Big 10 Basketball 2022-23

IUFLA

I would guess somehow if Kentucky wins the sec championship or makes it to the final they will Be a 5 and us a 4 unless they keep Kentucky in the Midwest with Purdue. Can’t have us and Purdue in the top 4 of same region unless we drop to a 5.

I think a 4/5 is about where we belong. I don’t think we’re one of the top 12. But Tennessee losing Ziegler puts us above them I believe. And we can play with anybody. Just not consistently. I think if we make the big ten final we could squeeze into a 3 if a couple teams bounce early but 4/5 is where we will probably stay regardless of what happens this week. 

59 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

It’s cool, we don’t have to agree. I think Edey is a force, but he’s not at TJD’s level overall. And TJD led his team to victory TWICE over Edey. 

And we beat that TEAM twice, once at their place. TJD led his team to beat that media darling team TWICE. TJD is a winner and Edey is really tall and had an easy schedule. So, I guess there’s that. 

Don’t forget TJD is showing up as first round draft pick. Edy isn’t!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

It’s cool, we don’t have to agree. I think Edey is a force, but he’s not at TJD’s level overall. And TJD led his team to victory TWICE over Edey. 

I've never seen Edey grab a rebound and start the fast break. I've also never seen Edey guard out on the perimeter anywhere close to what Trayce can do...

You're 100% correct when saying overall Edey is not on Trayce's level... 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I've never seen Edey grab a rebound and start the fast break. I've also never seen Edey guard out on the perimeter anywhere close to what Trayce can do...

You're 100% correct when saying overall Edey is not on Trayce's level... 

Glad I’m not the only one who sees it. Sure Edey is an effective player, but it’s only b/c of his height. Dude has developed a shot, but that’s it. He’s not able to do anything else but shoot and rebound right by the basket.

He’s boring and one dimensional, and I would add that I don’t see him doing the things TJD does to develop his team. One note, boring, tall dude from a boring one note school. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Glad I’m not the only one who sees it. Sure Edey is an effective player, but it’s only b/c of his height. Dude has developed a shot, but that’s it. He’s not able to do anything else but shoot and rebound right by the basket.

He’s boring and one dimensional, and I would add that I don’t see him doing the things TJD does to develop his team. One note, boring, tall dude from a boring one note school. 

I thought I mentioned it yesterday but here it goes again.  I noticed in the 2nd half that when Illinois collapsed on Edey(doubled/tripled), he almost "refused" to kick the ball out.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, rico said:

I thought I mentioned it yesterday but here it goes again.  I noticed in the 2nd half that when Illinois collapsed on Edey(doubled/tripled), he almost "refused" to kick the ball out.  

Exactly, and I recall seeing your post and noting it. TJD will quickly share the ball to get a shot and therefore help to develop his supporting cast. Not to mention his ability to rebound, drive the ball down the entire court, and either score or score the assist. I’d like to see Edey do that. 

The more I think about it, the more ridiculous it seems to me to have such a one dimensional oaf as player of the year. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lostin76 said:

Exactly, and I recall seeing your post and noting it. TJD will quickly share the ball to get a shot and therefore help to develop his supporting cast. Not to mention his ability to rebound, drive the ball down the entire court, and either score or score the assist. I’d like to see Edey do that. 

The more I think about it, the more ridiculous it seems to me to have such a one dimensional oaf as player of the year. 

He has the simplistic game you'd expect from someone who hasn't played organized ball for very long.  Kudos to him for practicing and getting his limited repertoire of moves down and I applaud him for being a very effective player for Purdue. However, as I said much earlier this season...If Zach Edey is NPOTY, that says more about how weak this year is than it says about Zach Edey.  I'm not even sure we couldn't come up with teams where he wouldn't even be the first option.

11 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

He has the simplistic game you'd expect from someone who hasn't played organized ball for very long.  Kudos to him for practicing and getting his limited repertoire of moves down and I applaud him for being a very effective player for Purdue. However, as I said much earlier this season...If Zach Edey is NPOTY, that says more about how weak this year is than it says about Zach Edey.  I'm not even sure we couldn't come up with teams where he wouldn't even be the first option.

Oscar Tshiebwe is out there.

Here’s my question: with the whole, “it’s only because of his height” argument or my favorite of “he’d suck if he were 6 inches shorter”, why aren’t all 7+ footers just tearing it up across college basketball? His stamina, footwork, endurance, etc are insane for a guy his size. He can shoot away from the basket (evidenced by his free throw percentage) but doesn’t need to since he can higher percentage shots closer to the rim. Not sure why the two players are even being compared tbh. Their games are night and day different and TJD is much more of a 4 than a true 5. Not sure where you get the “I don’t see him doing the things TJD does to develop his team” from. Edey isn’t as vocal as TJD but he’s absolutely a leader. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Teams where he wouldn’t even be the first option? Come on now lol. He has the highest player efficiency rating (2.1) since Frank Kaminsky in 2015. 

3 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

He can shoot away from the basket (evidenced by his free throw percentage) but doesn’t need to since he can higher percentage shots closer to the rim.

Dude, I had to stop there because I was laughing so hard I almost pissed myself...

His free throw percentage says he has an outside shot? 😂😂😂 

He's 7'4 and has a coach that knows how to get him open within 5 feet of the basket, and he does have a soft touch around the basket... He can rebound and block shots that don't require much athleticism...

That about sums it up... 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Dude, I had to stop there because I was laughing so hard I almost pissed myself...

He's 7'4 and has a coach that knows how to get him open within 5 feet of the basket, and he does have a soft touch around the basket... He can rebound and block shots that don't require much athleticism...

That about sums it up... 

I’m saying if he wanted to shoot 12-15 foot jumpers, he could and I’m guessing he’d hit them at a solid clip. But why take a lower percentage shot when he can shoot better from close range? 

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

That about sums it up... 

His biggest asset is that he has normal coordination, which is extremely rare for players above 7'. Most are extremely gangly and uncoordinated.

He also does a really good job of taking advantage of his height, but yeah, he has average talent while being a good 5-7 inches taller than the other team's tallest player.

If he was as talented as Purdue fans think he is, he'd be a consensus #1 pick.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Nothing personal, but not much of future for a 7’4” plodder in today’s NBA….just ask Cofi Cockburn and Luka Garza. I won’t be surprised, if Edey goes undrafted. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I’m saying if he wanted to shoot 12-15 foot jumpers, he could and I’m guessing he’d hit them at a solid clip. But why take a lower percentage shot when he can shoot better from close range? 

Lol okay, he could probably play point guard, too.

• Haha 2

Just now, Stlboiler23 said:

Have you ever played basketball? There a huge difference between shooting a free throw and a 12-15 foot shot with a defender on you.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, rogue3542 said:

His biggest asset is that he has normal coordination, which is extremely rare for players above 7'. Most are extremely gangly and uncoordinated.

He also does a really good job of taking advantage of his height, but yeah, he has average talent while being a good 5-7 inches taller than the other team's tallest player.

If he was as talented as Purdue fans think he is, he'd be a consensus #1 pick.

He would be if this was the NBA from 30 years ago. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Have you ever played basketball? There a huge difference between shooting a free throw and a 12-15 foot shot with a defender on you.

There is?! jk but yeah I played growing up. Pretty tough to block a 7’4 guy’s shot on a jumper though. Would’ve been like me trying to guard Oden. 

Edited by Stlboiler23