IUBB 22/‘23

8 minutes ago, 02Hoosier said:

Down to 17 in the AP poll

....IMO, rankings late in the season are a double edged sword. They help/hurt with NCAA seeding. They also give motivation to opposing teams to bring their "A" game and try to knock you down. I really care about the getting the double bye in the BIGTEN Tourney and top 5 seed in the NCAA tourney. 

Just now, btownqb said:

I just have a hard time believing any of the guys mentioned for DPOY impact the game defensively more than TJD does. 

They don’t. A big is always going to have a bigger impact than a perimeter player.

Perimeter players can shut down one guy, a big can take away the ability to score inside. 

1 minute ago, 02Hoosier said:

When is the last time someone in the conference has averaged as many blocks as TJD has this season?

Hell..he had 3 HUGE steals on Saturday, too. But to answer your question.. not sure. 

From what I've seen (maybe 10 game outside of the Indiana games)... he is clearly the best defensive player in the league. 

• Like 1

I don't pay much attention to the polls. Yeah it's nice recognition, but as we have seen already, college hoops has delivered all season long. You could argue over just about every team in the top 25, whether they should be higher, lower, why, etc. Some of the voters in the polls should have their credentials revoked, it's like they haven't seen some of the teams even play a game. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

That honestly kinda surprises me. So we dropped for a two point loss to NW on a blown call? That’s weak. 

All these AP voters don’t watch the games. They just look at results. Still surprised though given we lost to what should be a ranked Nwestern team, who is 2nd in the Big10, on their court by two. 

Edited by kyhoosier29
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Yep. Purdue getting their butts handed to them cost them only two spots. Our situation cost us three. I guess beating suck butt OSU was so much more impressive than us beating a decent Illinois team. 

I know we don't view ILL as a threat for much... but they're considered, by the metrics, a Top 30 team.  

Not disgreeing with you or anything.. but we truly by the #s we had a considerably better win last week than XU did. Oh well. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I know we don't view ILL as a threat for much... but they're considered, by the metrics, a Top 30 team.  

Not disgreeing with you or anything.. but we truly by the #s we had a considerably better win last week than XU did. Oh well. 

I didn’t think you were disagreeing. We agree. I probably should have used a different word than decent to convey my point. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Meanwhile, this clown does not even have IU in his top 25.  Only voter not to put the Hoosiers in there.

image.png.4fcc3edce240a891448b03be9c218bd2.png

It's this kind of nonsense that causes me to give little, if any, weight to the AP poll. Most voters are completely uninformed outside of the area they cover while others (like this guy) are a complete joke. It's become just a media tool to drive clicks/views. The NET (even with it's flaws) is a far better system IMO. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Yep. Conference tournaments are going to shake up a lot of those current teams hanging around the 4 seed quite a bit. 

Yeah - I think for us if we can win the two home games remaining and avoid a bad loss in the conference tournament (not sure that is even possible against a B1G team on a neutral court) we should be fine for a 4 seed. Could slip to a 5, but that's not much of a difference anyway.

I'd prefer to be the 5 in Louisville than a 4 somewhere else, anyway. 

• Like 3

I'm really hoping we can get XJ back for Saturday's game, even if he only plays a few minutes like Race did in his first game back. I think it was Feb 16 when Coach Woodson said he was a week or two away from returning, so Saturday would be right in that range. That'd also give him 3 regular season games plus at least one B1G tourney game to get back in the swing of things. As we've seen lately, our depth is severely lacking. Adding XJ back into the mix means either him or Galloway can come off the bench and give us some bench production that's been severely lacking lately. That's going to be crucial if we want to make any sort of a run in the tourney.