USC and UCLA to the Big Ten ?

On 4/16/2023 at 3:11 PM, dgambill said:

Florida and Florida St pull viewers in every part of the state…including Miami….the Hurricanes only draw the Miami market primarily. Don’t get me wrong Miami has around 1.5 million viewers on avg but Florida St avgs about a million more. If you want a program to draw viewership between the two it isn’t close…Florida St would draw way more eyes and get in way more recruits homes. I also think it would be more beneficial for Florida St as well. They would be the only Florida team in the B1G and could differentiate themselves from the other two in-state schools and probably would become the favorite to win the new Atlantic Division in the B1G instead of fighting it out with Florida and Georgia and probably Clemson in the SEC. I’d be very happy to add them. 

As far as Georgia Tech?? Heck they pull Purdue viewership….same as Virginia. I know there is more than viewership involved but I’d be targeting FSU, VT, NC, Duke in the ACC and Stanford, Washington, and Oregon…then dare ND to not join. Like UCLA and USC I feel NC and Duke are a pair and there is value outside of just football with Duke…besides IU needs a football win somewhere. We need to up the focus across all sports not just football and Duke will help change the play style in Basketball and recruiting nationally. Also I don’t want another Purdue/Wisconsin clone in Virginia in the league selfishly lol.

You don’t need viewers. You just need the B1G network to be moved from premium to standard channels lineup. So you want as many viewers buying cable/streaming services as you can. (See Rutgers/Maryland)They still pay for the subscription and don’t have to watch. That’s why the B1G is winning. They go after markets. Clemson is a big brand in a shit market. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Victobmyboy said:

You don’t need viewers. You just need the B1G network to be moved from premium to standard channels lineup. So you want as many viewers buying cable/streaming services as you can. (See Rutgers/Maryland)They still pay for the subscription and don’t have to watch. That’s why the B1G is winning. They go after markets. Clemson is a big brand in a shit market. 

Right.  I've said on here for years.  Grow the balls to go and poach a team from the sec.  Forget Georgia Tech.  Get real Georgia.  Forget Miami, get Florida.   And whey in the world did we let Texas walk?  Counter punch.  Go get A&M while they are still pissed.  

9 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Right.  I've said on here for years.  Grow the balls to go and poach a team from the sec.  Forget Georgia Tech.  Get real Georgia.  Forget Miami, get Florida.   And whey in the world did we let Texas walk?  Counter punch.  Go get A&M while they are still pissed.  

Because Oklahoma wasn’t an AAU school. Academics/research matter. Plus Oklahoma is a small market. Just wasn’t a fit. Hindsight might be 20/20 though. Texas would’ve fit nicely. I really doubt the B1G gets any SEC teams. Too much history. The B1G will get its research and market based schools. NC, VA, UNC, GT all make sense. Oregon, Stanford, Washington too. 

Edited by Victobmyboy

1 minute ago, Victobmyboy said:

Because Oklahoma wasn’t an AAU school. Academics/research matter. Plus Oklahoma is a small market. Just wasn’t a fit. Hindsight might be 20/20 though. Texas would’ve fit nicely. I really doubt the B1G gets any SEC teams. Too much history. The B1G will get its research and market based schools. 

Does Texas really care about bringing Oklahoma as a package deal?  Wonder if we even tried.  Either way.  Texas is a big enough haul, if they wanted to bring utep with them you say, welcome to the B1G.  

18 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Does Texas really care about bringing Oklahoma as a package deal?  Wonder if we even tried.  Either way.  Texas is a big enough haul, if they wanted to bring utep with them you say, welcome to the B1G.  

Yes. It was a package deal. That’s why Texas isn’t in the B1G. Remember they have to be worth it. The B1G wants AAU/research too. Utep doesn’t have any of those things. So it’s markets and AAU. 

Edited by Victobmyboy

4 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Every school in the B1G is a member of the AAU(Association of American Universities) except Nebraska.  And Nebraska was a member when they joined but has since lost their accreditation.  

https://www.aau.edu/who-we-are/our-members

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rico said:

Every school in the B1G is a member of the AAU(Association of American Universities) except Nebraska.  And Nebraska was a member when they joined but has since lost their accreditation.  

https://www.aau.edu/who-we-are/our-members

I'm aware.  

If our current deal pays 100 vs secs 70 thats a 300 million dollar difference over the next 10 years.  swoopimg A&M and Florida would be a bigger play than Texas and Oklahoma.   If greed is the driver then let greed be the reason to pull them out.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

I'm aware.  

If our current deal pays 100 vs secs 70 thats a 300 million dollar difference over the next 10 years.  swoopimg A&M and Florida would be a bigger play than Texas and Oklahoma.   If greed is the driver then let greed be the reason to pull them out.  

I would surmise that the B1G is looking at 3 things.  (1)  AAU status, (2)  TV market, and (3) name brand.  According to adding Rutgers the brand can be overlooked.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

I'm aware.  

Texas A&M and Florida in a heart beat and fit the BIG 10 culture.   UT doesn't play nice in any conference they are part of.  They'll be a major headache for the SEC.  Pull in UW and Oregon.  ACC schools are a longer term play with their Grant of Rights situation.  IMO Notre Dame will eventually wither on the vine.  

• Like 1

I am by no means one of these click-bait sports writers that theorize with speculation.  But I wonder if Notre Dame is just sitting back to see what happens with the ACC and PAC-12.  And then pouncing on the leftovers to form a new national conference with the Irish being the marquee brand.  You got to keep a close eye on those Golden Domers.

22 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

First time I've heard Utah mentioned. Interesting. They are a growing state. Not sure who would be a good pair for them. Not a fan of Duke joining. Assuming it is a condition for NC. NC and VA, or GA Tech is fine but I prefer no Duke

Edited by Reacher
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Reacher said:

First time I've heard Utah mentioned. Interesting. They are a growing state. Not sure who would be a good pair for them. Not a fan of Duke joining. Assuming it is a condition for NC. NC and VA, or GA Tech is fine but I prefer no Duke

I'm not sure any school can lay down conditions with all of the schools that are interested in the Big 10...Start trying to negotiate conditions and you'll wind up in the A-10 with Duke...

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I'm not sure any school can lay down conditions with all of the schools that are interested in the Big 10...Start trying to negotiate conditions and you'll wind up in the A-10 with Duke...

And I'm perfectly OK with NC and Duke in the A10. We can take GA Tech and VA. 

• Like 1