaning hard on North Carolina and State to flip their vote for yes to SMU, Stanford, and Cal. More schools to vote no to end the grant of rights and help hold the conference together in case Florida St and Clemson tries to bolt. If a vote happens then they will get added…as the last one was an unofficial vote.

• Like 2

On 8/22/2023 at 1:58 PM, dgambill said:

Heard the other ACC schools are leaning hard on North Carolina and State to flip their vote for yes to SMU, Stanford, and Cal. More schools to vote no to end the grant of rights and help hold the conference together in case Florida St and Clemson tries to bolt. If a vote happens then they will get added…as the last one was an unofficial vote.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/acc-expansion-conference-renews-discussions-to-add-stanford-california-smu-at-reduced-price-per-reports/

53 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Greed ruins everything.  No matter what or who it is. 

When coaches & bowl game fat cats get millions it’s hard to deny the players a share 

Now NIL is trickling down to HS & every university is whoring out on the street 

most of these schools are pro sports teams….most of the fans never graduated or attended 

• Like 1