USC and UCLA to the Big Ten ?

10 hours ago, rico said:

Thought I would put this here.  Michigan regent gets honest:

https://sports.yahoo.com/university-michigan-regent-gives-brutally-015556399.html

This is a brutal take-down (edited a bit):

"These college leaders run to Congress demanding action about how the biggest threats to college sports are the transfer portal and NIL . . . then they go transfer portal an entire conference."

"If the arguments for Congressional action had no merit before, now they look positively silly."

My gosh, this guy carved them up like a Christmas roast.

image.jpeg.f9c30c7fca223d6f4be452c3b71d656a.jpeg

• Like 2

Flipping this topic a bit...How does this affect recruiting? Opens it up? Creates more competition?  Obviously, for football, we now have more competition, but it also opens up more recruiting areas.  Additionally, I think eventually, when the B1G and SEC are the two conferences, it consolidates talent into only those leagues, as players will want to play in the best conferences.

13 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

Well duh. Obviously two schools on the Pacific Coast should be in the Atlantic Coast conference.

Nothing could be more illustrative of this circus.

Circus, yes, but could be a good first step in giving the ACC a good path.  Maybe they change their name.  

We end up with four quality conferences.  ACC, Big 12, B1G and SEC.  I am fine with that.   Can still be a good quality product.   I’m not sure the two conference idea that the northeast media types has been pushing was ever good for IU, Illinois, Purdue etc.   There are two many big programs to squeeze into two conferences.  To me, that would have been the worst circus.  And the smaller football programs in those conferences could have gotten squeezed.  We are in no position to talk tough in that area and neither are a few of our conference rivals.   

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Circus, yes, but could be a good first step in giving the ACC a good path.  Maybe they change their name.  

We end up with four quality conferences.  ACC, Big 12, B1G and SEC.  I am fine with that.   Can still be a good quality product.   I’m not sure the two conference idea that the northeast media types has been pushing was ever good for IU, Illinois, Purdue etc.   There are two many big programs to squeeze into two conferences.  To me, that would have been the worst circus.  And the smaller football programs in those conferences could have gotten squeezed.  We are in no position to talk tough in that area and neither are a few of our conference rivals.   

If I were to rank those conferences right now, the ACC would be #4 and not even close to sniffin' #3.  Clemson needs some help.  Florida St., Miami, and Va Tech need to get their heads out of their arszes and get back to their former selves.  That goes for Pitt, Syracuse, and Boston College as well.

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

In my opinion the top football programs will separate from the NCAA and form a college football league. Probably will take the top 30 programs and have 6 5 team divisions. For the rest of the sports they should try to get back to the original conferences which would be good for fans and players.

Travel for football is probably easier since most teams probably play 5 or 6 road games a year. Also you only play 1 game a week so it won't hurt those players as much. Most other sports plays a lot of road games and probably play 3 games a week. This just makes for more travel for these athletes. These athletes are still student athletes unlike most football and basketball players.

Just now, rico said:

If I were to rank those conferences right now, the ACC would be #4 and not even close to sniffin' #3.  Clemson needs some help.  Florida St., Miami, and Va Tech need to get their heads out of their arszes and get back to their former selves.  That goes for Pitt, Syracuse, and Boston College as well.

For football maybe but they are good in a lot of other sports 

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

In my opinion the top football programs will separate from the NCAA and form a college football league. Probably will take the top 30 programs and have 6 5 team divisions. For the rest of the sports they should try to get back to the original conferences which would be good for fans and players.

Travel for football is probably easier since most teams probably play 5 or 6 road games a year. Also you only play 1 game a week so it won't hurt those players as much. Most other sports plays a lot of road games and probably play 3 games a week. This just makes for more travel for these athletes. These athletes are still student athletes unlike most football and basketball players.

Until then, we will probably see some schools doing away with the "lessor" sports.

1 minute ago, rico said:

Talking football there Scooter.

I know but this is a basketball thread. I really don't care about what football does because it isn't my favorite college sport. I am to a point that they should not have football be part of the schools any longer

For me football is what is ruining college sports because of the greed it is causing. That and TV rights are making college sports into professional sports.  Even in basketball and the money that is spent on TV rights just causes more greed. I wasn't in favor of expanding the TV rights to the tournament to include TBS and TNT but it brought more money in.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I know but this is a basketball thread. I really don't care about what football does because it isn't my favorite college sport. I am to a point that they should not have football be part of the schools any longer

For me football is what is ruining college sports because of the greed it is causing. That and TV rights are making college sports into professional sports.  Even in basketball and the money that is spent on TV rights just causes more greed. I wasn't in favor of expanding the TV rights to the tournament to include TBS and TNT but it brought more money in.

No.  This is a conference realignment thread that is in the basketball forum.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

The times they are a changin' ... 

10 hours ago, IU Scott said:

It is good if it makes things better but not all change makes things better

Why must you be so problematic?  Why Scott?  The change has happened.  Neither you or I can undo what has been done.  So you better quit whining about it and get used to it.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, rico said:

Why must you be so problematic?  Why Scott?  The change has happened.  Neither you or I can undo what has been done.  So you better quit whining about it and get used to it.  

So I assume during game threads you won't complain at all about the players or coaches. Since we can't undo what has happened then we shouldn't say anything.