USC and UCLA to the Big Ten ?

41 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I would prefer to take both NC and Duke for basketball.  Iron sharpens iron.  And for football, we get a couple of easy wins.

Well, NC has been ranked in the top 20 in football on a fairly consistent basis, and has had top recruiting classes as well.

Duke has recently been to bowl games. 

I don't view either of these as easy wins for our football program.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I would prefer to take both NC and Duke for basketball.  Iron sharpens iron.  And for football, we get a couple of easy wins.

I do think they would end up with a few more losses in the big ten and agree with you on the football.  I just don't like Duke. 😁

Football will drive the bus on who the Big 10 picks up...According to the WSJ (and I know this is 5 years old but probably still pretty close) IU is the 44th most valuable program with revenue at $61 million plus, while UNC is 50th ($50 million), and Duke is 66th ($32 million)...it'll be dollars over on the field success... Washington, Stanford, Utah, Cal, and Georgia Tech all have more value in football than UNC or Duke

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Well, NC has been ranked in the top 20 in football on a fairly consistent basis, and has had top recruiting classes as well.

Duke has recently been to bowl games. 

I don't view either of these as easy wins for our football program.

I agree to an extent.  They have had some success but in a crap conference also.  They would be bottom feeders, but so is IU football most years, so maybe not an easy win. :D 

22 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Football will drive the bus on who the Big 10 picks up...According to the WSJ (and I know this is 5 years old but probably still pretty close) IU is the 44th most valuable program with revenue at $61 million plus, while UNC is 50th ($50 million), and Duke is 66th ($32 million)...it'll be dollars over on the field success... Washington, Stanford, Utah, Cal, and Georgia Tech all have more value in football than UNC or Duke

This has been stressed time and time again, but don't downplay the research dollars involved on the academic side.  That is why academic schools like Stanford, Duke, John Hopkins (B1G) lacrosse are attractive beyond just their brand and football.  We are literally talking billions of dollars shared among research institutions, who often partner with other universities.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

Like it or not, that’s where it’s headed.

It looks that way.  If that is the case, our final 6 additions to get to 20 are VERY strong football programs with big budgets and fan followings.  Not much the SEC could do to counter. Looks like the Big12 will survive, and the ACC and Pac12 will be left in shambles.

If this is true, (I haven’t seen it reported anywhere else) I hate it for the fans of those conferences, but that’s the reality of college sports in today’s world. My son played baseball at Clemson, so we’ve been big fans of the Tigers for several years now, and would welcome them to the B10. Can you imagine what it would do to the football landscape by adding those schools, especially Clemson and Oregon to go along with Ohio St, Michigan, Penn St and USC - move over SEC.

Edited by Hoosier4Life53

13 hours ago, IU Scott said:

If you like expansion and having 20 teams then yes it would be good for the big ten

I kind of feel like when it is all said and done, it might return closer to the original conferences than one might think.  This is all about content and viewers, so what is to say that there isn't a West Coast BIG sub group, Midwest, Northeast, etc., then those feed into league championships and some "interleague" play.  I don't think 20 is the number any longer, but something more around 26 - 30 with there also being sport specific members like John Hopkins is for lacrosse and academics.

Think more in the terms of consolidation versus relalignment.

Edited by IUALUM03
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

This would be fantastic. Especially for sports that aren't football, basketball. 

I still want Stanford and Notre Dame, but this may create a more attractive conference for at least ND to join, since it will cover all of the geographic regions in the US and allow ND to be "National."

Edited by IUALUM03

36 minutes ago, IUALUM03 said:

I kind of feel like when it is all said and done, it might return closer to the original conferences than one might think.  This is all about content and viewers, so what is to say that there isn't a West Coast BIG sub group, Midwest, Northeast, etc., then those feed into league championships and some "interleague" play.  I don't think 20 is the number any longer, but something more around 26 - 30 with there also being sport specific members like John Hopkins is for lacrosse and academics.

Think more in the terms of consolidation versus relalignment.

To me a conference is about rivalries and geography and to me teams from Oregon and Florida shouldn't be in the same conference.  You would have to either have 5 4 team divisions or 4 5 team divisions. With that many teams you will never be able to play every team each year. If that is the case why have teams in the division.

