USC and UCLA to the Big Ten ?

3 hours ago, rico said:

I racked my brain trying to figure out who is going to pony up the money for those ACC teams to bolt to any other conference.

ACC schools must pay an exit fee of over $100m to leave before 2036 and their new conference will not have their tv rights until then due to the ACC Grant of Rights contract. 

do we think the ACC is just going to be very generous to those who want out?

20 minutes ago, Milosh68 said:

I racked my brain trying to figure out who is going to pony up the money for those ACC teams to bolt to any other conference.

ACC schools must pay an exit fee of over $100m to leave before 2036 and their new conference will not have their tv rights until then due to the ACC Grant of Rights contract. 

do we think the ACC is just going to be very generous to those who want out?

Well if enough teams vote to end the agreement they can void it…but I’m not sure there is enough that will get pay days from the B1G and SEC. Plus that’s a horrible deal for the B1G….and I don’t think South Carolina and Florida want a second in-state school in their conference.

Edited by dgambill

No idea how accurate that story is. Makes sense to bring in Atlanta and FL. Get a toe hold in the southeast where there is a lot of growth. Every game at Miami would be a sellout due to retirees that are fans of the opponent.

I wonder if those teams would come in as full rights members? 

Would leave USC and UCLA out on an island. Kind of expected to add a couple teams out that way. Maybe that will be phase II? 

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

How much is enough when it comes to conference realignment. Might as well have everyone be independent and schedule who ever you want.  If you have teams from LA to New York and Minnesota to Miami how is that really a conference.

It's a brand. $$$

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Well if enough teams vote to end the agreement they can void it…but I’m not sure there is enough that will get pay days from the B1G and SEC. Plus that’s a horrible deal for the B1G….and I don’t think South Carolina and Florida want a second in-state school in their conference.

A&M didn’t want Texas in the SEC…

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Milosh68 said:

A&M didn’t want Texas in the SEC…

There is no Texas in the ACC. Not even close nor does A&M have to power of say a Florida. Don’t get me wrong if the B1G pulls a power play perhaps the SEC would take those schools but I still see the ACC having issues getting the votes to disband. Too many schools like Duke, Syracuse, Louisville, NC State, Pitt etc getting left out.

3 hours ago, Reacher said:

No idea how accurate that story is. Makes sense to bring in Atlanta and FL. Get a toe hold in the southeast where there is a lot of growth. Every game at Miami would be a sellout due to retirees that are fans of the opponent.

I wonder if those teams would come in as full rights members? 

Would leave USC and UCLA out on an island. Kind of expected to add a couple teams out that way. Maybe that will be phase II? 

Rather have FSU….they pull in a much bigger market than Miami…they are closer on par with Florida when it comes to statewide audience and fanbase. I’m also not a fan of bringing in Georgia Tech….even if it’s in the Atlanta market nobody cares…it’s like Northwestern…it might be in Chicago but they still don’t pull in viewers.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Rather have FSU….they pull in a much bigger market than Miami…they are closer on par with Florida when it comes to statewide audience and fanbase. I’m also not a fan of bringing in Georgia Tech….even if it’s in the Atlanta market nobody cares…it’s like Northwestern…it might be in Chicago but they still don’t pull in viewers.

Not sure they care about viewers. Just access to the market

• Like 4

10 hours ago, dgambill said:

NSF.  Miami is a bigger TV market than Tallahassee.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rico said:

NSF.  Miami is a bigger TV market than Tallahassee.

Florida and Florida St pull viewers in every part of the state…including Miami….the Hurricanes only draw the Miami market primarily. Don’t get me wrong Miami has around 1.5 million viewers on avg but Florida St avgs about a million more. If you want a program to draw viewership between the two it isn’t close…Florida St would draw way more eyes and get in way more recruits homes. I also think it would be more beneficial for Florida St as well. They would be the only Florida team in the B1G and could differentiate themselves from the other two in-state schools and probably would become the favorite to win the new Atlantic Division in the B1G instead of fighting it out with Florida and Georgia and probably Clemson in the SEC. I’d be very happy to add them. 

As far as Georgia Tech?? Heck they pull Purdue viewership….same as Virginia. I know there is more than viewership involved but I’d be targeting FSU, VT, NC, Duke in the ACC and Stanford, Washington, and Oregon…then dare ND to not join. Like UCLA and USC I feel NC and Duke are a pair and there is value outside of just football with Duke…besides IU needs a football win somewhere. We need to up the focus across all sports not just football and Duke will help change the play style in Basketball and recruiting nationally. Also I don’t want another Purdue/Wisconsin clone in Virginia in the league selfishly lol.

Edited by dgambill

14 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Florida and Florida St pull viewers in every part of the state…including Miami….the Hurricanes only draw the Miami market primarily. Don’t get me wrong Miami has around 1.5 million viewers on avg but Florida St avgs about a million more.

“The best thing about Miami as a Super Bowl site is that it is so close to the United States,” Ed Schyler of The Associated Press said, as reported on January 19, 1989.

• Haha 2

I realize that a majority of these conference realignment articles are nothing more than pissing in the wind.  But they do make great conversations/discussions.  With that being said I find it hard to believe that the B1G's next expansion wouldn't include some schools out west.  I mean I would like to think "we" are targeting somebody to go with USC and UCLA out there.  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ThePaulieWalnuts said:

Don’t know if Swaim’s sources are well places but I’ve been told from people I know that B1G does indeed want GT, Miami, UNC, UVA and Duke.  They also said it’s only a matter of time.  B1G also has interest in Notre Dame (duh), Kansas, Washington and Oregon.

Grab a few from TZ and AZ and we will have the whole country covered. And Montana State. Whats a conference without the Bobcats?

• Haha 1

On 4/16/2023 at 4:52 PM, rico said:

I realize that a majority of these conference realignment articles are nothing more than pissing in the wind.  But they do make great conversations/discussions.  With that being said I find it hard to believe that the B1G's next expansion wouldn't include some schools out west.  I mean I would like to think "we" are targeting somebody to go with USC and UCLA out there.  

It’s all about the money. I’d be disappointed if we didn’t add Stanford to go with Washington and Oregon. It’s a prestigious academic school and has a ton of Olympic sports success…plus I think you add them to the fold along with a few ACC schools and suddenly ND is left without any dance partners. You go 24 teams and you basically only schedule conference games and a tune up. So say 10 games with 9 conference games and a tune up…then say a 4 team playoff for B1G championship or something. Then the B1G champ vs SEC for all the marbles.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, rico said:

They have NC, VA, VA Tech and Miami as best fits for the Big Ten. Add WA and OR, and you have your super conference. I think I'd prefer GA Tech over VA Tech. Access to GA (and recruits down there) and an easier win in football than VA Tech. Of course, we have to save room for ND, Stanford, Texas and I'd like AZ State. Lots of Big Ten alumni down there.  

23 minutes ago, Reacher said:

They have NC, VA, VA Tech and Miami as best fits for the Big Ten. Add WA and OR, and you have your super conference. I think I'd prefer GA Tech over VA Tech. Access to GA (and recruits down there) and an easier win in football than VA Tech. Of course, we have to save room for ND, Stanford, Texas and I'd like AZ State. Lots of Big Ten alumni down there.  

Texas?