USC and UCLA to the Big Ten ?

19 hours ago, rico said:

And most people don't like change.

If it wasn't the B1G being aggressive, then another conference would and we would be complaining about the leadership being complacent jeopardizing the conference's future.  What the B1G did was nothing short of brilliant and forward thinking regardless of how you feel.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, IUALUM03 said:

If it wasn't the B1G being aggressive, then another conference would and we would be complaining about the leadership being complacent jeopardizing the conference's future.  What the B1G did was nothing short of brilliant and forward thinking regardless of how you feel.  

BINGO

• Like 3

We can wrap it up and put a pretty bow on it, but there is no way on earth that this is good for non-revenue sports.

Laugh at me all you want, but I would not be surprised at all if 50 years from now that college sports conferences are migrating back to a more regional structure.

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

We can wrap it up and put a pretty bow on it, but there is no way on earth that this is good for non-revenue sports.

Laugh at me all you want, but I would not be surprised at all if 50 years from now that college sports conferences are migrating back to a more regional structure.

Well.. more money for football is absolutely a great thing for non-revenue sports. I mean, football literally funds those programs...

B1G baseball, I think, is going to go to 10 weekends of conference play, from 8... so, instead of traveling to San Diego, Texas, Auburn, Clemson, Troy, etc.... they will spend an extra weekend or two on the west coast playing very good competition in Oregon, Wash, USC, UCLA. 

I find most of the takes on conference realignment to be dramatic, and a fair amount of them unrealistic. No one is not watching college sports now because of conference realignment, in fact... the product could never be better in terms of viewership. 

The "extended" travel, and the complaints about it, is getting widely overblown, as well. 

Arizona State's average flight was extended by like 20-30mins. Big whoop. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

My problem is who does this help?

This pile of money is just to redo football locker rooms every 5 years 

All money must be wasted/spent or you’d have money for players 

how does this help the university do it’s job of educating students? 

In a respectful way, this question is a waste of time. I could give you plenty of examples, that aren't sports related, that pretty well shows universities have ONE thing in mind when they see students. 

$$$$$$$$$$$$ 

But, I am all for looking into "football only" conferences, etc. 

There is just absolutely nothing in me that can feel any sort of "sorry" for a non-revenue sport athlete that has to travel a couple extra miles to play a sport. Like... sorry? That's some first-world problems. 

I'd take that life 100/100. If some don't like it? Then don't play. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Well.. more money for football is absolutely a great thing for non-revenue sports. I mean, football literally funds those programs...

B1G baseball, I think, is going to go to 10 weekends of conference play, from 8... so, instead of traveling to San Diego, Texas, Auburn, Clemson, Troy, etc.... they will spend an extra weekend or two on the west coast playing very good competition in Oregon, Wash, USC, UCLA. 

I find most of the takes on conference realignment to be dramatic, and a fair amount of them unrealistic. No one is not watching college sports now because of conference realignment, in fact... the product could never be better in terms of viewership. 

The "extended" travel, and the complaints about it, is getting widely overblown, as well. 

Regarding the extended travel and non-revenue sports… wouldn’t this increased revenue allow the athletic department to spend more and give non-revenue sports improved travel options? I see lots of complaints about soccer, volleyball, etc. teams having long trips on buses and how this would only add onto that. But if these schools in “super conferences” now are getting tens more millions of dollars than they were before, why wouldn’t they be able to afford to spend a little bit more on travel amenities for all their athletes? We all know the schools are trying to make as much money as possible, but I don’t know why this wouldn’t be a possible solution.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

In 50 years, travel won't be an issue

image.png.71853f40e56df8a51f23bf391df8a12f.png

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

But, I am all for looking into "football only" conferences, etc. 

There is just absolutely nothing in me that can feel any sort of "sorry" for a non-revenue sport athlete that has to travel a couple extra miles to play a sport. Like... sorry? That's some first-world problems. 

I'd take that life 100/100. If some don't like it? Then don't play. 

I remember in non-revenue sports we traveled all over the Midwest. No planes we drove. Even competed against a couple of Canadian teams. We did it because we loved our sport and loved competing.

8 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

I remember in non-revenue sports we traveled all over the Midwest. No planes we drove. Even competed against a couple of Canadian teams. We did it because we loved our sport and loved competing.

Agree. Looking back at most of my great memories from my playing days (high school, lower level college) were from the road trips, experiences with my team. Even more so than the games.

Yeah, there are challenges. Especially with academics. But it's still a good life at that age. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Well, I'll be dead and gone in 50 years.  All I ask of you young'ens is that when conference unalignment happens in the future, you look back and think to yourself "That 5fouls guy was a pretty smart feller".

_

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Well, I'll be dead and gone in 50 years.  All I ask of you young'ens is that when conference unalignment happens in the future, you look back and think to yourself "That 5fouls guy was a pretty smart feller".

_

I didn't necessarily disagree with that part. I can see a route where we have some divisions that are geography-based moving forward (or in the future) for sure. 

It was just the "conference realignment is auto-ruining college sports" part that I didn't agree with. Which, was more of a general disagreement, rather than just with your post.  

56 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

In 50 years, travel won't be an issue

image.png.71853f40e56df8a51f23bf391df8a12f.png

IU Transporter Operator:"I'm sorry that the lower part of Zach Edey Jr's legs didn't make it through the Transporter, Coach Painter. You're just gonna have to make due" 

Edited by IUFLA

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

So I assume during game threads you won't complain at all about the players or coaches. Since we can't undo what has happened then we shouldn't say anything.

A game thread is a tad different than conference realignment.  Of course you seem to make everything a game thread.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, rico said:

A game thread is a tad different than conference realignment.  Of course you seem to make everything a game thread.

I am saying even though I can't change what happens,  I don't have to accept everything. If I don't like it and think it makes the product less appealing to me then I will voice that concern.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I am saying even though I can't change what happens,  I don't have to accept everything. If I don't like it and think it makes the product less appealing to me then I will voice that concern.

And you voice that concern ad nauseam.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUALUM03 said:

BINGO +2