Big 10 Basketball 2022-23

IUFLA

Ok, seriously @Stlboiler23... You think Edey can bring the ball up the floor? I've never seen him do it... Can he guard a guard or a wing from the perimeter all the way to the basket and block a shot when he gets there? I've seen him. They go around him like he's a traffic cone...

Hard to take you seriously when you say things that are so blatantly wrong... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Ok, seriously @Stlboiler23... You think Edey can bring the ball up the floor? I've never seen him do it... Can he guard a guard or a wing from the perimeter all the way to the basket and block a shot when. He gets there? I've seen him. They go around him like he's a traffic cone...

Hard to take you seriously when you say things that are so blatantly wrong... 

I was joking about the point guard stuff lol. He and TJD are drastically different players that any team in the country would lose their minds if they could land them for a year. And both will deservedly be first team All-Americans. 

Edited by Stlboiler23
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Teams where he wouldn’t even be the first option? Come on now lol. He has the highest player efficiency rating (2.1) since Frank Kaminsky in 2015. 

You seriously think Edey would be the #1 option on every team in D1 this year? 😂

A team that runs or shoots a lot from distance won't wait for Edey to set up camp in the paint.

...or perhaps this year is more down than I thought...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rico said:

I see CBS schmoes Jerry Palm, Gary Parrish, and Matt Norlander all picked Purdue to win the BTT.

I also see CBS savants Kyle Boone, David Cobb, and Chip Patterson all picked IU to win the BTT.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/march-madness-2023-college-basketball-conference-tournament-predictions-picks-odds-sleepers/

It was a 50/50 split at ESPN as well.  

Purdue:  Borzello & Lunardi

Indiana: Gasaway & Medcalf

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/35741915/predictions-all-32-men-college-basketball-2023-conference-tournament-champions

11 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Here’s my question: with the whole, “it’s only because of his height” argument or my favorite of “he’d suck if he were 6 inches shorter”, why aren’t all 7+ footers just tearing it up across college basketball? His stamina, footwork, endurance, etc are insane for a guy his size. He can shoot away from the basket (evidenced by his free throw percentage) but doesn’t need to since he can higher percentage shots closer to the rim. Not sure why the two players are even being compared tbh. Their games are night and day different and TJD is much more of a 4 than a true 5. Not sure where you get the “I don’t see him doing the things TJD does to develop his team” from. Edey isn’t as vocal as TJD but he’s absolutely a leader. 

Yes Edey has a gift of size and talent, no question! ....You mention his footwork, for one, is insane? His footwork may be good with his back to the basket, 5 feet away but..... How are his ball handling/dribbling skills when he's 15/20 feet, trying to go one on one with someone, while facing the basket? His bread and butter is being parked down low, catching a pass, back to the basket, lowering his shoulder, turning and shooting.  

• Like 1

I’ll just say this about Edey: I think it’s a bad look from us and any fan base discrediting him for his height and strength.

It’s a weak thing to knock a guy for, and we’ve seen other guys his size not nearly as effective because Edey has put in the work to be an elite college player. We’d have laughed any Purdue or Illinois fan off of the planet if they came here a decade ago and said Vic was only elite because he was born freakishly athletic (and we can see with Geronimo it takes a lot more than that).

Elite players have an elite trait, probably more times than not it’s something they inherited from the DNA lottery. But they still ALL have to go put in the work to take advantage of it. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

13 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I’ll just say this about Edey: I think it’s a bad look from us and any fan base discrediting him for his height and strength.

It’s a weak thing to knock a guy for, and we’ve seen other guys his size not nearly as effective because Edey has put in the work to be an elite college player. We’d have laughed any Purdue or Illinois fan off of the planet if they came here a decade ago and said Vic was only elite because he was born freakishly athletic (and we can see with Geronimo it takes a lot more than that).

Elite players have an elite trait, probably more times than not it’s something they inherited from the DNA lottery. But they still ALL have to go put in the work to take advantage of it. 

