USC and UCLA to the Big Ten ?

2 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

The AD at Notre Dame has publicly stated that when this television contract expires he wants them to remain independent. He said that’s what “makes them special.” 
I hope they get left behind and become irrelevant. 

Eliminating a football power in our state wouldn't hurt either....

So if I'm understanding correctly. New members come in at $30M per year with $1M more per year until new TV deal runs out in 2030 or so. That means folks like UCLA, USC, Oregon, Washington are all getting $30M when current members are getting $80M to $100M?

Man that Pac 12 was bad.

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

So if I'm understanding correctly. New members come in at $30M per year with $1M more per year until new TV deal runs out in 2030 or so. That means folks like UCLA, USC, Oregon, Washington are all getting $30M when current members are getting $80M to $100M?

Man that Pac 12 was bad.

No. USC and UCLA get the full revenue share. Oregon and Washington get the 30M/1M deal. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Reacher said:

Michigan State isn't the Alpha, I don't think there is one in the league.  And aside from that if your tiers have Iowa on par with Indiana I have trouble taking it seriously.

• Like 1

Assuming the 12 team playoff format will have to be changed pretty quickly now too. Can't believe the Pac 12 basically died yesterday. 

In terms of hoops it shouldn't be that hard to design a schedule to accommodate USC/UCLA. Fly to LA play one team on a Friday night and another on a Monday. Or something like that.

Similar to Washington/Oregon. 

• Like 1

To me, it seems almost inevitable that the Big 10 gets to 20 teams...Another one from the Picked Over 12 (Stanford or Cal) and...Notre Dame...

Not to offend the Notre Dame fans on here, but there's a part of me that would like to see them become the Sawanee College of the 21st century as far as football relevance goes simply because of the arrogant independant stance...But their hierarchy has to see that as far as any kind of National Championship playoff, the SEC and Big 10 are going to be the driving forces...I'm sure they'd use any excuse to exclude Notre Dame in favor of their own teams...

I think the Big 10 needs to go all in on The Irish and make a package so sweet, they can't pass it up...Add Notre Dame and the built historic rivalries (Michigan, Mischigan State, Purdue, USC) would have the networks salivating at the next TV negotiations...Have the current 16 teams help the Irish pay their way out of the ACC ($100 million which would mean each current Big 10 team, including USC and UCLA, paying $6.25 million toward the effort)

Make 4 5 team divisions...

West
USC
UCLA
Washington
Stanford or Cal
Oregon

Plains
Nebraska
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Iowa
Illinois

Midwest
Indiana
Purdue
Michigan
Michigan State
Northwestern

East
Ohio State
Penn State
Maryland
Rutgers
Notre Dame

In football, have the 4 division champs in a mini playoff to determine the Big 10 champ...

In basketball, have each division play a tournament at the end of the regular season...West out in LA, Plains in Minneapolis, Midwest in Chicago, and East in NYC...The 4 winners come to Indy to determine the champion...

Just a thought...I was out working in the barn in this ungodly heat and between listening to the Beatle "White Album" and the "feels like 108" temp, I was a little delirious :)

So pick it apart fellas...

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

Inevitable. Money rules. Struggling to see how traveling coast to coast helps B1G teams. Scheduling will be ridiculous. 

None of these decisions are based on what is best for the product we see or how it effects the players. It is just about show me the money.  Greed will always come back to bite you in the butt. They forget what made things great and always want to change things thinking that is what people want to see.  This has happened with college sports when they keep trying to add more and more product on TV.  To me the greed of money has oversaturated the product where now it isn't as special as it used to be.

I am afraid that they will do this with the tournament and change the way they select the teams. I heard there had been talk about taking away the automatic bid and just have everyone being an at large bid.  They will probably want to expand the field wanting to get more TV money as well.  They think this is what fans want to see but it isn't. We want to see the small schools having a chance to knock off the top teams. We also don't want to see a diluted tournament with more teams.