NCAAF/National Scene

rico

12 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

These bowl games are just brutal to watch. The product is just awful

Used to love bowl season. I can say this is the first year where I've maybe watched 3 hours total. Just not that into it all. Hoping the CFP games are good because otherwise the NCAA needs to change the calendar asap and move portal to after bowl season regardless how that impacts the academic calendar.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

The Suckeyes seeing what it’s like playing without your regular starting quarterback.  And now the freshman quarterback starter got drilled and went to the locker room.  OSU leads Missouri 3-0 in second quarter.

I hear ya....

ND played without their starting QB, although he was at the game, and their top RB. Both opted not to play because of NFL draft. Difference was the Irish managed to put a beating on Oregon State....

14 hours ago, Naturalhoosier said:

I think that’s just the byproduct of football being more popular than basketball.  Look at the NFL vs NBA games on Xmas. NBA games were pulling 1.5m-2.5m. NFL games were pulling 20m+. 

Stars sitting out has wreaked havoc on gambling. I won’t place wagers any longer on bowl games. It’s too unpredictable. 

I wonder how much the number of games effects the viewership... less games for an NFL team, so they are weighted more than NBA? Missing an NBA game isn't as big of a deal because they play so many and the wait between each usually isn't as long.

This is obviously not a new point, but I'm in the camp that Bowl season is a drag now simply because of over-saturation. With so many options, they hold less and less meaning/importance and have become the equivalent of participation trophies (which on another note makes IU's lack thereof even more sad; but that's a thread for a different day). They ultimately don't mean as much as they should.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MoyeCowbell said:

I wonder how much the number of games effects the viewership... less games for an NFL team, so they are weighted more than NBA? Missing an NBA game isn't as big of a deal because they play so many and the wait between each usually isn't as long.

This is obviously not a new point, but I'm in the camp that Bowl season is a drag now simply because of over-saturation. With so many options, they hold less and less meaning/importance and have become the equivalent of participation trophies (which on another note makes IU's lack thereof even more sad; but that's a thread for a different day). They ultimately don't mean as much as they should.

I can’t disagree. 17 times to see your team. Or 82 times. Or 162 times. Sounds like economics. 

On 12/27/2023 at 11:11 AM, Seeking6 said:

Somebody with a brain has to figure out these portal dates moving forward. Bowl season just isn't the same for the teams. Sure the younger guys get a chance to show their talents but so many players opting out for portal and/or draft.

Florida St who is coming off an undefeated season has now lost 20 guys in the portal who won't be suiting up for the Orange Bowl. I don't even know what the line is for that game but Georgia by 50.

Update. Georgia by 80.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Totally embarrassing performance by FSU....

I can't believe they had 20 guys sit out the game. I get being upset about the playoff snub, but they get to play Georgia which is as good as any playoff team. Don't get me wrong, Georgia is winning that game by double digits anyways but rolling over and playing dead to the tune of a record-setting 60 point margin is a big-time oof!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

https://247sports.com/article/5-star-alabama-commit-ryan-williams-breaks-down-three-finalists-locks-in-commitment-date-224192512/

I guess this is where we are at in college sports

It says a Alabama commit breaks down his 3 finalist and announced a commitment date. If he is an Alabama commit you have already committed 

That kid is a STUD.  Our school played them in the state title game last season. He plays like Percy Harvin. I'll be shocked if he doesn't go to Bama, but it's a sad state when you're still shopping after giving your word.

On 12/30/2023 at 1:18 PM, Proud2BAHoosier said:

I hear ya....

ND played without their starting QB, although he was at the game, and their top RB. Both opted not to play because of NFL draft. Difference was the Irish managed to put a beating on Oregon State....

Didn't Oregon st coach and qb peace out though?  I'm not as in tune.  I think Oregon st qb was one of the top initial portal guys???

On 12/30/2023 at 9:04 PM, bronkonagurski said:

I can't believe they had 20 guys sit out the game. I get being upset about the playoff snub, but they get to play Georgia which is as good as any playoff team. Don't get me wrong, Georgia is winning that game by double digits anyways but rolling over and playing dead to the tune of a record-setting 60 point margin is a big-time oof!

Are any of these kids competitors? It's a football game.

I assume most who sit out bowl games regret it later in life, when you know, the real.world comes calling. 

• Like 1