IUBB 22/‘23

6 minutes ago, DWB said:

Edey's numbers, while good, are myopic. All within 5' of the bucket. And he is NOT the leader of the team.

TJD on the other hand, brings the ball up the court, is great around 5' like Edey, and IS the leader of the team. I realize NPOY won't give any credit for the leadership role, but to knowledgeable BBall fans, it is another metric to consider.

Unfortunately, the national media seems pretty determined to crown a one-dimensional player.  Granted, that one dimension is very effective,  but still...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Tamar is 41-46 from the FT line as a Hoosier. 

One of those 5 misses? Front end of a 1 and 1 vs. NW the first time around, the next possession JHS missed a front end, as well, I thought those misses were massive. 

I remember both of those - our percentage was mostly fine that game but we left a lot more points on the line than it looked like because of that. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

As the tweet says, repectfully, this is ridiculous.  Over the last nine games, Tamar has had 4 games scoring exactly zero points, one scoring 2, and one scoring 3.  That's 7 of the last 9 games, during a monster stretch, where he has no showed offensively.   

He is handling the ball much better without turning it over.  He defense has been fine.  He brings effort every game.  And hits free throws if he ever gets to take them.  

We haven't struggled to score, for the most part, during those games. Bates isn't perfect, obviously.. but he has improved a ton since last year.... one more decent jump going into next year and we have a really solid player on our hands (and a lethal shooter) he's last two years. 

I don't necessarily it's a "no show" as much as it is ... people don't leave he and Kopp. I wouldn't if I were coaching against us. 

He missed two bunnies the last game, yes. I realize that. 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

We haven't struggled to score, for the most part, during those games. Bates isn't perfect, obviously.. but he has improved a ton since last year.... one more decent jump going into next year and we have a really solid player on our hands (and a lethal shooter) he's last two years. 

I don't necessarily it's a "no show" as much as it is ... people don't leave he and Kopp. I wouldn't if I were coaching against us. 

He missed two bunnies the last game, yes. I realize that. 

He definitely hasn't been given open three-point looks but man seven out of nine is pretty rough.  I know he can shoot jumpers but I'd actually like to see him going in and take some contact going to the rim if the three-point shot isn't there.

2 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

He definitely hasn't been given open three-point looks but man seven out of nine is pretty rough.  I know he can shoot jumpers but I'd actually like to see him going in and take some contact going to the rim if the three-point shot isn't there.

I don't lol 

Shoot it or get rid of it. He's struggled to drive, outside of one decent move vs... Michigan State? Can't remember the game. I don't like when he and Kopp dribble. 

but to each their own. 

Edited by btownqb

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

I don't lol 

Shoot it or get rid of it. He's struggled to drive, outside of one decent move vs... Michigan State? Can't remember the game. I don't like when he and Kopp dribble. 

The man shoots 95% from the line.  What's funny about him going to get 2 the old fashioned way.  It's his most efficient option.  Currently, he shys away from contact and winds up with a no chance floater or fade away.  I'm talking about go up and through contact, draw a foul.  

I get what you are saying but that also makes them easier to defend on the perimeter.   You can close out knowing they won't blow by.  Every now and then, make them pay.  I'm not talking as an either or.  Of course pass the ball, a lot a lot, that's my favorite offense.  Like the first 10 minutes vs Purdue.   We had their defense on skates because of passing.  

Edited by NotIThatLives
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Currently, he says away from contact and winds up with a no chance floated or fade away. I'm talking about go up and throw contact, draw a foul

I see that way too often with our guards... Galloway and JHS do it too... Too many circus shots and not enough taking it to the rim with conviction... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

The man shoots 95% from the line.  What's funny about him going to get 2 the old fashioned way.  It's his most efficient option.  Currently, he says away from contact and winds up with a no chance floated or fade away.  I'm talking about go up and throw contact, draw a foul.  

I get what you are saying but that also makes them easier to defend on the perimeter.   You can close out knowing they won't blow by.  Every now and then, make them pay.  I'm not talking as an either or.  Of course pass the ball, a lot a lot, that's my favorite offense.  Like the first 10 minutes vs Purdue.   We had their defense on skates because of passing.  

He isn't good at drawing fouls when he does drive, though. To me you're talking about a player you'd prefer him to be, rather than the player he is. He's a tall Jordy Hulls, currently. 

I do hope he continues to build that ability. 

He could really come on next year. His shot is pretty lethal, currently. 

Edited by btownqb

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I see that way too often with our guards... Galloway and JHS do it too... Too many circus shots and not enough taking it to the rim with conviction... 

JHS sucks at it. It's been better the last 2-3 games though. Galloway is a master finisher, imo. (someone will surely make that perverted) 

Finishing in the paint is pretty difficult, nowadays, defenders are allowed to contact the finisher more often. 

• Like 2

Gallo and JHS at least make it to the rim… as much as I want Bates to open up and develop that part of his game, he hasn’t as @btownqb mentioned. When he can’t get to the rim he settles for a Dirk-like fadeaway and he’s probably shooting like 20% or less on it. He did it twice at Michigan and bricked both of them. That was a big reason why he didn’t play much that game. I’d really like to see him succeed but he’s a game to game roller coaster.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

He isn't good at drawing fouls when he does drive, though. To me you're talking about a player you'd prefer him to be, rather than the player he is. He's a tall Jordy Hulls, currently. 

He could really come on next year. His shot is pretty lethal, currently. 

For sure, he really needs to work on that.  That and not floating or fading away from contact.  But the last two are adjustments and using bball iq.  Agree, going to the rim off the dribbling isn't his strong suit, its pretty cringeworthy at the moment.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Finishing in the paint is pretty difficult, nowadays, defenders are allowed to contact the finisher more often. 

I agree with this 100%...

Bardo is always saying though, the moves to try to draw a foul aren't called as often as simply going in strong... 

Just now, NotIThatLives said:

For sure, he really needs to work on that.  That and not floating or fading away from contact.  But the last two are adjustments and using bball iq.  Agree, going to the rim off the dribbling isn't his strong suit, its pretty cringeworthy at the moment.  

But, one other thing that will really help him next year... I don't know that will be as much post oriented... (an open lane more often)... 

we could go... Cupps, Bates, JHS, Banks, and Malik for stretches next year, as an example. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

He's missed a bunch too...

As I said, I think if he just goes in strong he'd be better off... 

I honestly just think TG needs another healthy off season, weight room time... experience. I think he could be absurdly effective in the lane the next two season. 55% from 2 as it stands now and that is damn good for the types of shots he has to take, imo. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, DWB said:

Edey's numbers, while good, are myopic. All within 5' of the bucket. And he is NOT the leader of the team.

TJD on the other hand, brings the ball up the court, is great around 5' like Edey, and IS the leader of the team. I realize NPOY won't give any credit for the leadership role, but to knowledgeable BBall fans, it is another metric to consider.

I cant get behind this. These two arguments are.... meh

Scoring and rebound numbers are even with TJD having more assists and blocks. Simply put TJD is going to have to play better than Edey down the stretch for BTPOY. TJD is not going to get the award by brining the ball up the court 10 times this season.

• Like 1