I look at post seasons and wonder how they will determine who plays in the conference championship in football.

In basketball how will they form the conference tournament. How will that effect the schedule because you will need more than 5 days to complete the tournament. Will you have to take a week off of the regular season to fit in the conference tournament.

31 minutes ago, IUALUM03 said:

I still want Stanford and Notre Dame, but this may create a more attractive conference for at least ND to join, since it will cover all of the geographic regions in the US and allow ND to be "National."

Good article from June of this year about Notre Dame...

"The Fighting Irish have this season and next remaining on their current contract with NBC before that deal expires.

Until then, it is expected that Swarbrick and Bevacqua will work together to sign a new TV contract that will be competitive with the reported $75 million annual payout Big Ten schools are expected to receive by 2025, when Notre Dame’s next contract would begin. Notre Dame currently receives around $26 million annually from a combination of its TV revenue from NBC and its ACC agreement.

“Sources say the school should expect around $60 million per year from a new contract,” sports media reporter John Ourand said last year in the Sports Business Journal."

“I’m a fan of independence, for sure,” Bevacqua told SI last week. “It’s another element of what makes Notre Dame different. I think those differentiators for Notre Dame are more important and more valuable today than they’ve ever been.”

$15 nillion is a big chunk of change to be leaving on the table...And I think Notre Dame being in a conference with Michigan, Michigan State, OSU, USC, and possibly Stanford and Cal would draw huge TV ratings...

14 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Good article from June of this year about Notre Dame...

"The Fighting Irish have this season and next remaining on their current contract with NBC before that deal expires.

Until then, it is expected that Swarbrick and Bevacqua will work together to sign a new TV contract that will be competitive with the reported $75 million annual payout Big Ten schools are expected to receive by 2025, when Notre Dame’s next contract would begin. Notre Dame currently receives around $26 million annually from a combination of its TV revenue from NBC and its ACC agreement.

“Sources say the school should expect around $60 million per year from a new contract,” sports media reporter John Ourand said last year in the Sports Business Journal."

“I’m a fan of independence, for sure,” Bevacqua told SI last week. “It’s another element of what makes Notre Dame different. I think those differentiators for Notre Dame are more important and more valuable today than they’ve ever been.”

$15 nillion is a big chunk of change to be leaving on the table...And I think Notre Dame being in a conference with Michigan, Michigan State, OSU, USC, and possibly Stanford and Cal would draw huge TV ratings...

I think a lot of ND’s future is riding on how well Freeman does! If he turns out to be another “Oust Faust” they’re negotiating strength to remain independent goes down dramatically!

• Like 1

So to play around a bit, if the BIG added those 4 teams do we see 4 divisions that play games like the NFL for football?  It would be an interesting split.

USC, UCLA, Washington, Oregon, and Nebraska?

Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan St.

Illinois, Northwestern, Purdue, Indiana, Ohio State (too easy for Ohio St?)

FSU, Clemson, Penn St, Maryland, Rutgers

The 2 Illinois teams and the 2 Michigan teams were the hardest to place.  Tried to kind of regionalize and those 2 make it the hardest to balance.

14 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

So to play around a bit, if the BIG added those 4 teams do we see 4 divisions that play games like the NFL for football?  It would be an interesting split.

USC, UCLA, Washington, Oregon, and Nebraska?

Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan St.

Illinois, Northwestern, Purdue, Indiana, Ohio State (too easy for Ohio St?)

The 2 Illinois teams and the 2 Michigan teams were the hardest to place.  Tried to kind of regionalize and those 2 make it the hardest to balance.

I think you need to add a couple north-south lines to your west-east line.

Try: USC, UCLA, Washington, Oregon, and Iowa

Nebraska, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois and Northwestern

Michigan, Michigan St, Purdue, Indiana, Ohio State

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

I think you need to add a couple north-south lines to your west-east line.

Try: USC, UCLA, Washington, Oregon, and Iowa

Nebraska, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois and Northwestern

Michigan, Michigan St, Purdue, Indiana, Ohio State

So I had that initially set up (except swap Iowa and Nebraska) and then I thought that grouping for Indiana and Purdue was a death sentence.  Like you have to set up the divisions to give teams a chance.