USC and UCLA to the Big Ten ?

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Watching the Pac 12 implode is something. They had decades to fix this and now their all being left behind. Schools like Washington St, Oregon St...all left behind without a chair left. 

I feel like their issue was Pacific Time.  It didn't mesh with the rest of the country, like Eastern and Central time do to get views.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, IUALUM03 said:

I feel like their issue was Pacific Time.  It didn't mesh with the rest of the country, like Eastern and Central time do to get views.

I just started to post this same thought. No Alum on the east coast is watching 11pm starts.

Edited by Indykev

Hope to see Cal, Stanford join. I always liked the late football games on saturday night from the PAc-12.  So those games would continue with some big ten flavor. Nice. Apparently,  USC and maybe UCLA didn't want more West coast teams added because they don't want competition from the West coast schools recruiting in LA.

14 minutes ago, IUALUM03 said:

Which is why one of the greatest marketing opportunities was missed.

I have family that lives in Washington (Bellevue) and California (Santa Barbara). All are Pac 12 honks. Have been saying for years literally since 2007 that the Pac 12 needed to get creative and the one idea had way back was Friday Night Football brought to you by Apple.

When the skies turn dark here in the East/Midwest in October you could flip your tube on to sunsets, mountains, oceans,etc.....and people would watch. No competition on Friday and they messed up. Just one of many ways they could have marketed the conference.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

This puts enormous pressure on NW, IU, PU, IL, Rutgers and MD. The B1G is becoming a football superconference. Being bad programs that struggle to generate revenue won’t be attractive. The power teams will get tired of equally sharing revenue with the weak programs 

Somebody has to lose.

• Like 1

I know this is all done with football in mind, but thinking about basketball for a moment, I have a feeling this current round of realignment will be what eventually leads to tournament expansion. Mega conferences are going to lead the charge to increase the size of the field due to larger conference sizes.

I don’t know that it will be a huge expansion. Maybe something like going to 72. They could have four 16 seed play ins and four 12 seed play ins instead of the two of each they have now. I’m not hoping for expansion, but just thinking out loud where the current expansion may lead. 

Also, with Oregon and Washington coming next year, I assume the B18 will have to go back to the drawing board on that new football scheduling format they were so proud of. 

50 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

This puts enormous pressure on NW, IU, PU, IL, Rutgers and MD. The B1G is becoming a football superconference. Being bad programs that struggle to generate revenue won’t be attractive. The power teams will get tired of equally sharing revenue with the weak programs 

I think within 10 years the top 20-40 top revenue football programs will form their own league and leave the NCAA. They will make players employees and pay them directly.  The rest of the programs including IU will have to find other alternatives.

College Football has totally ruined college sports for the rest of the sports.  I am a basketball first guy so I am more worried how this is effecting college basketball. Just let football do what they want and leave the rest of the sports alone and go back to what was successful in the past.

Just now, Parakeet Jones said:

I know this is all done with football in mind, but thinking about basketball for a moment, I have a feeling this current round of realignment will be what eventually leads to tournament expansion. Mega conferences are going to lead the charge to increase the size of the field due to larger conference sizes.

I don’t know that it will be a huge expansion. Maybe something like going to 72. They could have four 16 seed play ins and four 12 seed play ins instead of the two of each they have now. I’m not hoping for expansion, but just thinking out loud where the current expansion may lead. 

Also, with Oregon and Washington coming next year, I assume the B18 will have to go back to the drawing board on that new football scheduling format they were so proud of. 

I am wondering how they will do our conference tournament with 20 teams as well. They will have to shorten the regular season to get the conference tournament before the NCAA tournament 

54 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Largest Alumni Bases in country

10) Purdue

8  ) Rutgers

2) Indiana

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am wondering how they will do our conference tournament with 20 teams as well. They will have to shorten the regular season to get the conference tournament before the NCAA tournament 

Why?  Who says all 20 teams will be playing in the CT?  

1 minute ago, rico said:

Why?  Who says all 20 teams will be playing in the CT?  

It is only fair to give everyone a shot to get into the tournament. You have said let everyone in the tournament and my response they already are with the conference tournament.  I think the Ivy league is the only conference not to have every team in their tournament.

I envision that when APRs start to plummet due to athletes being out of the classroom due to excessive travel time that the sham that is being positioned as the “student athlete “ will no longer exist. I can see multiple teams becoming ineligible for tournament play due to not meeting the grade requirements. That will end when it happens the first time and players will become employees who have the option of going to class or not.

44 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

There are so many byes in that tournament right now, all you have to do is plug teams into earlier rounds where currently they don't have to play.