Tour de France

Anyone been watching this year’s Tour? I just started watching the extended NBC highlights on Youtube and Stage 5 was super entertaining. 
There were many rough sections of cobblestones and lots of drama. Including many pileups, lots of heavy dust, crazy high speeds, and a rider getting handed a bike that was way too tall for him at one point and trying to ride it. This year’s Tour is 21 stages over 2000 miles, and over 150,000 feet of vertical climbing. These guys are insane to be able to make it through that. 

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Didn't some rider break his neck in a collision with a fan?  I think he actually finished the stage, but x-rays later showed the fracture.  

I’m only up to stage 5 so far. Started late. I do know that some guy dislocated his shoulder on this stage in a crash, but still finished. 

It’s crazy to see how far race videography has come these days. I don’t actually watch much in the way of sports outside of IU basketball/football, but these recaps are super entertaining. There’s so much strategy and skill (and a lot of luck) involved in a long event like this. 

5 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

INSANE descent speed on Stage 12. Literal balls of steel. 

I feel fast going 30mph downhill, cannot imagine 62mph. 

I've went that fast on a dirtbike. No way I'd do it on a regular bike with those skinny tires. Yikes. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 1

Ha, the eraser men!

https://www.rouleur.cc/blogs/the-rouleur-journal/the-eraser-men

Busy with other jobs, a young “man in blue” – dressed like all the employees of Doublet – sounds a warning to them from behind his hood: “Boys, you’re gonna see a lot of cocks.” Indeed they are; as the van begins its descent, the penis in all its myriad forms springs up as far as the eye can see. Every hundred metres or so, sometimes flying in formation, there are male genitalia; phalluses, cocks, willies, schlongs. 

Edited by Lostin76

On 7/17/2022 at 6:44 PM, mrflynn03 said:

I've went that fast on a dirtbike. No way I'd do it on a regular bike with those skinny tires. Yikes. 

It's kind of scary, but not as scary as you'd think.

Also, these aren't Wal-Mart bikes, haha - THAT would be scary.  The bikes these pros are on are $12-15k with more engineering put into them than some cars.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rogue3542 said:

It's kind of scary, but not as scary as you'd think.

Also, these aren't Wal-Mart bikes, haha - THAT would be scary.  The bikes these pros are on are $12-15k with more engineering put into them than some cars.

That is true, these are high functioning bikes professionally tuned with not a lot that could go wrong while coasting downhill. But still those corners at that speed is beyond my thrill level. Dudes have died during the TDF before though.

Maybe when I was 23 I would have tried something like that, but I start thinking about pebbles and rocks at 30mph downhill in the park. Guess that’s why these guys are pros and I work a 9-5!

On 7/20/2022 at 8:32 PM, bluegrassIU said:

I took my bike (Trek verve 2) out Saturday and busted a solid 20 miles in under 3 hours.  😎

Tour is only a year or two away for me!

This year's winner finished the entire race with an average speed of 26.1 mph over 2,077 miles.  That's the average of all 21 stages, including the mountain stages, which add up to 157,024 feet climbed in that span, making it nearly 30 miles of vertical gain - and even with all that climbing they averaged 26 mph!

It's nearly inhuman how fast these guys are.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

This year's winner finished the entire race with an average speed of 26.1 mph over 2,077 miles.  That's the average of all 21 stages, including the mountain stages, which add up to 157,024 feet climbed in that span, making it nearly 30 miles of vertical gain - and even with all that climbing they averaged 26 mph!

It really is a phenomenal achievement to do it at that level and speed. Over 2000 miles and 30 miles of vertical gain! 

Am always a bit sad when it’s over, as most of July is taken up following results and replays. 

Am hoping they do extended highlights of the women’s race - think it’s only nine stages. 

10 hours ago, rogue3542 said:

I actually bike often. And uphill biking is as difficult as any exercise that I have ever done.

I am in awe of what those guys do. It is seriously superhuman and inspiring. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

I actually bike often. And uphill biking is as difficult as any exercise that I have ever done.

I am in awe of what those guys do. It is seriously superhuman and inspiring. 

A little background - I raced in Little 5, was on the IU club cycling team, and did some amateur racing after college.

Ten years ago, when my wife and I took our honeymoon to Nice, France, I rented a bike one day and went to climb the Col de Vence.  About 1/3rd of the way up, a local pro blazed past me - made me look like I was standing still!  A little while later, he zipped past descending, and then a little bit before I got to the top, he passed me again!

Now, I was always on the heavier side for cycling (built more like a linebacker honestly), but I was pretty well trained, and this guy just made me look like a 5 year-old who just took the training wheels off haha.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rogue3542 said:

A little background - I raced in Little 5, was on the IU club cycling team, and did some amateur racing after college.

Ten years ago, when my wife and I took our honeymoon to Nice, France, I rented a bike one day and went to climb the Col de Vence.  About 1/3rd of the way up, a local pro blazed past me - made me look like I was standing still!  A little while later, he zipped past descending, and then a little bit before I got to the top, he passed me again!

Now, I was always on the heavier side for cycling (built more like a linebacker honestly), but I was pretty well trained, and this guy just made me look like a 5 year-old who just took the training wheels off haha.

I had that happen to me back in the day. Passed by a Postal Service rider in Arizona. One of those inclines that made me wish I had a third ring - if I didn't stand up I thought I'd fall over. The dude just cruised past us in the saddle, barely breathing hard. Just demoralizing. 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

I had that happen to me back in the day. Passed by a Postal Service rider in Arizona. One of those inclines that made me wish I had a third ring - if I didn't stand up I thought I'd fall over. The dude just cruised past us in the saddle, barely breathing hard. Just demoralizing. 

You just gave me flashbacks of Boltinghouse lol. Utilize the zig-zag!

• Haha 1

On 7/27/2022 at 7:42 AM, tdhoosier said:

Oh man. It’s been so long. It that the straight hill that goes up - then you get about 20 feet of relief in the middle of the climb - and then goes straight back up again?

I don't think it is - maybe?  My memories of it are that it's just a wall straight up.  Here's the strava segment:  

https://www.strava.com/segments/2081901