USC and UCLA to the Big Ten ?

16 hours ago, dgambill said:

Maybe this round? But if I’m Washington or USC etc am i willing to accept less then Northwestern or Purdue….or heck even IU? To me it sets us up down the road to put us all in tiers and we are right back where we started. Imo we better get our football act together fast.

"get our football act together fast"...  Now that's a good one!   😂😂

• Haha 1

I could kind of see this-

But from a football perspective, my personal view is that once you get past the point where every school can play one another in football every year or at least most years — something that’s already hard once you’ve expanded to 16 teams — I don’t know that there are any particularly bright dividing lines. For instance, expanding to 24 schools — say, by adding everyone in Tiers 1, 2 and 3 — might even work better than 20, since you could split them into four fairly geographically balanced divisions:

Pacific: Cal, Oregon, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Washington

Great Plains: Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, Northwestern, Wisconsin

Great Lakes: Indiana, Michigan, Michigan State, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Purdue

Atlantic: Florida State, Maryland, Miami, Rutgers, North Carolina, Penn State

3 minutes ago, Reacher said:

But from a football perspective, my personal view is that once you get past the point where every school can play one another in football every year or at least most years — something that’s already hard once you’ve expanded to 16 teams — I don’t know that there are any particularly bright dividing lines. For instance, expanding to 24 schools — say, by adding everyone in Tiers 1, 2 and 3 — might even work better than 20, since you could split them into four fairly geographically balanced divisions:

That Great Lakes division would be a bear in football, and no cakewalk in basketball...

38 minutes ago, rico said:

I would like to think that basketball would be different as far as divisions go?

Sure...Uneven but ;) 

Bluebloods

UCLA

North Carolina

Indiana

Michigan State

Won it Once

Cal

Oregon 

Stanford

Wisconsin

Ohio State

Maryland

Michigan

Wannabes

Illinois

Purdue

Miami

Notre Dame

Northwestern (based on their 1931 Helms Banner...Hey, gotta be fair, right?)

Florida State

Iowa

Never Were's

USC

Washington

Minnesota

Nebraska

Rutgers

Penn St

On 8/26/2022 at 10:48 AM, Reacher said:

Swap Illinois and Indiana since they touch Lake Michigan.  Both schools are subpar in Football anyways so it wouldn't really affect anything other than screwing Illinoise more and putting IU in a better Division..

But wouldn't this also then require a 4 team playoff system for Conference Champ?

Edited by IowaHoosierFan

1 hour ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

how would you then crown your champion from the 4 division? 

A four team playoff every year between OSU, ND, MI and USC. Regardless of outcome, all four automatically advance to the 12 team national championship playoffs against 8 auto qualifiers from the SEC. Then PSU, UCLA, WI, IA, MSU and FSU get auto bids every year to a NY's day bowl game. The remaining team among the others with the best record gets a bid to the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl. 

• Haha 3

On 8/26/2022 at 1:13 PM, IUFLA said:

Sure...Uneven but ;) 

Bluebloods

UCLA

North Carolina

Indiana

Michigan State

Won it Once

Cal

Oregon 

Stanford

Wisconsin

Ohio State

Maryland

Michigan

Wannabes

Illinois

Purdue

Miami

Notre Dame

Northwestern (based on their 1931 Helms Banner...Hey, gotta be fair, right?)

Florida State

Iowa

Never Were's

USC

Washington

Minnesota

Nebraska

Rutgers

Penn St

Rutgers did make a final four.  Should count for something.   😁

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
10 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Wow, just wow! Ever wonder why people hate the state of California? Exhibit A. 

"I don't believe that joining the Big 10 is in the best interest of UCLA, its students, its athletes, its alumni, its fans, the rest of the UC system, the State of California, or the world at large."

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, IUaic said:

Wow, just wow! Ever wonder why people hate the state of California? Exhibit A. 

"I don't believe that joining the Big 10 is in the best interest of UCLA, its students, its athletes, its alumni, its fans, the rest of the UC system, the State of California, or the world at large."

That is exactly the phrase that stood out to me when I read it.  Some people view Walton as a harmless goofball.  I've always considered him to be an arrogant jerk.  

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

That is exactly the phrase that stood out to me when I read it.  Some people view Walton as a harmless goofball.  I've always considered him to be an arrogant jerk.  

The college basketball world would be better off if Bill just faded away.

• Like 3