Indiana University is hopelessly antiquated when it comes to athletics

Most Universities treat athletics as a business and do whatever it takes to put the best at every position yo achieve maximum success. Indiana treats it like glorified intramural.

What has Scott Dolson achieved to be the Athletic Director at a power 5 university?

Can you envision the President of Indiana personally negotiating to bring in or keep a top shelf basketball or football coach like Michigan is doing?

Does the state of Indiana, alums, boosters even care that their state program doesn't care about athletics and is backwards and antiquated? 

Questions to ponder this weekend. 

10 hours ago, Sea Turtle said:

You guys aren't adding any conversation to the opening post. They are legitimate questions.

OK, here are answers to your "questions"

What has Scott Dolson achieved to be the Athletic Director at a power 5 university?  He spent decades working his way up IU's AD office.  Probably learned every job in the department and every aspect of being an AD along the way.  He's a lot more qualified to do the job than you are qualified to bitch about it.

Can you envision the President of Indiana personally negotiating to bring in or keep a top shelf basketball or football coach like Michigan is doing?  What's so special about Michigan getting or keeping Jim Harbaugh?  He's a Michigan man.  He graduated from Michigan.  Michigan has a long, storied history in football and there are surely a lot more former Michigan players qualified to come back and coach than Indiana has former players to come back and coach.  And there's a lot more high-level coaches who would take Michigan's job regardless of where they're from.  Even with that, I seem to recall Michigan going through a few coaches that sucked between their last good one and Harbaugh.

Does the state of Indiana, alums, boosters even care that their state program doesn't care about athletics and is backwards and antiquated?  This is an opinion often regurgitated on message boards by folks with nothing to do but fill a need to make themselves feel better, who probably aren't qualified to sell popcorn at Memorial Stadium, let alone know the first thing about running a college athletics program.  They belong to the same subset of people who criticize everything yet know nothing, falsely believing that makes them look intelligent.  As an alum and donor, yeah, I care.  That doesn't mean I need to go on public message boards making a fool of myself, taking shots at players, coaches, and ADs, and generally being an embarrassment to the fan base, the University, and the entire state of Indiana.  

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, IUJoe said:

What has Scott Dolson achieved to be the Athletic Director at a power 5 university?  He spent decades working his way up IU's AD office.  Probably learned every job in the department and every aspect of being an AD along the way.  He's a lot more qualified to do the job than you are qualified to bitch about it.

Can you envision the President of Indiana personally negotiating to bring in or keep a top shelf basketball or football coach like Michigan is doing?  What's so special about Michigan getting or keeping Jim Harbaugh?  He's a Michigan man.  He graduated from Michigan.  Michigan has a long, storied history in football and there are surely a lot more former Michigan players qualified to come back and coach than Indiana has former players to come back and coach.  And there's a lot more high-level coaches who would take Michigan's job regardless of where they're from.  Even with that, I seem to recall Michigan going through a few coaches that sucked between their last good one and Harbaugh.

Does the state of Indiana, alums, boosters even care that their state program doesn't care about athletics and is backwards and antiquated?  This is an opinion often regurgitated on message boards by folks with nothing to do but fill a need to make themselves feel better, who probably aren't qualified to sell popcorn at Memorial Stadium, let alone know the first thing about running a college athletics program.  They belong to the same subset of people who criticize everything yet know nothing, falsely believing that makes them look intelligent.  As an alum and donor, yeah, I care.  That doesn't mean I need to go on public message boards making a fool of myself, taking shots at players, coaches, and ADs, and generally being an embarrassment to the fan base, the University, and the entire state of Indiana.  

Best Hit Nail GIFs | Gfycat

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, IUJoe said:

I’d like to nominate this for post of the decade.  Time to lock this thread.

Edited by thirdgenhoosier
  • Like 1

On 1/13/2023 at 4:52 PM, Sea Turtle said:

Most Universities treat athletics as a business and do whatever it takes to put the best at every position yo achieve maximum success. Indiana treats it like glorified intramural.

What has Scott Dolson achieved to be the Athletic Director at a power 5 university?

Can you envision the President of Indiana personally negotiating to bring in or keep a top shelf basketball or football coach like Michigan is doing?

Does the state of Indiana, alums, boosters even care that their state program doesn't care about athletics and is backwards and antiquated? 

Questions to ponder this weekend. 

I don't really care what Dolson did to get here; I care about what he's doing while he's here. 

A University President shouldn't be meddling with athletics. If they are, it means the athletic director isn't doing their job. 

The last question is silly. 

1 hour ago, Sea Turtle said:

Good conversation, guys. McRobbie was so horrible. Did you guys hear how he talked to Joe Hillman when they were talking about the next coach?

Dude, you just got rocked like Ken Norton versus Gerry Cooney, and this is what you got? 

main-qimg-88e46fa4a0a362bbc5b68926e5f4e52f.gif.384baa88a6548b28af21ea611cc01582.gif

• Haha 2