Big 10 Basketball 2022-23

IUFLA

25 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

Should be a compliment. Yao Ming was great. 

sorry.....lol, TBH, I didn't even make that basketball connection the first time. I can't believe I missed it. I actually took it as a discriminatory remark against Asians. TOTALLY, My bad.... I've been under the weather, living on dayquil/nyquil. 

Carry on.... lol

Edited by Artesian_86

10 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

General topic within the topic: B1G teams with the best chance to make the second weekend of the tournament. 

With teams like NW and Rutgers, I just wonder how they’ll do in the tournament because defense defines them and their defense tends to be overly aggressive, which they get away with in conference. If games are called tighter I can’t imagine them winning their first game, despite their veteran back courts. 

On the other hand, will a dark horse team emerge? Last year it was Michigan. This year, I have a feeling that IL has a chance to do that, but can they get their talent to play a bit more disciplined?

And then you have the front-runner: Purdue. Dominant big. Young back court. 

And us. If we can get X playing close to 90% come mid March, I just think we have the best team in a tournament setting. 

So I pose the questions. If the tournament was seeded today….

Who would you bet $$$ on to make the elite 8?
Who is going to have a disappointing early exit?
Who is going to be this year’s unexpected ‘second weekend’ team?

Hard to predict/pick anything until the brackets come out.

Using the Frank Martin formula for tournament success (Good defense, and offensive presence inside)...

18 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Indiana and/or Purdue

19 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Iowa

20 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Rutgers

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Draws obviously matter a lot, but if I were looking at it today....

E8: IU & Purdue are the only two with a real shot IMO

Early Exit: I'm not sure anyone besides IU and Purdue could even qualify - and if we are say a 4 seed (projected there today), losing to a 5 seed in R32 isn't exactly disappointing. So I guess I'm going Purdue here.

Second Weekend: Iowa

• Like 1

I’d say Maryland has a shot a being a dark horse second weekend team. They clearly have talent and athleticism. I am worried about how well they’ll play on a neutral court though. They’ve only won two road games this season: @ Louisville & @ Minnesota. That leaves a lot to be desired to say the least.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

Besides the 2 flops against Edey the refs at IU were least offensive 

I will never understand the moving screens not being called at NW

give the people what they want….huge upsets & court storms for ESPN 

I'm not happy to see Big Ten refs sucking, but I remember thinking after the IU game when some Purdue fans were upset that if they thought that was bad they haven't really been on the short end of the stick this year. Unfortunately, now you see what it's like when it's really bad this year.

B1G refs consistently are allowing NW and Maryland to do whatever the hell they want and it sucks. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Boiler Sam said:

Or - maybe we just happened to play our road games against the 3 other top B1G teams in a 4 game stretch.

Color it any way you want.  Purdue has lost 3 of its last 4 games.  And if it is against the 3 other top BIG teams, those are exactly the type of teams Purdue is going to see in the NCAA tournament.

54 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Color it any way you want.  Purdue has lost 3 of its last 4 games.  And if it is against the 3 other top BIG teams, those are exactly the type of teams Purdue is going to see in the NCAA tournament.

Every Big Ten team has lost 3 of 4 but NW 

no ncaa game is at RAC or Maryland 

you will never convince me the refs don’t try to make it fair or keep it close on the road 

• Like 1

I have no clue what to expect from big ten teams when it comes to tournament results. Most teams and players play so well at home and play pretty bad on the road.  I guess it depends how teams react to a neutral site setting and how they play. Do teams play so well at home because of the home crowd gets them to play better. Does the road team just can't handle having fans not on their side and can't play away from home 

In the tournament first and second round you can play in some sterile environments and how do the teams play in those conditions.