No one honestly "discredited" Edey. @Lostin76 already said the "tall" comments were tongue in cheek.

But his point stands. Most of us are already resigned to the fact that Edey will be the Big 10 PoY, and possibly NPoY, and by a wide margin.

@Lostin76's original point was that it should be closer, and Trayce is more versatile on a basketball floor than Edey will ever be... And that's pretty much indisputable...

And then you get @Stlboiler23 saying inane things like because Edey shoots FTs at a 73% clip, he probably has a good 12-15 foot jumper... That's laughable to anyone who's ever played...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

No one honestly "discredited" Edey. @Lostin76 already said the "tall" comments were tongue in cheek.

But his point stands. Most of us are already resigned to the fact that Edey will be the Big 10 PoY, and possibly NPoY, and by a wide margin.

@Lostin76's original point was that it should be closer, and Trayce is more versatile on a basketball floor than Edey will ever be... And that's pretty much indisputable...

And then you get @Stlboiler23 saying inane things like because Edey shoots FTs at a 73% clip, he probably has a good 12-15 foot jumper... That's laughable to anyone who's ever played...

From NBA draft scouting report:

At this size, Edey will instantly in the running for the heaviest player in the NBA when he makes the jump to that level.

While he has good touch around the rim and is even a good positional free throw shooter, Edey is not a perimeter scorer at all.

As a center 20 years ago, he’d be the perfect prospect. However, in the modern NBA he feels like more of a situational bit off the bench. 

Defensively, Edey is a quality shot blocker but is very slow due to his size. He doesn’t have the quickness to stay in front of guards or wings, so he relies on his strength and size to alter shots.

Overall, he’s worth a team taking him in the second round. While it may seem like he doesn’t have much more room to expand his game, Edey didn’t actually play basketball until his sophomore year of high school. He’s still learning, and the improvement just over the past few years is impressive.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Agree to disagree, I think some folks have tried really hard all year to discredit Edey and Purdue and it comes off really poorly IMO. It's on par with Purdue fans discrediting us because we can take advantage of the NIL better than they can. 

I think you can make a strong case that Trayce should be B1G POTY and Edey National POTY - no part of me making the case for Trayce would involve the weak takes on Edey. I mean, you could make a lot of those same points ya'll make about Edey towards someone like Shaq or Wilt if you need an example of how weak they are (and yes, from a college standpoint Edey has earned a comparison to Shaq and Wilt for how dominant he's been this season).

Boiler is trying to show that Edey is more than just his size, it's a valid point. I mean, what is TJD wasn't an elite level athlete for his size? Take away anyones best trait that they've built their game around and they'll be a lot worse, what a silly point to make.

I personally think TJD and Edey are the two best players in America; TJD had a better Big Ten season and Edey a better overall season IMO. If your argument for TJD as BTPOTY is centered around something wrong with the guy Trayce is competing with, you're doing a massive descredit to Trayce and all he's accomplished.

Here's my case for TJD as BTPOTY:

• 4 straight POTW awards in the middle of conference play
  • Put up numbers that have only been achieved this century at the college and NBA level by Tim Duncan
  • Best "conference only" raw numbers while having very good efficiency
  • Led his team to second place finish despite playing a far and away more difficult schedule than other top teams.
  • Led his team to a sweep of conference champion

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

I stated earlier in the year my take on Edey.  I compared him to Sampson, Ewing, and Hakeem.  I stand by the comparison.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Comparison in what way? Numbers? 

Numbers and staying around the rim to do their damage.  The biggest difference between the 3(Sampson, Ewing, Olajuwon) and Edey is that the previous ones are far more athletic than Zach.  There are subtle differences in their overall games but to me the 4 are comparable.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

The committee tentatively places one foot on a very slippery slope....

I don't like that at all. If OSU was on the bubble, would they then account for that game as if it was a loss?

Are they doing to count UVAs win against Duke against UVA now?

What about other games that perhaps didn't get a statement, but had controversial finishes (IU @ NU, several others)? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1